Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

negotiating price on cpo -- and understanding added protection plans??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default negotiating price on cpo -- and understanding added protection plans??

negotiating for a cpo a3 cabriolet. at loggerheads over $1000. thinking of asking to throw in any or all of extra warranty / service contract stuff / protection plans, knowing that they are high margin offerings. maybe even offering more for all 4.

experience with any of these offerings. which worth it, particularly if gained in a price negotiation. which are a total waste. what "should" they cost?

--Audi Care Maintenance plan - prepaid scheduled maintence - covers 15k, 25k, 35k, and 45k maintenance intervals. looks like 2 are glorified oil changes and 2 are $300 to 400 services.

--3,4 or 5 yr Audi Pure Protection—Road Hazard, Tire and Wheel

--Audi CPO Pure Protection Term. ( http://goo.gl/SFbM1L ) covers things like brake pads, head lamps, batteries, electrical stuff, alignment.

but then i get lost in understanding the what this is and how it differs from the main cpo wty.. are they they same? what's the difference? says it covers outside the std wty but then lists all the same exclusions.
--Audi CPO Service Contract ( http://goo.gl/lpoBIw )

probably wouldn't instinctively buy these, except for maybe the first two, but as a bargaining chip, might be worth it. thoughts?

hope to rejoin the audi world soon!!
Old 08-23-2015, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Audi CPO Service Contract - adds an extended warranty to your original new car warranty. Is it worth it, compare cost with and without CPO Service Contract and decide the risk. How long will the base warranty last? I probably would get this.

Audi Care Maintenance plan - unless you plan on doing your own maintenance, this is worthwhile. Costs around $900 and you will save at least 30% from dealer maintenance list prices. Save even more if you live in a big expensive city area. I would get this.

Audi CPO Pure Protection Term - prepaid service for wear items. If you can do own brake changes, then you can save on this. If you can use an independent shop for brakes, etc, that would be less costly. How do you drive. How often do you need new brakes? I personally would pass on this.

3,4 or 5 yr Audi Pure Protection—Road Hazard, Tire and Wheel - Do you often drive into curbs or have potholes break your wheels and destroy your tires. If not, take the risk and deal with a loss yourself. Keep your collision coverage deductible low and these will be covered by your auto insurance. If I broke a wheel, take-offs are available on ebay. I would pass on this coverage.

If you have money to burn, get them all.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Audi CPO Service Contract - adds an extended warranty to your original new car warranty. Is it worth it, compare cost with and without CPO Service Contract and decide the risk. How long will the base warranty last? I probably would get this.
If you have money to burn, get them all.
thanks!

so i still don't understand the CPO Service Contract one. let's say i'm looking at a CPO 2015 a3 put into service 10/14, so has approx 3 years left on original new car warranty. then has 2 years of CPO extended warranty. where does the Audi CPO Service contract fit in?
Old 08-24-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by deuxcv
thanks!

so i still don't understand the CPO Service Contract one. let's say i'm looking at a CPO 2015 a3 put into service 10/14, so has approx 3 years left on original new car warranty. then has 2 years of CPO extended warranty. where does the Audi CPO Service contract fit in?
AFAIK, the dealer can CPO or not CPO. It is an option. The CPO extended warranty will add up to 2 years and 50K miles (total 6 years / 100K miles) after the new car warranty expires. You the purchaser will pay for the CPO extended warranty in the price of the car. If you don't want the CPO, the dealer will offer you the car for a lower price.

There is also Audi Care Plus, which covers the 55K, 65K, 75K, 85K and 95K maintenance. You can purchase that when you approach your 55K service.

Perhaps there are more nuances of what you are asking or that others can share. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deuxcv
thanks!

I could be quite wrong on this, but I thought you were entitled to the longer of the new car warranty or the CPO warranty, so in your case you'd be under warranty until 10/17. If you purchase the CPO service contract, you can then extend that out by some number of months / miles. FWIW I purchased my a3 new, and extending the warranty out to 7 years (or was it 8? whatever the longest available term was) was about $2,000.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Va_TTer
I could be quite wrong on this, but I thought you were entitled to the longer of the new car warranty or the CPO warranty, so in your case you'd be under warranty until 10/17. If you purchase the CPO service contract, you can then extend that out by some number of months / miles. FWIW I purchased my a3 new, and extending the warranty out to 7 years (or was it 8? whatever the longest available term was) was about $2,000.
The Audi CPO warranty (service contract) is for used cars and it effectively begins on the day the original new car warranty expires for up to 2 years / 50K miles, which ever comes first. It effectively covers the same items as the new car warranty except for cosmetic items that Audi normally provides 12 month warranty. There is a set deductible for the Audi CPO warranty.

You have purchased an Audi sponsored extended warranty on a new car and that is available in different optional terms (years, mileage, coverage levels, deductibles).

Just to confuse more, there are third party extended warranties that can be purchased for new and used cars at any time such third party is willing to offer and you are willing to pay for this insurance.

So I think we are all saying the same basic thing.