Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS3 Sedan Key FOB Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS3 Sedan Key FOB Upgrade?

never owned an audi. but i lol'd when i put my rs3 fob down on the table and it looks exactly the same as a friend's base golf.

not that i want to be snooty, but am wondering if we can get a hold of the newer keys and have the dealer program them? I guess we would need to re-cut the physical key as well? is this even possible?

Old 08-09-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be glad that it's not the even older type that has the key pop out (ala switchblade style). My '17 S3 has that old type though you don't actually need to pop the key out. Makes zero sense why they didn't at least make the key like the RS one in your hand (or the one I had for my '14 S4)! My S3 key is identical to the one for my 2006 A3!
Old 08-09-2017, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timmay
Just be glad that it's not the even older type that has the key pop out (ala switchblade style). My '17 S3 has that old type though you don't actually need to pop the key out. Makes zero sense why they didn't at least make the key like the RS one in your hand (or the one I had for my '14 S4)! My S3 key is identical to the one for my 2006 A3!
Are there some that are not? My RS3 key is switchblade.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mattvandyk
Are there some that are not? My RS3 key is switchblade.
Wow, really? I have not seen an RS3 keyfob but my 2014 S4 had one w/o the switchblade mechanism. It looks like the one in the photo above but had an S4 logo instead. You can imagine my surprise when getting a car that is 3 years newer and getting an antique-like keyfob.

Now I'm interested in knowing who has the really old switchblade style versus non-switchblade. I don't want to hijack this thread though, LOL.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

The RS 3 does have the switch blade key, but it does say RS on the back.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
The RS 3 does have the switch blade key, but it does say RS on the back.
Hmm I'm now confused because the RS keyfob in that photo looks identical to my old S4 keyfob. I can tell by the shape that it's identical to my S4. The older switchblade like I was referring is fatter and smaller looking to be able to house the switchblade mechanism.

Okay, maybe that's not an RS3 in that photo because it looks like an RS7? Perhaps that particular model has the non switchblade style.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm I'm now confused because the RS keyfob in that photo looks identical to my old S4 keyfob. I can tell by the shape that it's identical to my S4. The older switchblade like I was referring is fatter and smaller looking to be able to house the switchblade mechanism.

Okay, maybe that's not an RS3 in that photo because it looks like an RS7? Perhaps that particular model has the non switchblade style.
That photo in the OP's post is of a RS5 (check the spoiler). They have the same key fob's as the S4
Old 08-10-2017, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is one interesting thing to know. It won't make me not buy the car, but the fey fob is a big let down considering how "fashion" the rest of the car is...
Old 08-10-2017, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by dazed1
That photo in the OP's post is of a RS5 (check the spoiler). They have the same key fob's as the S4
It's an RS 7 in the first photo; another clue is that only the RS 7, S8, and R8 have the glossy black key fob (for the fob style shown).
Old 08-10-2017, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
It's an RS 7 in the first photo; another clue is that only the RS 7, S8, and R8 have the glossy black key fob (for the fob style shown).
That's what I thought. It looks like an RS7 in the photo. Also, what do you mean by glossy? My S4 had the exact same keyfob.

Quick Reply: RS3 Sedan Key FOB Upgrade?