Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

new Audi owner. Question re S3, wheels, stereo, dynamic mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 09:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Audi owner. Question re S3, wheels, stereo, dynamic mode

I had my 2018 Audi S3 for almost a month now and I love it. Its my first Audi and I must say I’m impreseed for the price I paid for this car. I wish to keep it for a long time like all my previous cars (drove an ‘08 G35 for almost 10 years prior to this). I don’t know much about cars or car stereos etc, I’d appreciate it if you can help answer some questions for me.
I have the 19” 5V 10 spoke wheel, can someone confirm it’s 19x8 et 49? Is it forged and how much does it weigh?

I didn’t get the tech pkg and the B&O stereo. I would like to upgrade my speakers. I’m not looking for superb sound but has to be a bit better than the stock speakers. Can I just change a few speakers or do I need to install an amp? I’m guessing if the stock stereo is good enough to power the B&O speakers then I assume I don’t need a new amp, right? Or perhaps the B&O system has a separate amp installed too?

I drive 100% of the time in Dynamic engine/transmission mode, but the car never remembers the setting. If I turn the car off in Dynamic and then back on, it shows "D" and not "S" in the instrument cluster. Is this intentional by Audi? Is there a way for the car to remember to start in dynamic mode?
​​​​​​​TIA!!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevwang
I drive 100% of the time in Dynamic engine/transmission mode, but the car never remembers the setting. If I turn the car off in Dynamic and then back on, it shows "D" and not "S" in the instrument cluster. Is this intentional by Audi? Is there a way for the car to remember to start in dynamic mode?
TIA!!
That's normal. The EPA requires the powertrain to start in the mode that yields the rated fuel economy. It does remember that you are in 'dynamic' mode as far as steering, suspension etc. is concerend, but the powertrain goes back to 'comfort'/'auto'. All you have to do is pull back on the shifter to put it back in S.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's normal. The EPA requires the powertrain to start in the mode that yields the rated fuel economy. It does remember that you are in 'dynamic' mode as far as steering, suspension etc. is concerend, but the powertrain goes back to 'comfort'/'auto'. All you have to do is pull back on the shifter to put it back in S.
Thank you!
Old 01-23-2018, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn’t get the tech pkg and the B&O stereo. I would like to upgrade my speakers. I’m not looking for superb sound but has to be a bit better than the stock speakers. Can I just change a few speakers or do I need to install an amp? I’m guessing if the stock stereo is good enough to power the B&O speakers then I assume I don’t need a new amp, right? Or perhaps the B&O system has a separate amp installed too?
Yes, you can just change the speakers, the stock system is pretty good, but sure an upgrade should help. The B&O has a different amp.

I had the stock sound in my 2015 S3, and I would recommend a better subwoofer in the same spec so no new wiring or mods. Next, I'd get high-end fronts and tweets if you want to get a little more out of it... but changing the sub would be your best dollar spent IMO.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Yes, you can just change the speakers, the stock system is pretty good, but sure an upgrade should help. The B&O has a different amp.

I had the stock sound in my 2015 S3, and I would recommend a better subwoofer in the same spec so no new wiring or mods. Next, I'd get high-end fronts and tweets if you want to get a little more out of it... but changing the sub would be your best dollar spent IMO.
Thank you! You’re right, the bass is what I’m most disappointed with. I didn’t even know it had a sub until I read it in another forum yesterday, I sure couldn’t tell by just listening, lol. By saying a subwoofer in the same ‘spec’, do you mean the same size and depth? Won’t I need to install a new amp for that to work? Thanks again!
Old 01-25-2018, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you! You’re right, the bass is what I’m most disappointed with. I didn’t even know it had a sub until I read it in another forum yesterday, I sure couldn’t tell by just listening, lol. By saying a subwoofer in the same ‘spec’, do you mean the same size and depth? Won’t I need to install a new amp for that to work? Thanks again!
Yes, one that matches the size to fit in the same spot as the factory one.

First, make sure the sub level is up enough (if your system has that in the Sound settings menu, some don't, I really do think the stock amp is pretty good.

I'd start without a new amp, get a really high-end subwoofer only and see if that helps.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Yes, one that matches the size to fit in the same spot as the factory one.

First, make sure the sub level is up enough (if your system has that in the Sound settings menu, some don't, I really do think the stock amp is pretty good.

I'd start without a new amp, get a really high-end subwoofer only and see if that helps.
Thank you!