Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

No 2019 RS3! At least for now

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. That’s really interesting and not that surprising as I think about it more. I had been reading a lot of rumors about the new RS Q3 having a new version of the 5-cylinder rumored to have ~420 horsepower, with an expectation for it to be revealed potentially in March and enter production in August/September. Assuming that’s true (which, who knows...), it struck me very odd that Audi would produce both engines simultaneously. It wouldn’t shock me if this an M2 Comp-like moment where they have to go with a new engine for WLTP reasons, which subsequently also is more powerful. Could be wishful thinking but if those production dates are right, it would almost skip the entire production year... making these cars 2020s and providing the opportunity to change the specs...

My only catch is that I know I really, really want the car, but have a lease expiring in April. So I’m not sure what will happen but just gonna have to take it step by step and trust my dealer will figure it out as best as possible.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:08 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BusStopF1
Wow. That’s really interesting and not that surprising as I think about it more. I had been reading a lot of rumors about the new RS Q3 having a new version of the 5-cylinder rumored to have ~420 horsepower, with an expectation for it to be revealed potentially in March and enter production in August/September. Assuming that’s true (which, who knows...), it struck me very odd that Audi would produce both engines simultaneously. It wouldn’t shock me if this an M2 Comp-like moment where they have to go with a new engine for WLTP reasons, which subsequently also is more powerful. Could be wishful thinking but if those production dates are right, it would almost skip the entire production year... making these cars 2020s and providing the opportunity to change the specs...

My only catch is that I know I really, really want the car, but have a lease expiring in April. So I’m not sure what will happen but just gonna have to take it step by step and trust my dealer will figure it out as best as possible.
BusStopF1,

Well I am very confident in the G/M I personally know that when he called me last night what he said was the way it is at Audi.
Of course he was only talking about the RS3 Build & Delivery Dates.
In my case since I chose to go ahead and give them my Challenger Hellcat so they could sale it now and me get today's trade-in-credit.
I will just keep putting more and more monies in savings to pay against the RS3 when Audi does finally start building them and I finally take delivery.

Terry
Old 01-09-2019, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Having driven an RS3 and tracked it at Circuit of the Americas I can say....it's not a car I would wait10+ months for. Engine sounds great, fast in a straight line. That's it. Front understeer is terrible and ruins the driving experience completely. Interior is looking dated, and the ride is severely segregated over an S3.

All I can say is.....as a fellow enthusiast I hope your wait of nearly a year is worth while for you and you enjoy the car. Knowing that after the 2019s arrive in a matter of months the 100% new A3 will launch would make me skip this generation of RS3 all together. If I'm waiting a year for a car it better be a custom-built Lambo, not a RS3
Old 01-09-2019, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one is going to seriously look at a RS3 as a track car, its a 4DR sedan pig. Having said that, its an incredible DD that with a few tweaks delivers supercar performance in stealth mode. With all the delays and issues, all current owners have a very low volume car. It truly is a special car, and with an engine that takes you back to Audi Heritage.

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Having driven an RS3 and tracked it at Circuit of the Americas I can say....it's not a car I would wait10+ months for. Engine sounds great, fast in a straight line. That's it. Front understeer is terrible and ruins the driving experience completely. Interior is looking dated, and the ride is severely segregated over an S3.

All I can say is.....as a fellow enthusiast I hope your wait of nearly a year is worth while for you and you enjoy the car. Knowing that after the 2019s arrive in a matter of months the 100% new A3 will launch would make me skip this generation of RS3 all together. If I'm waiting a year for a car it better be a custom-built Lambo, not a RS3
The following users liked this post:
SkewedLogic (11-19-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones

You stated that the ride is severely segregated over an S3. What does that mean? I upgraded from a 2017 S3. Please explain.
The following users liked this post:
SkewedLogic (11-19-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Different strokes different folks. The RS3 is exactly what I want. May not be perfect for others and I get that. I don’t judge anyone trying the car and concluding they prefer something else. But it’s very presumptuous to assume everyone’s use case, needs, preferences, etc. in this thread are the same as your own. Kudos at least for giving us something to bitch about that isn’t the production delay...
Old 01-10-2019, 03:48 AM

Guys,

As others have said the RS3 is a sedan and it's not meant as an all out race car for the track.
I want it because in my case it's to me the Big-Daddy of our Golf R that's actually my wife's car.
For a DD (Daily Driver) IMO it's going to fit extremely well and I have no desire to actually track it.
Sometimes things don't always work out for us on a quick delivery and it does not have to be about a car.
I'm into my Custom-Home-Theater and in some cases it has taken months and months to do and get certain things for it.
Example, I had it Custom Calibrated and that guy (Technician) lives in another State and travels the USA so you simply stay calm until your turn comes.
I know guys that are buddies of mine that have had no choice but to wait to get their Golf R so it's not all about the RS3.
I'll just add this, if the RS3 is what I have seen in Videos and read about over the years it's a lot faster than our DD so to me it's easily worth the wait.

Wife and I as we just brought the new Golf R home.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 01-10-2019 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So being annoyed about this BS of the production of the RS3, I looked around last night and it seems there are about 200+ RS5 sportbacks sitting in dealers,unsold, right now, this is kind of crazy, why build unsold cars when cars that are sold are not being built? There NFW i'm waiting a year for a RS3, this car would be my wifes daily driver, we figured a MAX of 5 months from order to delivery. And even that was bad enough. Come on Audi get with the program, get Sold cars built FIRST........rant over....lol
Old 01-10-2019, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sinister#4
So being annoyed about this BS of the production of the RS3, I looked around last night and it seems there are about 200+ RS5 sportbacks sitting in dealers,unsold, right now, this is kind of crazy, why build unsold cars when cars that are sold are not being built? There NFW i'm waiting a year for a RS3, this car would be my wifes daily driver, we figured a MAX of 5 months from order to delivery. And even that was bad enough. Come on Audi get with the program, get Sold cars built FIRST........rant over....lol
Hey I can see anyone Ranting over the extended build as well as proposed delivery dates for the RS3.
When I contacted my buddy at Audi and set all this in motion it was going to be a delivery date of like March-April 2019.
Then when the actual order was placed guess what he then finds out from Audi on their system ???
OOPS ...........
Build date of maybe August 2019 which happens to be 8-months from now.
Oh and maybe an actual delivery 2019 date of September-October which is ONLY 9-10 months from now.
My trade in has already been sold as of yesterday so it ain't like I simply (VOID) the deal and go get my trade.

As I have said if I meanwhile as the months roll by start reading all about the 2020 RS3 ???????????
Then more than likely if there are significantly major changes I'm cancelling the 2019 RS3 and reordering the 2020.
Heck if your going to wait so long for the 2019 what difference does it make then to wait longer for the 2020.
My car buddies and wife are saying wait and see what takes place with the 2020 RS3 and if it is really changed then simply order it.

Terry
Old 01-10-2019, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah I agree, I'd do the same for sure and go with a 2020, zero reason to buy a Oct 2019 car unless they offer it at a discount, and a big one. Called my dealer yesterday we will see what they come back with. Just upsetting to say the least

Quick Reply: No 2019 RS3! At least for now