Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS3 Cold start problems

Old 11-09-2017, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default RS3 Cold start problems

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced cold start problems with their RS3. Temp was 40 degrees. Problem were a rough idle then engine would turn off. Felt like it was not getting enough gas. Took me 30 minutes of trying to get it going. Have not had the problem since. However the temp has been above 40 in the morning.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 11-10-2017, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about the cold start (not cold enough here), but that sounds like it could be a fuel pump issue, which could be exacerbated by the cold weather.
If it happens again, you should have it checked out.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the advice.. will do
Old 11-11-2017, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've started mine in as low as 28f with zero issues. Something else to consider would be how the car was driven before it was parked and the start attempt was made. I don't know if the RS3 is like our '09 A4 2.0t but that car does NOT like to be started, moved at short distances, and shut off (causes a "flood condition". common issue with the cars). Did you move the car a short distance (parked in the driveway then pull it into the garage and shut it off)? Just a thought...

I would also recommend pulling codes if you had a start failure. Something could have been stored that might give a clue as to what the issue was.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Things have been going well.. however.. the issue popped up again today.. took about 10 mins and my foot slightly on the accelerator once the engine turned over to get it started. Outside temp was about 45F. have an appt on Wednesday. Plan on letting them keep it over the holiday as I will be out of town.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KGAudi
Things have been going well.. however.. the issue popped up again today.. took about 10 mins and my foot slightly on the accelerator once the engine turned over to get it started. Outside temp was about 45F. have an appt on Wednesday. Plan on letting them keep it over the holiday as I will be out of town.
Curious what the problem could be. I've started mine in temperatures in the mid 20s and it started without hesitation and my car is stored outside.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm going to try to catch it on video. It has happened twice when morning temps were below 45F. This morning was in the 50s and everything was ok.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default update

Just a quick update. The dealer has had the car since last Wednesday. So far the codes are indicating a lean condition, however they can not find the cause as of yet. They did ask me if I had a tune on it. I replied "No, I'm not even sure they are out yet." So, the plan is to continue to trouble shoot with the shop foreman running point and then maybe calling Audi.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KGAudi
Just a quick update. The dealer has had the car since last Wednesday. So far the codes are indicating a lean condition, however they can not find the cause as of yet. They did ask me if I had a tune on it. I replied "No, I'm not even sure they are out yet." So, the plan is to continue to trouble shoot with the shop foreman running point and then maybe calling Audi.
Curious, what dealer did you take it?
Old 11-29-2017, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dazed1
Curious, what dealer did you take it?
Just sent you a PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS3 Cold start problems