Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Retrofitting: Audi Drive Select (Kinda retrofit)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retrofit: Audi Drive Select in premium car.

So I've been toying with the car since I've gotten it and wanted to try and figure out a way to enable the ADS in my Premium car. Long story short, there isn't really a way that I was able to figure out successfully with VCD cable.

As far as I got was enabling the steering to be firmer permanently and showing the ADS screen on the MMI without any actual options to choose from.

After some debating about taking a chance, I figured, hell I should just buy the ADS retrofitting that I've seen on EU audi website. Got the part number and then ordered from Genuine Audi OEM Parts & Accessories Online - Bernardi Parts. They had 10% off I think on first purchases and it cost me roughly $250 bucks.

Bernardi contacted me stating they would need my VIN number and that the part is a special order directly from Audi headquarters in Germany. I would not be able to return it since it was special order as well.

A few weeks later I get the "parts" and its literally two wires and a bunch of zip wires. Let me repeat that, two wires and zip ties!!! What you are really buying is the licensing rights to enable ADS which is a code they give you that can only be activated with your specific VIN/Car.

You don't necessarily need the center button, but I already had it because I hooked up my Bilsteins to it. Took me about an hour to wire everything up properly as you have to take out a few pieces to have easy access to the Central module in the footwell near the hood release.

Now that everything is installed, I still can't actually do the next part which requires a dealership to enable with their VAS system that then phones home to Audi Wolfsberg to activate with the code. I have the appointment with my dealership on Tuesday - hopefully they know what they are doing and can activate the efficiency mode too which is available.

Below is the instructions and some pictures of the "parts". So I guess that solves that mystery with VCD - no dice.

Last edited by mroberte; 10-21-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like a fail. must be that karma coming around from when you mocked a dieing veteran suffering from PTSD.

...fool
Old 10-18-2015, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Relevance? Yes, he died because of his foolish behavior.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Called up a few other dealerships to see cost. $200 range seems to be what they charge to get their VAS system out. One dealership said they would not do it and would void warranty if its shown to malfunction. I stated, that makes no sense that a direct audi part would void warranty - hung up. Second dealership was about $170 but would guarantee they could get it done since they were unsure of it and never done it before. Car is at SF service center and will take 1.5 days to do. Makes no sense - they are going to make sure efficiency mode is functional through the ADS.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you saying the second dealership said that "would guarantee" even though they were unsure and never done it before???

Hmmm. Keep us posted on the updates.
I'd like to know how they are going to make sure Efficiency Mode is functional. AFAIK no Audis in America have it.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, I meant would not guarantee. Typing too fast.

In the manual with the activation code, there is the instructions for the efficiency mode which is done via the VAS tablet thing. Hoping they figure it out as the manual says all engines expect the 1.2Liter can have it activated. Who knows what it actually does tho.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep me posted.

I know someone on one of these forums said they enabled Efficiency Mode via VCDs but they could not confirm if it actually worked.

Is VAS the official tool the Audi dealer uses? If this works out, I'm going to scream at Audi USA and ask them to set me up an appointment to get this feature enabled.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ya, the VAS is the official tool Audi/VW uses to enable features on the car. Some of the features must be activated through headquarters. I'll let you know what they say, will most likely pick the car up on Thursday morning.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:06 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Okay, I'm gonna chime in...

What you want done is actually rediculously simple. It's a matter of popping off one switch panel and popping on another. The two wires that came with your retrofit kit go into the existing connector on the back of the switch assembly and then run to your BCM. The code you got is most likely a software version management code (SVM code for short). Audi corporate has a listing of every control module and code sequence of each module listed in their database for your car. If a control module in your car ever gets replaced, they can pop a new one in and download it's code from the mothership. Each control module in your car is coded specifically to the functions it oversees, as well as any other features in the vehicle that may relate to its function. Sometimes when you add a new control module to your vehicle, not only does that control module need to be coded to the car, but some of the other modules in the vehicle need to be re-coded to reflect the new addition. Enter the SVM code... When this value is entered into Audi's computer while hooked up to your vehicle, it will compare the coding of all modules in your car and change everything needed to reflect your new retrofit. It is in essence now in Audi's eyes "factory" and will reflect as such if your vin is ever queried in Audi's system. It does what everyone else does with their VCDS cables but it just does it with Audi's blessing. As far as your efficiency feature, I have only seen it effectively used on cars with DSG transmissions. It has never been offered here in the states so I would not expect it to be available when you pick up your car. If you do in fact have the DSG S-Tronic transmission it can be enabled later with a VCDS cable.

Last edited by Mrclopec; 10-20-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Okay, I'm gonna chime in...

What you want done is actually rediculously simple. It's a matter of popping off one switch panel and popping on another. The two wires that came with your retrofit kit go into the existing connector on the back of the switch assembly and then run to your BCM...
Yes you are completely right, however after fiddling with the VCD, I could not figure out how to enable the actual functions to show up on the screen and its been about 2 months worth of "work" going through all the modules that way with no luck. All that I was able to do was also just permantely enabling, but I want the option of switching back/forth between all the features. This way is just easier/faster to me and is relatively "cheap" (grumble about $200 worth of labor).

When ordering I did somewhat think this was going to be limited in actual pieces from the images above, but didn't think it would be JUST zip ties and the two wires going to the control module in the footwell.

Overall I'm happy regardless as its continuing with my "plan" of tinkering, just the biggest hassle is the dealerships not having a clue of how to work on this chassis. The dealership that stated that it would void warranty just kinda floored me. If I buy an Audi sourced alternator, your saying if I have you install it, the electrical will be voided if any issues arise - BS.

Should be getting the call today and hopefully can pick up and working. Will report back with hopefully good news.

Quick Reply: Retrofitting: Audi Drive Select (Kinda retrofit)