Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS3 Wheel/tire rotation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS3 Wheel/tire rotation Questions

Yesterday, I swapped in a set of winter wheels/tires for the staggered summer wheels/tires on my 2018 RS3 (actually I was lazy and had my dealer do it for me). Because this was my first time doing this with my 2018, I specifically asked the service rep to have them mark the summer tires so I would know which corners they go back to in the Spring. When I got the car back, there were no marks. The fronts are different width from the backs, so that's no issue, but I don't know which are the rights and which are the lefts. When I asked the service rep, he told me: "the tech was out of chalk, but we measured the wear and there was no difference so it doesn't matter which side they go back onto." I was taught never to rotate high performance tires from one side to the other, so I am wondering if their explanation makes sense. Next, I checked the trunk for the locking wheel bolt key (again this was the first time for this car), and found nothing in the truck with the jack. When I asked about this, the service rep responded that Audis no longer come standard with locking bolts or a key. I don't see any locking bolts on the wheels. Again, I have never heard this form an Audi dealer, and my S5 certainly had them. Am I crazy?
Happy Thanksgiving, by the way!!!
Old 11-24-2018, 04:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I can’t comment on the lack of locking lug bolts, but my 2018 S3 has them. Then again, maybe I paid extra for them.

re the tires even when not significantly worn, or worn evenly, I’m a fan of keeping them rotating in the same direction. Too much going on INSIDE the tire that helps the entire casing to settle into a balanced, competent part of the overall ride and suspension system.