AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-mkii-209/)
-   -   RS3 favorite little things... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-mkii-209/rs3-favorite-little-things-2940739/)

besttom 01-11-2018 11:13 AM

RS3 favorite little things...

1) Starting the car - every single time... sometimes I leave the door open when I start it to hear it even better
2) The feeling of the steering wheel in my hands - love the Alcantara (on the shift knob too)
3) Downshifts in sport mode...

TTA365 01-11-2018 06:58 PM

I'm feeling ya, I have a 2010 S5, I got my used a few years ago and it's old tech and all that, and I was really looking to upgrade here Christmas time and get what you got (or order one), but just cannot justify the cost at this time on my budget, so envious of folks who can afford. Little sleeper effect I imagine, imagine you might have taken a car or two by surprise if anyone sort of was in a race mentality, or just having fun on the freeway :)

crhartzler 01-11-2018 08:08 PM

Individual mode, constantly fine tuning for the road conditions. So nice. Also, S mode for acceleration and deceleration, D mode at cruising speed (repeat often).

russbert 01-12-2018 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by besttom (Post 25095042)
1) Starting the car - every single time... sometimes I leave the door open when I start it to hear it even better
2) The feeling of the steering wheel in my hands - love the Alcantara (on the shift knob too)
3) Downshifts in sport mode...

Check, check and CHECK on all three of those! ;)

I also love the car's "sleeper mode" as the local cops do not play the slightest attention to me (at least so far) which is just fine by me. When not listening to the exhaust note, I love turning up the tunes on the B&O system and try not to blind people with my HUGE SMILE. :)

Diztek 01-12-2018 10:00 AM

just wondering if its the same for the rs3 as the s3. when you downshift from 4th gear coming up to a corner and you quickly go to 2nd, does it take a second or 2 for 2nd gear to engage?

russbert 01-12-2018 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Diztek (Post 25095480)
just wondering if its the same for the rs3 as the s3. when you downshift from 4th gear coming up to a corner and you quickly go to 2nd, does it take a second or 2 for 2nd gear to engage?

If in Dull Mode (Drive), then yes or at least a definite maybe (I haven't paid strict attention) but I have NOT ever noticed in Sport Mode. But now that I think about it I will try and remember to concentrate on that scenario going forward since both 2nd and 4th would be technically "together" (since I don't know the proper term for being on the same side of a dual clutch assembly). R, 2, 4, 6th vs 1, 3, 5, and 7th.

Diztek 01-12-2018 10:58 AM

would be great if you could chime back in with your findings. just to be clear, this is in manual mode.

adg44 01-12-2018 02:43 PM

Just in case you aren't aware, the RS 3 will downshift to the lowest gear if you hold the downshift paddle for more than a second. It will also upshift to the highest gear available if you hold the upshift paddle for more than a second.

Tightm3 01-12-2018 05:39 PM

Nice Touches

1) I love the passenger mirror tilting down to provide a curb view
2) I love the throttle blips on down shift or up shift
3) I love how small the car is on the road
4) I love the front view big wide view
5) Panoramic Sunroof, my last car, a GTR didn’t have it and man I misssed it
6) Headlight and drivers lights throw a wonderful cascade of light on the road
7) Front,side rear views
8) Sound insulation
9) Sound system, B&O is great from the factory
10) Sound and look of the 5 cylinder 1, 2, 3, 4, 5!
11) The fact that there aren’t any tuning options out yet so I can’t do anything silly.....yet.

russbert 01-12-2018 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by adg44 (Post 25095590)
Just in case you aren't aware, the RS 3 will downshift to the lowest gear if you hold the downshift paddle for more than a second. It will also upshift to the highest gear available if you hold the upshift paddle for more than a second.

OK, so now you've got me curious. First I didn't know that but I'm also "shocked / surprised" since I find it hard to believe in this day and age of smart electronics that it would let you over-rev the engine on a major downshift (going up to the top is bad enough aka lugging the engine) but surely there is some sort of automatic protection especially on a car that limits your revs when the engine is cold.

Am I wrong or simply not understanding what you said correctly?