Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

New Audi owner - winter issues?

Old 12-01-2018, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by visco266
I had a 2006 Audi A6. I am in MI. Loved the car, but the windows froze in the winter all of the time. I have owned about 13 different manufacturers' cars and this is the only one I had a problem with. Drove a Lincoln for five years afterwards. Last Dec I bought a 2017 Audi A6. Again love the car. And again, the windows freeze and won't go down when there is snow, freezing rain, or heavy dew that then freezes. Didn't Audi figure this out in the 11 years since my last one was manufactured? Frustrating as I have to show an ID to go through a gate to get to work in the morning. I am the only one that has to open my door. In addition, the folding mirrors freeze in the folded position. I have told the dealer about both of these and they just shrug as if it is normal and don't do anything about it.

Microfiche - I recently purchased a tool used to break into locked cars. I work the tool in between the bottom rubber seal and the window and run the tool along the seal and that works. The tool costs around $8.00 on line.
Thank you!
At least one other person has noticed this and finds it strange!
I may have to look at that tool - have been using an old card from my wallet, but sometimes it is just not strong enough.
Like you, I love this car, but the design flaw really baffles me.
From what I can see, a large amount of water gets held between the window and the gasket - so that even if you wipe down, if you raise the window afterwards, the window is soaked.
That water freezes and locks the windows.
Fairly sure on my other vehicles the seal must have been designed to leak a bit so it wasn't holding water there.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Microfiche
if you raise the window afterwards, the window is soaked.
Should say "if you lower and raise the windows afterwards, the window is soaked."
I don't actually wash my car with the windows down.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Windows Frozen

I have observed the same thing regarding water after you roll the windows down. I suspect you are right and that other cars may not seal as close and allow water to get past the seal and glass.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by visco266
I had a 2006 Audi A6. I am in MI. Loved the car, but the windows froze in the winter all of the time. I have owned about 13 different manufacturers' cars and this is the only one I had a problem with. Drove a Lincoln for five years afterwards. Last Dec I bought a 2017 Audi A6. Again love the car. And again, the windows freeze and won't go down when there is snow, freezing rain, or heavy dew that then freezes. Didn't Audi figure this out in the 11 years since my last one was manufactured? Frustrating as I have to show an ID to go through a gate to get to work in the morning. I am the only one that has to open my door. In addition, the folding mirrors freeze in the folded position. I have told the dealer about both of these and they just shrug as if it is normal and don't do anything about it.

Microfiche - I recently purchased a tool used to break into locked cars. I work the tool in between the bottom rubber seal and the window and run the tool along the seal and that works. The tool costs around $8.00 on line.
same here. My windows are constantly frozen, and I also have to scan a card to get to work. Really bothering me. On my other A4 I used to swipe my roadside assistance plastic card between the window and the rubber gasket and that would do the trick, but my Allroad is much tighter and it's not working anymore. A great PITA.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2018 AUDI A3 frozen front sensors/license plate when snowing!

I bought new the Audi A# [fully loaded plus ] the first week I rode home with the snow coming down, inside sensor sound and front end red sensor showing, car stopping] hazardous on Long Island Expressway. Got home luckily, saw front end 'frozen' solid..after defrosting overnight, the sensors were off..Had the car checked and told all is good, just clean the sensors. This happened the 2nd time riding when snow began, same happening, almost got killed with strange behavior of car. due to frozen sensors [could not stop on road again, took pictures, called my slaesperson, spoke with Audi the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time, to tell them the design is faulty and I almost got killed, I want my money back. NOTHING..
THE AUDI A3 IS HAZARDOUS AND HARMFUL WHEN DRIVING WHEN THE SNOW COMES DOWN.,help