Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

One spare to rule them all (building an RS3 spare tire)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default One spare to rule them all (building an RS3 spare tire)

Hi All
Since I'll likely have to mail order a replacement tire if/when I need to replace one, and the US-spec RS3 doesn't come with a spare tire, I'm thinking of building my own spare to save some downtime and possibly a tow.
I've got the staggered setup so am wondering if I can get away with a single tire (presumably the 235/35R19) and wheel to serve in any location or if I need to get one of each size? I'd like to get an OEM clone, just to keep
the look consistent, but will likely just go with whatever looks reasonable and cheap on tirerack, since the idea is just to have spare while I'm waiting to get replacement tires in and mounted, although that could be a week or more....

What do you think would be the way to go?

Thanks,

scot
I'm considering this at tire rack - with a stock tire: https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...01AMF&i2_Qty=1
Old 04-23-2019, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe just buy the same space saver that comes in the s3? some guys selling theirs online for like 100$

-saves space
-less of a hassle to install
-less weight
-less cost

Who cares what it looks like? It will be on for a day at the most. And its a double ended problem. Look like a weirdo with a strange discolored wheel that differs in size and shape that the others. Or the lame tiny black space saver- but really how lame is it? everyone gets flats.. they will understand.. don't be so concerned about that- in this type of situation especially..

maybe you can even get all the parts from the s3 to keep in stored away under the mat. It is good piece of mind to have it back there for sure...
By the way how were you planning on storing the wheel you get from tirerack? If at your house then its a fail because you wont have the wheel when you need it. And if you bring that beast into the car it will take up the entire trunk and slam into everything..

Last edited by markN1689; 04-23-2019 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:05 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by markN1689
maybe just buy the same space saver that comes in the s3? some guys selling theirs online for like 100$

-saves space
-less of a hassle to install
-less weight
-less cost

Who cares what it looks like? It will be on for a day at the most. And its a double ended problem. Look like a weirdo with a strange discolored wheel that differs in size and shape that the others. Or the lame tiny black space saver- but really how lame is it? everyone gets flats.. they will understand.. don't be so concerned about that- in this type of situation especially..

maybe you can even get all the parts from the s3 to keep in stored away under the mat. It is good piece of mind to have it back there for sure...
By the way how were you planning on storing the wheel you get from tirerack? If at your house then its a fail because you wont have the wheel when you need it. And if you bring that beast into the car it will take up the entire trunk and slam into everything..
I like your idea ^^^

Terry
Old 04-23-2019, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

this is just a hunch but i am guessing that space saver from the S3 won't fit over the RS3's brakes. there is a whole thread on another audi forum that has aftermarket wheels which will actually fit the RS3. it is not a very long list and from reading, the issue seems to be brake clearance.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:20 PM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by signde
this is just a hunch but i am guessing that space saver from the S3 won't fit over the RS3's brakes. there is a whole thread on another audi forum that has aftermarket wheels which will actually fit the RS3. it is not a very long list and from reading, the issue seems to be brake clearance.
signde,

That makes perfect sense since the RS3 has those huge 8-piston brake calibers up front.

Terry
Old 04-23-2019, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

i believe the only way it would work is on the rears. so if you got a rear flat, you'd be okay. if you got a front flat, you'd have to move one of the backs to the front, then use the dummy in the back. if you're stuck on the side of the road, i don't quite know how you'd manage that with one jack.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, I think the issue is the brakes, and living in Hawaii, I would likely need to run a spare wheel for a week or more as I await shipment of a replacement. That's why I was thinking of a "real" spare.
Do you think I need one of each fitting, or could I run the smaller spec tire on the front for a while if I had to?

Thanks,
scot
Old 04-23-2019, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by zzcett
Yeah, I think the issue is the brakes, and living in Hawaii, I would likely need to run a spare wheel for a week or more as I await shipment of a replacement. That's why I was thinking of a "real" spare.
Do you think I need one of each fitting, or could I run the smaller spec tire on the front for a while if I had to?

Thanks,
scot
To the point of running different size tires, the staggered setup has slightly different radius tires anyway, smaller (and wider) in front. 255/30 19 fronts (806 revs per mile) vs 235/35 19 rear (792 revs per mile), or just under 2% difference. I think there was a post somewhere discussing that the Haldex system can deal with a few percent difference (maybe 5? I can't remember), and I wouldn't think it matters if it's just a difference between the front and back vs side to side. I would think for a week or two you'd be OK? Probably safer to run a square setup if it's that much of a worry...

In any case, carrying one spare seems tough enough to fit in the trunk, I think two would not be possible.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zzcett

Thanks,
scot
i don't own an RS3 yet but i've read just about every thread on this forum and others about the RS3 tires. i've seen slightly mixed results but there are folks moving from the staggered setup to square setup. the staggered setup is really only for performance. the square setup will allow rotation so you'll get much longer life. there's some debate that this causes traction control engage more often but i've read more folks not having that experience than those who do. the stock pirellis don't seem to last long at all, especially in the staggered setup. i'll likely swap them out for a square Michelin Pilot Sport 4S once they have run their course.

i don't know about running a single tire in an odd size with the staggered setup but i would think at worst you might get some TPMS warnings and or occasional TC warnings but nothing you couldn't live with for a couple weeks.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nate
In any case, carrying one spare seems tough enough to fit in the trunk, I think two would not be possible.
Indeed! My thought is to just keep it or them at home. Probably easier and cheaper to have someone bring me a spare tire/wheel on a small island than to get a tow.

Quick Reply: One spare to rule them all (building an RS3 spare tire)