Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Rear Dashcam Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Dashcam Install

Has anyone successfully run a rear dashcam cable from the front tot he back along the headliner or even the floor? I tried to run a fishing tape back using a video from Youtube as reference, but that was on a hatch with a bit more access, and I have full side curtain airbags which seem to get in the way and I don't want them to blow up. I got the front one up okay but the rear camera cable is just chilling ATM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sbruno624
Has anyone successfully run a rear dashcam cable from the front tot he back along the headliner or even the floor? I tried to run a fishing tape back using a video from Youtube as reference, but that was on a hatch with a bit more access, and I have full side curtain airbags which seem to get in the way and I don't want them to blow up. I got the front one up okay but the rear camera cable is just chilling ATM.
i run a rear dash cam. in my case the rear cam is powered by the cig lighter in the trunk. however i do have cables running from the trunk to the front. in fact my front dash cam runs to the back for power. i also have a power extension for my power inverter in the rear that runs front to back... basically my power station is in the trunk -if you have not seen my other thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ds-s3-2928232/

just go under the plastic parts. you will need to at least loosen the lower plastic by the doors. and use a plastic pry tool to squeeze the wires inside at the tight spots..
dont worry to much about the airbag pillar. just remove the one screw under the airbag emblem and pull the thing back a little (you DO NOT need to remove it entirely) just enough to sneak some cables in there...

Last edited by markN1689; 10-17-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markN1689
i run a rear dash cam. in my case the rear cam is powered by the cig lighter in the trunk. however i do have cables running from the trunk to the front. in fact my front dash cam runs to the back for power. i also have a power extension for my power inverter in the rear that runs front to back... basically my power station is in the trunk -if you have not seen my other thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ds-s3-2928232/

just go under the plastic parts. you will need to at least loosen the lower plastic by the doors. and use a plastic pry tool to squeeze the wires inside at the tight spots..
dont worry to much about the airbag pillar. just remove the one screw under the airbag emblem and pull the thing back a little (you DO NOT need to remove it entirely) just enough to sneak some cables in there...

So I ran the cable for the front camera down the pillar and into the fuse box. I got frustrated with the rear cable and ran it there and just have it wrapped up until I can figure out what to do. So you ran the power and the rear camera cable to the back of the car along the bottom door trim? Was the cable for the rear camera long enough? I want to attach the camera to the brake light because I dont want the tape on the tint so that was my concern at this point, length. That and getting the cable from the bottom of the car, back up the D? pillar, and along the roof line
Old 10-21-2017, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So I ran the cable for the front camera down the pillar and into the fuse box. I got frustrated with the rear cable and ran it there and just have it wrapped up until I can figure out what to do. So you ran the power and the rear camera cable to the back of the car along the bottom door trim? Was the cable for the rear camera long enough? I want to attach the camera to the brake light because I dont want the tape on the tint so that was my concern at this point, length. That and getting the cable from the bottom of the car, back up the D? pillar, and along the roof line
hmm... how do you plan on powering the cam? cig lighter? fuse tap? i only ask because if its a cig lighter your going to want to leave the bulky cig lighter end in place and use the smaller usb end to navigate the small passages

my rear cam wire goes along the upper part of window onto a pillar then i think i go down towards the seat in order to get into the rear truck carpeted area or maybe i go under the fabric trunk deck (where the speakers grills are). now that i'm sitting here typing i remember when i first installed it and i actually had to bring the wire out from under the speaker grills. i have since fixed that.. i just don't remember exactly what i did.. most likely traveling down towards the seat and into the trunk

yeah... amazon will be your best friend while dealing with wires/cables lengths needed

if your in the SD area i can help out.

Last edited by markN1689; 10-21-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Right now the front cam is hardwired to a Powermagic pro.I figured Id have to basically run it the same way you would run a subwoofer power cable, somehow get it up to the d ipllar, and into the headliner.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Do any of you that are running rear dash cams have tint on the rear window? If so, what percentage opaqueness? I plan on getting tint installed and wondering if there is still decent visibility for rear cams, or if it's pointless.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BayBredBry
Do any of you that are running rear dash cams have tint on the rear window? If so, what percentage opaqueness? I plan on getting tint installed and wondering if there is still decent visibility for rear cams, or if it's pointless.
Well, i have 25% tint on the back, it seems like it would be fine during the day but it may struggle at night. Ive been to lazy to hook up the camera and test but Ive seen video of rear cameras with tint, and most if them are decent with the new Starvis sensor in night booster mode or whatever they call it
Old 05-02-2018, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, i have 25% tint on the back, it seems like it would be fine during the day but it may struggle at night. Ive been to lazy to hook up the camera and test but Ive seen video of rear cameras with tint, and most if them are decent with the new Starvis sensor in night booster mode or whatever they call it
I usually go 5% in the back, but I've also never had a rear dash cam either. I guess I'll hold off on tinting until i do more research. Right now I'm leaning towards prioritizing a rear camera. I'm not sure what Starvis is but I'll look into it. Thanks for the info!
Old 05-03-2018, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i use the audi rear sunshade which fits behind the dash cam and provides the same effect as tint. plus its easily removable.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BayBredBry
I usually go 5% in the back, but I've also never had a rear dash cam either. I guess I'll hold off on tinting until i do more research. Right now I'm leaning towards prioritizing a rear camera. I'm not sure what Starvis is but I'll look into it. Thanks for the info!
I think you would be okay. During the day it wouldn't really matter, especially where you live where 5% is legal - more than enough sun to go around. At night, it would of course have an effect but headlights still will shine through and if you do get hit, that would definitely be picked up. Starvis is just a newer sensor made by Sony, they work better in low light. The camera I have has a Starvis sensor and IQ is quite nice. Most camera's will also allow you to bump the exposure a few E/V's, which is essentially you telling the camera to calculate what it thinks exposed is, and then over or under expose based on your values. This is good because the camera through a 5% tint would adjust exposure for the bright headlights, and not expose for the darker areas that the tint doesn't let through. I would look for a camera that has a night mode, and one that allows you to mess with the exposure settings, and that way you can still have the 5% tint. I have mine mounted right at the edge of the 3rd brake light on the plastic bit, the lens is almost touching the glass, but if its a super big concern, you can always mount the camera with some command strips where you want it to go, start recording, use some index cards to see where the FOV is for the lens, and just have your tinter cut a notch out for the camera. In all thought I think you would be fine with the tint, cameras are good at capturing something in low light. It may be noisy and wont win any awards, but if you get hit it would be something.

Quick Reply: Rear Dashcam Install