Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

New RS3 owner here! Question about these massive front brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RS3 owner here! Question about these massive front brakes and rotors

Hi everyone, wanted to say hello first! I just traded in a 2016 S3 that I owned for 3 years and upgraded to an RS3. I do have a question incoming, but first, a few pictures

(Google drive links)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Iy...L3f5cbux5wNGyW
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zH...CBrbDJAa7KvdLD
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IY...xynSIv4wZMLOWi

NOW! Onto my question!

I've never owned a car with drilled, vented, slotted (or otherwise) rotors, so, coming off of owing an S3 with solid rotors, something I've noticed is that the rotors on the RS3 are loud! They seems to make a constant "click" type noise when not applying brakes (much like a bicycle with something stuck in the spokes), and make a fun "rain stick" sound when applying the brakes. This is only audible when the windows are down and I'm driving near a concrete barrier or a high curb. I'm assuming this is fairly normal for vented / drilled (or otherwise) rotors. If any other RS3 owners could confirm this, that would be great.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-12-2018, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have drilled rotors on my M3. They make no noise that I can hear. I will say that aftermarket pads like Akebono are a good investment. So much less dust! Sweet car.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by d0ubl3ba55
Hi everyone, wanted to say hello first! I just traded in a 2016 S3 that I owned for 3 years and upgraded to an RS3. I do have a question incoming, but first, a few pictures

(Google drive links)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Iy...L3f5cbux5wNGyW
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zH...CBrbDJAa7KvdLD
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IY...xynSIv4wZMLOWi

NOW! Onto my question!

I've never owned a car with drilled, vented, slotted (or otherwise) rotors, so, coming off of owing an S3 with solid rotors, something I've noticed is that the rotors on the RS3 are loud! They seems to make a constant "click" type noise when not applying brakes (much like a bicycle with something stuck in the spokes), and make a fun "rain stick" sound when applying the brakes. This is only audible when the windows are down and I'm driving near a concrete barrier or a high curb. I'm assuming this is fairly normal for vented / drilled (or otherwise) rotors. If any other RS3 owners could confirm this, that would be great.

Thanks everyone!
How many miles on the car? You may need to allow the brake pads to bed in. I have the CCB setup on my RS3 and they don't make noise like you're describing. I've had cross-drilled and slotted rotors on previous cars and they always had a period of time while the brake pads bedded in where they would make some cyclical noises like you're describing.

If it doesn't go away after some time, take the car back to the dealership and have them make sure everything is ok.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have had drilled, slotted, dimpled ect rotors. On most of my cars when the rotors where drilled or dimpled I got that clicking noise. If you are driving and next to a barrier on the driver side while driving. press the brake slightly to slow down you should hear the noise get louder. This does it on my RS3. Just sharing my experience not saying its correct but have been told its nothing to be concerned with.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I can't say I've experienced a clicking noise on high performance brakes ever. I daily an RS5 and regularly drive cars such as the TT RS and R8. I'm gonna be driving the RS3 in a few weeks, so I'll try to pay attention to this. However, high performance brakes are noisier than your average brakes. Slotted rotors more so, then just drilled. Different brake pad compounds also make different noise. I went from the stock drilled rotors on my RS5 to drilled and slotted aftermarket rotors and also different pads. The brakes are noiser now, but not unpleasant. They make sort of a swooshy, low frequency humming noise when coming to a stop and it's basically from the slots passing under the rotors and air/gases escaping. The primary point of drilled/slotted rotors is so that air, debris and gases from the pads can escape. That will make a certain amount of noise. Very important and I keep emphasizing this is to properly burnish your brakes, or otherwise you'll risk uneven brake pad material deposits and subpar performance. If you have the CCBs, then there is additional considerations. The CCBs need to be warm to perform well, so the brake system automatically applies slight pressure to produce friction even when not braking to heat up the pads. That can cause extra noise. Also, the CCBs and standard brakes have the disc wiping feature, so while driving in the rain, the brakes periodically apply pressure to the rotors to wipe the water film off them. So, that could also cause some extra noise. You didn't specify if the noise is weather dependent.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-14-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I can't say I've experienced a clicking noise on high performance brakes ever. I daily an RS5 and regularly drive cars such as the TT RS and R8. I'm gonna be driving the RS3 in a few weeks, so I'll try to pay attention to this. However, high performance brakes are noisier than your average brakes. Slotted rotors more so, then just drilled. Different brake pad compounds also make different noise. I went from the stock drilled rotors on my RS5 to drilled and slotted aftermarket rotors and also different pads. The brakes are noiser now, but not unpleasant. They make sort of a swooshy, low frequency humming noise when coming to a stop and it's basically from the slots passing under the rotors and air/gases escaping. The primary point of drilled/slotted rotors is so that air, debris and gases from the pads can escape. That will make a certain amount of noise. Very important and I keep emphasizing this is to properly burnish your brakes, or otherwise you'll risk uneven brake pad material deposits and subpar performance. If you have the CCBs, then there is additional considerations. The CCBs need to be warm to perform well, so the brake system automatically applies slight pressure to produce friction even when not braking to heat up the pads. That can cause extra noise. Also, the CCBs and standard brakes have the disc wiping feature, so while driving in the rain, the brakes periodically apply pressure to the rotors to wipe the water film off them. So, that could also cause some extra noise. You didn't specify if the noise is weather dependent.
I have a new (1500 miles) RS5 Coupe. In the past 100 miles, I've noticed a significant "grinding" noise when slowing, in city traffic. Not slowing from high speeds, but from say 40 mph to zero at a stoplight. This happens on dry roads, with the car clean and dry, and no water or moisture on the wheels/axle/brakes that I can discern. Is this also a case where the pads need to "set"? If not, am wondering about contacting dealer for a service appt.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the big Brimbo's on my mercedes and they are "loud", but like a swoosh.. They also burn through pads quickly if your are on it all the time. You can get longer lasting pads, but they end up making a god awful squeel if you do.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by kctiger1983
I have a new (1500 miles) RS5 Coupe. In the past 100 miles, I've noticed a significant "grinding" noise when slowing, in city traffic. Not slowing from high speeds, but from say 40 mph to zero at a stoplight. This happens on dry roads, with the car clean and dry, and no water or moisture on the wheels/axle/brakes that I can discern. Is this also a case where the pads need to "set"? If not, am wondering about contacting dealer for a service appt.
Most likely. If you've just been driving the car gently and/or stop&go traffic then your brakes don't have a proper layer of brake pad material on the rotors and now you are grinding directly against the metal. You need to go out for some hard braking to bed your brakes. Proper brake bedding/burnishing procedures can be found if you google it, but essentially it involves speeding up the car to 60/80mph and then step on the brakes to slow it down to almost a full stop, speed up again and rinse and repeat a few times. This heats up the brakes and initiates a controlled pad material transfer. Most importantly when you are done, the brakes need to cool down w/o using them, especially not standing on the brakes while stopped, otherwise the entire pad gets imprinted.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you!!!

Quick Reply: New RS3 owner here! Question about these massive front brakes and rotors