Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Russ' 2018 RS3 Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 04:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Russ - I am still very much enjoying your comments and updates. The two videos are likewise appreciated and I can hear how much fun you and your friend were having. I think one of the best things about having a "sleeper" sports car like the RS3 is that you can put a couple of people inside and then really surprise them with what the car can do. Smiles for miles, right?

I can't comment on the Ara Blue from Audi but my Mazda MX-5 is Icy Blue (which is several shades lighter) and also shows dust very prominently. I think about the only colors that would hide that are very light colors like white or silver. I live in a rural area similar to what is in your video and have a gravel driveway so when it gets dry outside dust accumulation is just part of it. I try to stay positive and just think of it as a good reason to be proactive with the cleaning and detailing of the car!
Old 12-20-2017, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brothers savage
Since you seem to care about your paint's finish by hand washing it, throw out your California Duster! That thing will scratch and mare your paint too! Get yourself a good quick detailer (I use Kenotek Showroom Shine but there are others like Sonax or Nanolex) and some quality microfiber towels from the Rag Company. Kenotek has anti-static properties to keep dust from adhering to the paint!
Thanks for the tip about Kenotek. I've used Meguiar's and Griot's quick detailers before and like them OK. Why do you prefer Kenotek? It does seem to have pretty good reviews so anxious to hear any additional comments you might have about it. I will definitely add it to my wish list of car products.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by youngbloodS3
...dirt....what dirt.....good thing I've got Xpel and Opticoat on it..
ROTFLOL!! Love your photo's caption. Man, I had truly forgotten what my cars used to look like when I lived in Cincinnati, OH and Green Bay, WI (especially when you have months of snow!). That would be considered a Natural Disaster scenario down here in the South until it all melted! Yes, the sun is considered the primary snow removal device of choice down here.

You will definitely have to provide me with another picture in the Spring when you get it cleaned up. Unless you plan on going outside this week and giving it a hand wash. LOL Thanks for the photo; it made my day.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Matthew Gaither
Russ - I am still very much enjoying your comments and updates. The two videos are likewise appreciated and I can hear how much fun you and your friend were having. I think one of the best things about having a "sleeper" sports car like the RS3 is that you can put a couple of people inside and then really surprise them with what the car can do. Smiles for miles, right?
ABSOLUTELY! He was completely giddy with delight on a four door performing this way.

Originally Posted by Matthew Gaither
I can't comment on the Ara Blue from Audi but my Mazda MX-5 is Icy Blue (which is several shades lighter) and also shows dust very prominently. I think about the only colors that would hide that are very light colors like white or silver. I live in a rural area similar to what is in your video and have a gravel driveway so when it gets dry outside dust accumulation is just part of it. I try to stay positive and just think of it as a good reason to be proactive with the cleaning and detailing of the car!
My friend has a gravel driveway (fortunately I don't) and I basically just idled down it because it is exceptionally long as well. Yes, I love to clean and detail as well (always have) but I'm enjoying it more now that a) I'm retired, and b) I live in a much more "friendly detailing environment" (can usually hand wash about 10 months out of the year). Again, I appreciate your comments.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default True Speed

Originally Posted by youngbloodS3
VMR 710's 18/8.5/235's with H&R Sport Springs...
I have the same VMR wheels in the same size but with 225/45-18 Michelin X-ice winter tires, Indicated speed agrees exactly with traffic radar cameras and GPS. According to websites I should expect a 2% speed error( minus). Maybe the wider rim wdth (8.5 vs 7.5"stock) causes the tire to flatten a bit. I use 33/36 psi rear/front on the winter tires. OEM summer tires are 235/35-19.I have not checked speed accuracy using summer tires.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by morris39
I have the same VMR wheels in the same size but with 225/45-18 Michelin X-ice winter tires, Indicated speed agrees exactly with traffic radar cameras and GPS. According to websites I should expect a 2% speed error( minus). Maybe the wider rim wdth (8.5 vs 7.5"stock) causes the tire to flatten a bit. I use 33/36 psi rear/front on the winter tires. OEM summer tires are 235/35-19.I have not checked speed accuracy using summer tires.
I put nothing but studs on my tires up here in the winter...I use Nokian Hakka 9 studs...I use Continental DWS06 245/35/19's for my summers..up here it could snow anytime...

Last edited by youngbloodS3; 12-20-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by russbert
ROTFLOL!! Love your photo's caption. Man, I had truly forgotten what my cars used to look like when I lived in Cincinnati, OH and Green Bay, WI (especially when you have months of snow!). That would be considered a Natural Disaster scenario down here in the South until it all melted! Yes, the sun is considered the primary snow removal device of choice down here.

You will definitely have to provide me with another picture in the Spring when you get it cleaned up. Unless you plan on going outside this week and giving it a hand wash. LOL Thanks for the photo; it made my day.

...here you go....same car fresh with Xpel and Opticoat just installed....this before I put the H&R drop on...lol
Old 12-20-2017, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey, where are all of the brown accents?? Seriously, it looks really awesome brother! It rained here all day so I'm hoping I get to finish up detailing the tires tomorrow and take it out for an hour drive or so. I'll try to remember to take a photo before I drive it. Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 3 Pluses and 2 Minor Misses IMO

OK so I took the car out today in the rain (yes, even though I just washed it) since it was quite warm out and I felt the "need for speed"!! And I have five additional observations plus one question:

Things I liked:
  1. Wipers are good, especially the spray function The intermittent functions works quietly, and is easy to use. When you need to clean the windshield, it REALLY cleans it well as others have mentioned.
  2. Felt very confident with Quattro, especially in curves in the rain. I felt confident enough to push the RS3 coming off a mountain, in some pretty decent curves, at speed+. Not a huge surprise but nice to verify.
  3. And one of the features I like best about the RS3 is if you can "Think it, you can do it"! As is so often necessary these days, when you having rolling roadblocks, and unaware (semi-conscious / distracted) drivers, it is really nice to be able to see what you need to do in order to quickly and safely quickly maneuver through traffic. You just have to love a car that can do that on a consistent basis and the RS3 mostly certainly does that, time after time.

Didn't like two things:
1) When driving under "darker conditions during the day and lights are needed" you can NOT easily see if the lights are indeed turned on Left hand and cruise control block your view of it (at least an easy view), and
2) It is extremely difficult to make out the map on the pop up screen especially with polarized sunglasses on (I like to wear them when its extremely misty as it makes it easier to see through, at least for me). However this reminds me of another nice item. When wearing polarized sunglasses, it is very easy to use the backup camera WITHOUT removing the sunglasses. Can't always do this on my truck.

One Weird Question:
  • Wn showing mileage (see picture below) what is the second number on the right (936.2)? I know the one on the left is total mileage but when I hit reset on long-term or short-term memory that number NEVER RESETS? What is it and how do I reset it? And yes, I'm hoping someone can quickly help me out versus searching the stupid manual.

The Total Mileage is 1429 (left side) but what is 936.2?
Old 12-21-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by russbert
OK so I took the car out today in the rain (yes, even though I just washed it) since it was quite warm out and I felt the "need for speed"!! And I have five additional observations plus one question:

Things I liked:
  1. Wipers are good, especially the spray function The intermittent functions works quietly, and is easy to use. When you need to clean the windshield, it REALLY cleans it well as others have mentioned.
  2. Felt very confident with Quattro, especially in curves in the rain. I felt confident enough to push the RS3 coming off a mountain, in some pretty decent curves, at speed+. Not a huge surprise but nice to verify.
  3. And one of the features I like best about the RS3 is if you can "Think it, you can do it"! As is so often necessary these days, when you having rolling roadblocks, and unaware (semi-conscious / distracted) drivers, it is really nice to be able to see what you need to do in order to quickly and safely quickly maneuver through traffic. You just have to love a car that can do that on a consistent basis and the RS3 mostly certainly does that, time after time.

Didn't like two things:
1) When driving under "darker conditions during the day and lights are needed" you can NOT easily see if the lights are indeed turned on Left hand and cruise control block your view of it (at least an easy view), and
2) It is extremely difficult to make out the map on the pop up screen especially with polarized sunglasses on (I like to wear them when its extremely misty as it makes it easier to see through, at least for me). However this reminds me of another nice item. When wearing polarized sunglasses, it is very easy to use the backup camera WITHOUT removing the sunglasses. Can't always do this on my truck.

One Weird Question:
  • Wn showing mileage (see picture below) what is the second number on the right (936.2)? I know the one on the left is total mileage but when I hit reset on long-term or short-term memory that number NEVER RESETS? What is it and how do I reset it? And yes, I'm hoping someone can quickly help me out versus searching the stupid manual.

The Total Mileage is 1429 (left side) but what is 936.2?
there's a "0.0" button on top of the steering column. Push that to reset your "per tank" miles.

Quick Reply: Russ' 2018 RS3 Driving Impressions