Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Oil fill up thread: how often do you add oil?

Old 05-22-2018, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil fill up thread: how often do you add oil?

Hi,

I had a Polo GTI 2011 for two and a half years and I had to fill up oil every 3000~ KMs. I understand that Audi is not Volkswagen but VAG cars share engines and transmissions.
I spoke with an Audi dealer today and am going to test drive the new RS3 in the next following days.
Can you please share whether you've had the chance to fill up oil at all (except services) and how often if you did?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2018, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've owned a S3 since Sept 2014 and have an incoming RS3. On it's way to Emden now actually. For the S3, which is modified to Stage 2+, I think I added about a 1/4 liter one time in the 25K miles I drove the car. Had Audi change oil at the required intervals but only added oil the 1 time I mentioned. I never tracked my car but I liked to push it when I could. My S3 is seemingly bulletproof. Not a single problem with it. Extremely happy but looking forward to the 5 cylinder in the RS3. I obviously cannot advise on the RS3 at this point however. I'm hoping for the same quality and reliability as my S3.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
I've owned a S3 since Sept 2014 and have an incoming RS3. On it's way to Emden now actually. For the S3, which is modified to Stage 2+, I think I added about a 1/4 liter one time in the 25K miles I drove the car. Had Audi change oil at the required intervals but only added oil the 1 time I mentioned. I never tracked my car but I liked to push it when I could. My S3 is seemingly bulletproof. Not a single problem with it. Extremely happy but looking forward to the 5 cylinder in the RS3. I obviously cannot advise on the RS3 at this point however. I'm hoping for the same quality and reliability as my S3.
Thanks a lot!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

After three and a half weeks and 1630 KMs of breaking in the car I checked the oil level today and it was more than fine. It was a bit above the max line.
So far so good. Very pleasant with the car.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Checked oil level this morning before starting the cart for the first time today and saw that it is half way to the bottom.
Hadn't rechechecked and drove strait to the service garage.
The service guy brought oil with him and we went to the car, together. The engine hadn't had enough time to cool down but the guy decided to check the oil level himself. When he had checked, it seemed full. Can't tell if I made a mistake while checking or it was full because the engine wasn't cool. Only tomorrow morning I'll be able to report back.
Anyhow, he gave me a liter of oil and told me to fill up only if it'll be close to empty.
I'm very concern now. I only completed 3250 kms. I'm having a dejavu to my 2011 polo GTI.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Rechecked the oil level after 3 hours of engine shutdown and, indeed, it looks full.
Will be glad to understand that I've made a mistake
Old 08-16-2018, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a quattro A3 since Nov 2014, never had to add oil to it outside of it's scheduled maintenance windows. I'm thinking it might be smart to get Extended AudiCare now.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gamegenie
Had a quattro A3 since Nov 2014, never had to add oil to it outside of it's scheduled maintenance windows. I'm thinking it might be smart to get Extended AudiCare now.
First, I wouldn't assume that VAG cars are oil thirsty. I had a polo GTI and read and heard about many cases where owners needed to fill up oil once in a while.
Second, I'm not based in the US so I have no idea what's extended audicare.
I can live with filling up oil once a year. That's not a problem but filling up every 3500 kms is not acceptible.
Having said the above, as I mentioned above it might have been a mistake of mine while checking

Thanks anyway
Old 08-16-2018, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eran Levi
First, I wouldn't assume that VAG cars are oil thirsty. I had a polo GTI and read and heard about many cases where owners needed to fill up oil once in a while.
Second, I'm not based in the US so I have no idea what's extended audicare.
I can live with filling up oil once a year. That's not a problem but filling up every 3500 kms is not acceptible.
Having said the above, as I mentioned above it might have been a mistake of mine while checking

Thanks anyway
I'm not talking about for you. I'm talking about getting it for myself. I already had Audi Care and it ended after my 45K service check, it only cost me under $800 when I took delivery of the car but it saved me a lot as far as cost goes as those oil and filter services go up significantly.
I'm contemplating going for the Extended Audi Care now.
You can continue to do what you want with your A3.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Neither of my S3's needed topping off at any mileage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil fill up thread: how often do you add oil?