Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS3 6W9 front plate delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RS3 6W9 front plate delete

Hi All, ordered my new RS3 and I have spec'd the 6W9 option not to have the plate on the front. Does anyone know what this actually does? Is there actually a different filler panel in the front grill w/o holes or do they just not include the $200 plate bracket? I know on my BMW's you order it with a plate and the dealer just doesn't install the plastic plate holder and leaves the bracket in the truck should you or the next owner want to install it. Since I live in california the land of ever restricting automotive laws I wan't to have the option down the line to install a plate but don't want holes in the front till then; but also don't want to pay for a $200 piece of plastic.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Option B - they just don't include the plate bracket/holder.
It's same panel in the front grille.
So you are left with 4 small indentations in the grille where the plate holder would screw onto. Just indentations, no actual hole since they don't install the holder.
You can't see it unless you put your face right up against the grill.

I'm in SoCal, and haven't had front plate on any car for about 10 years. I keep a tow hook mount in the garage in case i get a fix it ticket. It's 5 seconds on/off via the tow hook if i ever need it. Much better than having an ugly plate on the front of the car the other 99% of the time.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Morbo66
Option B - they just don't include the plate bracket/holder.
It's same panel in the front grille.
So you are left with 4 small indentations in the grille where the plate holder would screw onto. Just indentations, no actual hole since they don't install the holder.
You can't see it unless you put your face right up against the grill.

I'm in SoCal, and haven't had front plate on any car for about 10 years. I keep a tow hook mount in the garage in case i get a fix it ticket. It's 5 seconds on/off via the tow hook if i ever need it. Much better than having an ugly plate on the front of the car the other 99% of the time.
Thanks, exactly the info I was looking for and now to see if I trust my dealer enough not to put the plate mount on if I have them remove the 6W9 option.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered my RS3 with the same option. They simply do not install the bracket, give you a bracket, or drill any holes. This is all you end up with:

Old 01-31-2019, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I guessed it doesn't matter in the end? The dimples looked just as bad as if it was drilled. I liked how it works on the S3 much better - there are no visible holes after removing the front plate!
Old 01-31-2019, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by XMetal00
I guessed it doesn't matter in the end? The dimples looked just as bad as if it was drilled. I liked how it works on the S3 much better - there are no visible holes after removing the front plate!
I would still order car with 6W9 option (it costs $0), so the idiot at the dealer doesn't accidentally screw the bracket on.

Raidin's photo is with the flash on. In normal daytime conditions you can't notice unless you crouch down and stare at it.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would still order car with 6W9 option (it costs $0), so the idiot at the dealer doesn't accidentally screw the bracket on.

Raidin's photo is with the flash on. In normal daytime conditions you can't notice unless you crouch down and stare at it.
This is true. You have to be really looking or really close. I'll take a more general picture sometime.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Totally agree, the PDI guys don't normally think not to do things and you're at the mercy of the SA making sure they follow the car from the delivery truck to the PDI station to your delivery. As much as the 6W9 option is free it isn't really should you need the bracket for whatever reason it looks to be $200. I have seen some people get a signed contract saying they don't want it installed and if they do the dealer will need to replace the grill... while this might prevent it I also wouldn't want my new car take apart as thats just an opportunity for something else to get messed up.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:41 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by a4 4snow
Totally agree, the PDI guys don't normally think not to do things and you're at the mercy of the SA making sure they follow the car from the delivery truck to the PDI station to your delivery. As much as the 6W9 option is free it isn't really should you need the bracket for whatever reason it looks to be $200. I have seen some people get a signed contract saying they don't want it installed and if they do the dealer will need to replace the grill...
while this might prevent it I also wouldn't want my new car take apart as thats just an opportunity for something else to get messed up.
a4 4snow,

Totally 100% agree the less any dealership messes with your new RS3 or for that matter (Any) new car the better off you will be.

I base that on working for new car dealerships for like 20 years guys.

Terry
Old 02-01-2019, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Under Normal Conditions / Barely Noticeable

It does blend in very nicely.

Quick Reply: RS3 6W9 front plate delete