Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Pothole Damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pothole Damage

Hit a pothole yesterday and cut a tire and bent a wheel. <900 miles on the car! Tire not leaking, but integrity clearly compromised. Although wheel can probably be repaired, I may opt for a new one since car is so new. I'll get a replacement tire from Tire Rack. Anyone have any idea what a new 19-inch wheel will cost?

Wonderful Northern Virginia roads ... NOT!
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2015, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bummer....
The rim does not look that bad. Barring any cracks I'd clean it up and watch for a rim to come up for sale or put feelers out for a rim from a crashed S3.
I have no idea what they cost from Audi but my experience in buying replacement OEM rims from the vehicle dealer is that they seem to thing they are very dear and charge unreasonable amounts.

Many of us have the same rims and would be interested in what you hear from you dealer.

I lived in Loudoun County for a few years and was always surprised how some roads were.
Now back in west central PA we also have roads that are potholed pretty bad.

On a side note, I once pinch flatted and broke two passenger side rims when I hit a hole hat eroded into the road from the berm. Very upsetting.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

What size wheel/tire is this? I stuck with the base 245/45 18” tires/wheels on my A6 for fear of such damage with the sexy looking lower profile setups. I am considering 255/40x19’s on my next one, but seeing your damage has me concerned again. There are shops around that likely cold fix the wheel shown in your photo. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I had to take a guess, I'd say a 19" arm-wing wheel will probably run you around $400 a wheel.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Squalo
Hit a pothole yesterday and cut a tire and bent a wheel. <900 miles on the car! Tire not leaking, but integrity clearly compromised. Although wheel can probably be repaired, I may opt for a new one since car is so new. I'll get a replacement tire from Tire Rack. Anyone have any idea what a new 19-inch wheel will cost?

Wonderful Northern Virginia roads ... NOT!
Three weeks after I took delivery I got a tear in my tire just like yours after rubbing a curve. The wheel was spared, but I got a new Conti SP5 from tire rack. Ordered it on a Monday morning and I had the tire Tuesday afternoon. I had it sent right to my guy. Tire Rack was by far the best deal out there. I feel your pain bro. I will understand if you replace the wheel. It's hard to look at a scar on a thing of such beauty.

Last edited by mikele; 06-14-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
What size wheel/tire is this? I stuck with the base 245/45 18” tires/wheels on my A6 for fear of such damage with the sexy looking lower profile setups. I am considering 255/40x19’s on my next one, but seeing your damage has me concerned again. There are shops around that likely cold fix the wheel shown in your photo. Good luck.
235/35-19. It's the standard S3 OEM.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Squalo,

From another No Va guy, I feel for you. Not as bad, but I managed to get a construction screw in my new S3 with under 150 miles of time. Costco repaired the slight puncture (not on the side wall thankfully) for $16. I'm going to blame the screw on a trip into DC, where BTW the potholes are equally bad if not worse. Frankly, it's a crime how our road $$$ are managed.

Let us all know what you end up paying for a new wheel, if you go that route.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FireBornKen
Squalo,

From another No Va guy, I feel for you. Not as bad, but I managed to get a construction screw in my new S3 with under 150 miles of time. Costco repaired the slight puncture (not on the side wall thankfully) for $16. I'm going to blame the screw on a trip into DC, where BTW the potholes are equally bad if not worse. Frankly, it's a crime how our road $$$ are managed.

Let us all know what you end up paying for a new wheel, if you go that route.
Wheel was $700. My insurance covered it
Old 06-22-2015, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Dealer talked me into $700 lifetime wheel and tier warranty. Glad I did it now. I have them replacing one tire (at 4000 miles) because of a screw. One more, or a bent wheel and it will be a bargain. Knowing my luck that is highly likely over the next couple of years.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Which insurance? Your regular comprehensive auto or do you have a wheel/tire package? I tried to get my destroyed wheel replaced under comprehensive in NYS a few years back and the insurer said "not covered." The wheel at the time was about $500 and I replaced two tires so they would be same size/wear on that axle.
Back in 2006 I had the wheel/tire insurance sold by my Audi dealer. I had a case of hitting a pothole and the edge of said pothole scraping/mangling the wheel a lot (like mega curb rash). The coverage plan they had sold me when I got the car said "not covered." The small print indicated wheels were covered only when wheel damage was the result of a tire blowout/failure. I cancelled the covered and got a pro-rata refund.

Quick Reply: Pothole Damage