Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Parking at the airport?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking at the airport?

This is my first time owning an Audi so I'm probably being overly cautious but I'm curious if any of you have experience parking your vehicle at the airport for a week? I often have to take work trips and I'd like to have a peace of mind dropping my vehicle off at the parkade for the week while I'm gone. I probably don't have anything to worry about because I often see nice vehicles there, but I'd appreciate any anecdotes others might have.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2015, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yep, my wife takes the TT to the airport for a week (Seattle) at time about every month or two and so far not a single issue. I must admit that after the first time I was expecting door dings galore, but the Audi is still shiny and dent free

Recently there was a story about someone having the wheels stolen off of their car while it was parked in the Seattle AP parking structure. Now I'm researching wheel locks.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

airport parking= super expensive.
airport parking= risky
airport parking=fail

uber (or a town car equivelent) = super cheap
leaving car in garage and getting picked up saves time and is cheaper and more easy.
Hope that gives you the peace of mind ytou were looking for?
Old 07-20-2015, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markN1689
airport parking= super expensive.
airport parking= risky
airport parking=fail

uber (or a town car equivelent) = super cheap
leaving car in garage and getting picked up saves time and is cheaper and more easy.
Hope that gives you the peace of mind ytou were looking for?
Second that.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I would never leave my Audi in an airport lot. I live 70 miles from my nearest major airport and it is $135 each way plus tolls in a rusted local taxi, but still I'd rather pay that than leave the Audi where I have seen travelers in a hurry throw their back door open to get a piece of luggage and smash right into the car next to them. I am considering getting a second car, a beater. to use for just such situations. As it is now, I defer a lot of personal travel (I am retired) because of anxiety over maybe having to park at the airport if I can't get a taxi at the odd hours many flights are available. In the winter the folks that plow the Albany International Airport parking lots have been known to sideswipe cars - no way! Ugh!
Old 07-21-2015, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I occasionally park my S3 at the airport here in DC. It does make me a little nervous, so I try to find an out-of-the-way spot (ideally next to a column or something in the garage). So far, no problems.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Parking at the airport? Never!
Old 07-22-2015, 05:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I travel all the time, I park my a6 at the airport garage. I make sure to park next to a column or a barrier. Typically along the edge of the garage, never in the middle. Also I would never park out in the open parking lots, here in the south, severe summer storms with hail is pretty common so i make sure to have overhead cover.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I don't usually have a choice. I fly for work, and have to drive into Logan weekly. Two incidents in the past on an immaculately maintained 2013 GTI. Once I trashed a wheel going around a super tight curve with high curbs on either side--my fault. And once I returned to my car at night, and had a super deep dent on the passenger door, right on the crease. It was a $600 repair. I filed an incident report, hoping there were CCTV cameras that would prove where it happened: Denied by MassPort. Appealed; Denied. Was out of control mad. I have always tried to find a spot isolated by posts, or no park zones, but it is not always the case. I have been taking my '15 A5 in for the last few months, leaving way early to be able to drive around and find an isolated spot, but not always the case. It's a $150 r/t taxi fare, and if it's not Monday morning (when I know there will be plenty of spaces to choose from) I've been taking a cab. Other wise, I snap time stamped photos of all 4 sides of my car and the plates of the cars around mine--probably overkill, I know, but people are so careless with their own cars, let alone my sweet black beast: avoid if at all possible!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

At my airport locals park their second or third cars in the covered airport garage in the winter when a big storm is expected. When that happens it is near impossible to find any covered spot, let alone one near a post or column. This past February I flew to Mexico and got to the airport at 4 AM for a 7:15 AM departure thinking I’d have time to find a safe indoor spot. I spent over an hour going up and down every ramp and I ended up parking outdoors a 15 minute walk back to the terminal. Luckily I had taken my Mexico host’s Forester not my Audi. She doesn’t mind stuff happening to her car (“hey, it’s just a car”) and I was taking care of it while she was away in Mexico, so I didn’t really feel bad. What a cur I am - lol