Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

New US RS3 - Wont connect to myAudi Server Error

Old 08-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New US RS3 - Wont connect to myAudi Server Error

Received my RS3 on Friday, all Audiconnect options are initiated and I have checked all of the vehicle settings. Whenever I go into Nav and try to switch to Google Maps aerial view I get the error "cannot connect to myAudi server". Has anyone seen this and have a fix?
Thanks!!
Old 08-08-2017, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. I had same problem. Even logging in manually in the MMI menu using my audi connect login or my 8digit PIN wasn't working. I googled and found the answer. It's a "sloppy code" issue.
Bad unit/systems testing, whoever wrote the code only tested one scenario, and has obviously never supported actual users. lol

The whole thing is FUBAR. Whoever thought it was a good idea to require you linking your VIN to 2 different sites to get this to work is a moron.

According to google and some other audi/vw sites, the issue is caused by our sales guys trying to activate data connection in MMI on the car before we've verified our audiconnect account. Not his fault, he was just trying to help me get everything setup before hand. I'm guessing your guy tried the same thing.

The Fix:
step 1:
Login/create account on myaudiconnect.com, make sure everything there is listed correctly, that your VIN number is correctly linked. (my sales guys initiated this for me, i got an automated email asking me to confirm my email and to setup myaudiconnect.com account, you should have gotten one too, if not, ask your sales guy.)

step 2:
Then Login to audiusa.com/myaudi, setup your account (it's separate site from myaudiconnect), make sure your VIN is correctly linked to your myaudi account here. I had to do this myself, i only heard about it from other guys here on the boards.

Once your VIN # is linked up correctly here, you should see a picture of your car when you login.

Below your car picture, on the right side should be 2 buttons/icons.
  • One for "Audi connect plan" which just redirects you back to myaudiconnect.com which you already did in step 1
  • Another button/icon for "Audi connect services" - click on this icon, it will redirect you my.audi.com (a 3rd ****ing site, genius!) and list the services your mmi will have access to as part of your free trial.

On this new my.audi.com site, on top left, click on MENU icon. it'll expand.
Click on "Audi connect user management"
A screen will display with your My Audi 8 digit Pin number. Click on OK button, and it'll email you with that pin number, or just write it down somewhere. This PIN is what you'll need to login to your car's MMI.

Step 3 - this is the stupid part. According to info i found, if you try to use the data services before myaudiconnect account was verified, you get caught in a loop where it won't let you re-enter your account info/pin no matter how many times you try, and you get that useless generic stupid unhelpful "can't connect to myaudi server" message.

You have to go to the data connections menu in MMI in your car (i think it was in there), and find the setting to turn "Data module off". Don't remember the exact name/navigation, but you'll see it when you see it.
I think it was in same menu where you see the "Log In" option.
It basically turns off the data on the car.

Give it about 30sec to shutoff the data antenna.

Then navigate back to that "Log in" menu option.
Just use your 8 digit myaudi pin and login.

Give it a few minutes to connect, and then you should be able to go back to map settings and turn on Google Earth, and also traffic info will activate on the map as well. When looking at the map on center MMI screen, you should see a little "google" icon in lower right corner. That means you are connected.

Give it a day, and myaudiconnect.com will also refresh, and you can start seeing usage history, and the rest of that functionality will work too.

>>>

Talk about a cluster-eff. Classic German over engineering for something that should be a simple process. 3!! separate sites for one MMI login is insanity. I can only imagine my baby boomer 70+ year old Dad trying to figure this out if this was his car ... LOL

Last edited by Morbo66; 08-08-2017 at 05:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chrizzac (02-19-2020)
Old 08-08-2017, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks--I had this, too. I also wasn't given a SIM card.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John P. (TT 225)
Thanks--I had this, too. I also wasn't given a SIM card.
I think the new my18 come with embedded sim inside the car's computer. My sim card slot in glove box is empty ...
Old 08-09-2017, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was very helpful. Thank you.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Very helpful indeed. I couldn't figure out what I was missing after creating my accounts on myaudi and audiconnect. It's quite complicated. Trying to undestand now how to enable some features like "find my car " in the MMI app . Looks like I have to create the key user contact :
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...etup-Guide.pdf
But I don't see the options in the connect services.

Has anyone manage to use "find my car" ?
Old 08-18-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fboss
Very helpful indeed. I couldn't figure out what I was missing after creating my accounts on myaudi and audiconnect. It's quite complicated. Trying to undestand now how to enable some features like "find my car " in the MMI app . Looks like I have to create the key user contact :
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...etup-Guide.pdf
But I don't see the options in the connect services.

Has anyone manage to use "find my car" ?
Not available in the A3 line. Yeah, would've been nice had they told us that so we didn't waste our time trying to enable
it with a non-existent scratch-off.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mattvandyk
Not available in the A3 line. Yeah, would've been nice had they told us that so we didn't waste our time trying to enable
it with a non-existent scratch-off.
Are you sure? Even the 3rd picture in that brochure depicts an Audi A3.

I use the Car finder on the Audi MMI Connect mobile app and that locates my A3 pretty easy, and that was an initial pain to get that all configured and syncing with the car, and getting the accounts created on the MyAudi page.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gamegenie
Are you sure? Even the 3rd picture in that brochure depicts an Audi A3.

I use the Car finder on the Audi MMI Connect mobile app and that locates my A3 pretty easy, and that was an initial pain to get that all configured and syncing with the car, and getting the accounts created on the MyAudi page.
I am never going to say I am 100% sure of anything when it comes to Audi, but here is my understanding based on (a) some research, (b) talking to AudiConnect customer support (who seemed fairly bewildered and unhelpful, frankly), (c) my dealer swearing he didn't have the scratch-off, (d) the absence of any place to enter a key user in the MMI and (e) I do not see anywhere in the MMI Connect app to control these functions:

1. The suite of AudiConnect Services that require the scratch-off are identification of a key user are the subset of services under ConnectPRIME called "Peace of Mind." These are the more sensitive, privacy/security oriented services, like Geofencing, Speed Alert, Valet Alert, Curfew Alert, Car Finder, Remote Lock/Unlock, and Vehicle Status Reports.

2. As you can see here, these services are not listed on the version of AudiConnect listed for the A3 line (compare the tab for Q7/A4/A5/Q5 with the tab for A3): https://www.audiusa.com/technology/intelligence/audi-connect?ds_kid=43700022091107042&CSREF=SEM%7C10770 960%7C3118667%7C144106565%7C315947276%7C0&gclid=EA IaIQobChMI76zl_Y3j1QIVgrfACh0kvg73EAAYASAAEgLXXfD_ BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

3. Nevertheless, EVERYONE get the same verification confirmation email upon setting up the MyAudi and Audi Connect, which email contains the following passage (which is not relevant to A3 users):

Now, again, I may be wrong here (and I sure hope I am), but I see no evidence other than this wonky email that suggests we have those features. Did you get a scratch off? Were you able to identify a key user? Do you have the Peace of Mind suite if services? If so, can you tell us how you did it?
Old 08-19-2017, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have to say I'm not impressed by Audi Connect. Complicated to configure (why 3 different web sites ??), needs the data Off/On workaround, and only 6 months for the traffic info. In my area (SF bay) the navigation is pretty useless without the traffic info. But there is no way I will pay $400 for 18 months to get it, will just use CarPlay I guess.
Bought a BMW ~ 4 years ago. The traffic info was included during 3 years, and other features (suce as find my car, send destination to car, remote lock, etc) were still activated when I sold it ( I think they expire after 10 years ). There was one account to create, one phone call to make, and everything was functional.