AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-mkii-209/)
-   -   Please Help anyone? Constant Traction control problems Rs3 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-mkii-209/please-help-anyone-constant-traction-control-problems-rs3-2964231/)

carriondeath 12-18-2018 01:32 PM

Please Help anyone? Constant Traction control problems Rs3

As the title mentions, I have been having constant esc light flashing for the past month. Long story short, had the tires replaced as I assumed the stock ones were just worn out ahead of time ( they had decent thread left) . Have the staggered Rs3 set up, got same specs continentals . Problem got a little better but did not go away .

Dealer had the car for a day, they say nothing can be done(as they found nothing) and I need to buy the OEM tires before inspections can continue? : | (no guarantee this is it, and the new tires are barely 2 weeks on the car)

This usually happens on cold starts, but happens on the freeway here and there. Light flashes, I lose throttle until I release and light turns off. I cant drive this car, let alone enjoy it !

I do not have the old tires anymore, spending another 1000 for tires ( with installation ) and no guarantee is madness. Would appreciate any help or insight. Dealer noted no damage or anything out of alignment and no fault codes were found . What can I do : ( . They did drive it and replicate the issue though..

Rans09vert 12-18-2018 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by carriondeath (Post 25250338)
As the title mentions, I have been having constant esc light flashing for the past month. Long story short, had the tires replaced as I assumed the stock ones were just worn out ahead of time ( they had decent thread left) . Have the staggered Rs3 set up, got same specs continentals . Problem got a little better but did not go away .

Dealer had the car for a day, they say nothing can be done(as they found nothing) and I need to buy the OEM tires before inspections can continue? : | (no guarantee this is it, and the new tires are barely 2 weeks on the car)

This usually happens on cold starts, but happens on the freeway here and there. Light flashes, I lose throttle until I release and light turns off. I cant drive this car, let alone enjoy it !

I do not have the old tires anymore, spending another 1000 for tires ( with installation ) and no guarantee is madness. Would appreciate any help or insight. Dealer noted no damage or anything out of alignment and no fault codes were found . What can I do : ( . They did drive it and replicate the issue though..

Same issue here! Original tires. I have 4500 miles on my RS3. Took it to the dealer. Said no fault codes, cannot duplicate. So told nothing wrong. 2-3 times per drive it randomly flashes and I lose power. I can be going a steady 25 mph in a straight line, completely dry road surface and it occurs for no reason.

I don t know what to do either.

rynrynryn 12-18-2018 02:46 PM

I had this problem when i bought a set of winter tires/rims. Took them a day and a half in the shop to figure out one of the tires--received by them as a set--was very slightly the wrong size. check all four.

Rans09vert 12-19-2018 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by rynrynryn (Post 25250359)
I had this problem when i bought a set of winter tires/rims. Took them a day and a half in the shop to figure out one of the tires--received by them as a set--was very slightly the wrong size. check all four.

As stated, I have original tires. Wrong tire size is not the issue in my case.

carriondeath 12-19-2018 09:32 AM

Hey Ryn, double checked the tires all the same specs ( load, size, rage, rating ) really not sure. The issue was more pronounced with the old tires though, it was happening before I got the new ones (OEM tires had the issue but a little worse ).

Might be nomalish for the cars? Wonder if the traction control software is not up to snuff, wonder if enough people have this issue Audi would take a closer look at the cars.

andru1313 12-19-2018 10:59 AM

I have this issue with OEM wheels and tires. I also have it with my winters which is a square set up. I have less of an issue with my summers which are also a square set up but have never been able to have it completely go away. Freaks me out when it happens and have had the dealer make a note of it. they said they were not able to replicate it. I really notice it when accelerating in a turn.

rynrynryn 12-19-2018 03:11 PM

weird! It can't be THAT common or I'd think the service department would comment on it when it happened to me. Does it happen more in one driving mode than another? Not that it makes the problem less irritating. If they can't fix it that sounds like a lemon problem.

Rans09vert 12-19-2018 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by rynrynryn (Post 25250768)
weird! It can't be THAT common or I'd think the service department would comment on it when it happened to me. Does it happen more in one driving mode than another? Not that it makes the problem less irritating. If they can't fix it that sounds like a lemon problem.

It is common.
If “they” state nothing is wrong, then “they” say there is no problem. So not a lemon issue. Things like this occur all the time with service departments. I’ve had a 2015 A3, 2017 S3, and currently a 2018 A3, and 2018 RA3 all with horrible speaker rattle in the back cover behind the rear seats. The service department can hear all of them (able to reproduce to my service department) yet there is no fix. Audi has no official fix. It’s very common. Another post on this forum. The service departments comment is we don’t have any complaints on this. Nothing to fix. They try new subwoofers but it doesn’t work.

Dont mean to go off topic, but Audi has no fix for the traction control issue but should. They should have a fix for the speaker rattle, but don’t. And they do t have fixes for other issues and should.

rynrynryn 12-19-2018 04:05 PM

i can't help but think some service departments are shadier than others. I don't know what the protocol is for getting something replaced as a lemon but excessive traction control issues at random times with random speeds would probably qualify. there is no way they can argue that it's functioning as intended, and if they can't fix it, they have to replace it.

Spinnetti 12-20-2018 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by rynrynryn (Post 25250789)
i can't help but think some service departments are shadier than others. I don't know what the protocol is for getting something replaced as a lemon but excessive traction control issues at random times with random speeds would probably qualify. there is no way they can argue that it's functioning as intended, and if they can't fix it, they have to replace it.

First, check your tire pressures. a low tire effectively reduces the rolling diameter causing a differential the wheel sensors can read. Also, replacing it with the same design won't fix anything. Document your service visits and read up on your states lemon laws. Not like you would come out of that happy anyway. Make sure sizes and pressures are all correct, then find a dealer who's willing to push it with Audi to get an engineer to look at the issue.