Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Resonator delete sound question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmay
Tell that to owners of Evos or Subie STIs. I don't think it sounds angry unless you're punching it. Btw, didn't you test drive it before purchase?
I did, but all the S3s at the dealership had res delete. I love the car overall. I can always buy the resonator if I hate it.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M0J0
I did, but all the S3s at the dealership had res delete. I love the car overall. I can always buy the resonator if I hate it.
I see, well maybe it'll grow on you after a while. I don't notice a drone personally. I also tend to listen to my B&O a lot when driving. How about listening to some high quality tunes and cranking it?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hmmm...everyone is different I guess. I like the sound of the res delete and don’t notice any drone. I’ve owned a couple of cars with bad drone, and this isn’t one of them. Drone to me is low humming frequency that fills the cabin and becomes irritating after a while. All I hear in my car is a little exhaust burble. It’s a sporty car and I don’t mind it sounding like one.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

+1
Old 06-20-2018, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is massive drone around 3K rpm.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You can buy my resonator - I'll be taking mine out shortly lol. On my bug I sold recently, I didn't even have mufflers - just the resonator and it sounded great. Its too quiet stock for me.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Okay, now I’m starting to wonder if somehow your kit was not installed properly. I went out for a drive on the highway this evening and got up to a cruising speed with 3K on the tach. Honestly, all I can hear is some wind noise and some tire noise. There is no exhaust drone at all.

My Resonator Delete Kit is an actual Audi part and was purchased from a Audi dealer. When my installer finished installing the kit I ask him how it was to install. He was surprised that it didn’t have flanges and he actually had to cut the pipe a second time so that it would line up perfectly with the kit. He tested it for leaks and said it was perfect. I don’t know how else you could so much drone, and I have none at all. It might be worth checking out at a muffler shop or something.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In Comfort mode on a 70+ speed cruise all I here is wind/road noise too. As I accelerate to pass it the exhaust note comes into play. Works for me!
Old 06-22-2018, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ducrider61

Okay, now I’m starting to wonder if somehow your kit was not installed properly. I went out for a drive on the highway this evening and got up to a cruising speed with 3K on the tach. Honestly, all I can hear is some wind noise and some tire noise. There is no exhaust drone at all.

My Resonator Delete Kit is an actual Audi part and was purchased from a Audi dealer. When my installer finished installing the kit I ask him how it was to install. He was surprised that it didn’t have flanges and he actually had to cut the pipe a second time so that it would line up perfectly with the kit. He tested it for leaks and said it was perfect. I don’t know how else you could so much drone, and I have none at all. It might be worth checking out at a muffler shop or something.
I test drove two different S3s and they sounded the same.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Been paying more attention to the engine sound lately when I'm driving, including around 3K RPM and I think it sounds fantastic. Don't know what to tell you but that's not a drone sound IMO.

Quick Reply: Resonator delete sound question