Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Neuspeed Power Module - Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neuspeed Power Module - Engine Failure

Hi all,

I installed a Neuspeed Power Module about a year ago and my car is now in the shop. Audi is saying the following:

"Engine stores 8 faults two for the map sensor and six for misfires. Cylinder #4 has a dead misfire. Swapped coil and plugs and still misfires on #4. Compression on #4 0 psi should be around 150.
Leak down 100% coming from the crank case. The air is escaping the cylinder into the crank case from the piston or rings. Recommend engine replacement. Would require full teardown to determine damage to cylinder walls.

Nuespeed power commander and map sensor installed. This will allow for more boost and incorrect reading to the factory tune on the ecm. Excessive boost leads to knock and piston or engine failure."

Does anyone have any experience with Neuspeed causing this type of damage? Does anyone have any suggestions on how they would proceed? I don't have $10,000 lying around for a new engine. Also, the car is leased and they are saying the aftermarket part voided the warranty. The car was shaking uncontrollably and I didnt have time to remove the Power Module before bringing it in. I know that part is my fault, and I am stressed out enough, so I would appreciate no additional salt in the wounds.

If im screwed, then im screwed...another hard taught life lesson. Im in South Florida - if anyone knows a good shop that may be able to give a second opinion or help with my situation, please let me know.

Last edited by Goldswing; 11-12-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you remove the module before taking it to the dealer?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

No, I did not have time to, the symptoms occurred while driving on the highway and I barely made it to the dealer in the condition it was in.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:39 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Did they tell you what they think is wrong? Broken/failed piston ring? That should not require an engine replacement but obviously an extensive and expensive repair. It is too bad, but those types of things can even happen on stock engines for various reasons.

How many miles do you have and how many before you tuned it?

Last edited by gk1; 11-12-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
Did they tell you what they think is wrong? Broken/failed piston ring? That should not require an engine replacement but obviously an extensive and expensive repair. It is too bad, but those types of things can even happen on stock engines for various reasons.
All the information I have is what I listed about. Seems to a misfire/dead cylinder 4. Exactly what that means or entails, I honestly don't know.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
How many miles do you have and how many before you tuned it?
I think I have about 28,000 miles and probably put it on around 10,000-15,0000.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terrible situation and with it left in place, doesn’t really give you a way out . If removed before going, they would of had no choice to warranty it imo. I’d start looking around for an alternative to get it fixed. The car is a lease, I’d find the cheapest route for a fix and when the time comes turn it right in. My Audi dealer doesn’t void warranty from bolt ons but will for a tune. A piggy back is ok but they said themselves before to take it out before ever bringing the car in. I want a tune in the worst way but a Jb4 is in my future as I want to retain the warranty.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Its time to admit to AOA that you messed-up and "rather than make a huge deal", ask what can AOA do to help. Tell them you don't have the money to fix the car and need help.

2. Ask the dealer the same thing.

If you can get AOA to chip-in and the Dealer to give a decent discount, you could maybe knock the bill 50% or so. The fact is that yes, you might have screwed up, but there is no scientific proof that your ecu caused the engine failure.

If they turn you down; plan B:

Go to BBB and let them know the situation, the WHOLE situation and CC the dealership and AOA on the info you give them.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:32 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh boy this isn't good.

You need to remove the neuspeed and clear all codes before you attempt to bring it to the dealer. It's a given that they would find it.

Man that really sucks I hope you figure something out.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Unfortunately you are in a bad position because the module was discovered, noted and will easily be pointed to as the culprit regardless if it was. You had to know that with your engine issue this would be your undoing. As you said a tough lesson.

I agree with the poster who said to throw yourself at the mercy of all that are involved. Being a leased car compounds the issue as you are legally obligated in returning it in stock, working condition.

I'm sorry you learned this the hard way.

Quick Reply: Neuspeed Power Module - Engine Failure