Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 Drive Select issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

globet, did they say when a s/w update would be provided for this? I'm curious why it doesn't show in the instrument cluster as you noted. For what it's worth, the delay everyone here is reporting after pressing the * button is not isolated to that button with respect to Drive Select. I tested the actual Drive Select button on the dash after starting the car and it too has a delay. It seems the systems need to fully boot up before allowing access.

Having said that, the delay doesn't bother me as much as the fact the Drive Select mode not appearing in the cluster gauge. I don't really intend to use Drive Select immediately upon startup of my car as it will likely stay at the setting it's at most of the time, or the last mode it was when I shut off the car. It is indeed odd Audi didn't see it fit to show the mode in the cluster gauge like in my previous S4 and presumably most other models.

Last edited by Timmay; 05-23-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They said "in the coming year". I'll push them for details when it goes back in again (visit 6, I think, all for same issue). It's really annoying given the A3 S-Line tfsi quattro I had before was perfect in this respect. Drive select button worked perfectly, displayed in MMI and in instrument cluster display. I prefer to turn the MMI off if I don't need it because that's the only way to be sure the audio doesn't start blasting out when I start the car (another useful software feature would be a simple audio "on/off" switch - or is that too old school :-)
Old 05-23-2017, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Fixeroh - I know a quicker man than Mario. Car design speed 1,050mph, 0-1,000mph in 55 seconds, and he says he's always in control. Unfortunately it's not an Audi...
Old 05-23-2017, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by globet
They said "in the coming year". I'll push them for details when it goes back in again (visit 6, I think, all for same issue). It's really annoying given the A3 S-Line tfsi quattro I had before was perfect in this respect. Drive select button worked perfectly, displayed in MMI and in instrument cluster display. I prefer to turn the MMI off if I don't need it because that's the only way to be sure the audio doesn't start blasting out when I start the car (another useful software feature would be a simple audio "on/off" switch - or is that too old school :-)
Nah, having an On/Off button is never too old school :-)
I never noticed that when I start up my car but I'll check it out. I thought for sure there was a way to simply turn off the radio so that it wouldn't blast on when starting the car. Maybe it's because I do listen to music most of the time it doesn't phase me.

Still no clue as to why our S3s are having this problem with Drive Select, particularly since your A3 didn't have the same issue. Very strange.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmay
Nah, having an On/Off button is never too old school :-)
I never noticed that when I start up my car but I'll check it out. I thought for sure there was a way to simply turn off the radio so that it wouldn't blast on when starting the car. Maybe it's because I do listen to music most of the time it doesn't phase me.

Still no clue as to why our S3s are having this problem with Drive Select, particularly since your A3 didn't have the same issue. Very strange.
I haven't really read the other posts, but so the music isn't playing when I start my car I always tap the volume **** next to the shifter to mute my music?
Old 05-23-2017, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by globet
Fixeroh - I know a quicker man than Mario. Car design speed 1,050mph, 0-1,000mph in 55 seconds, and he says he's always in control. Unfortunately it's not an Audi...
globet; Never considered Mario to be the fastest or quickest by any means. Thought his quote was pretty cool however! And it is a superb all around driver. Guy can drive the wheels off anything. 1005 mph? We're talking Bonneville stuff there I think. Manned missiles!

What I like about Audi at speed is actually having control. Audi designs control into the car and you almost have to be a moron to get one bent out shape! Mario wouldn't like that very much. LOL
Old 05-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinDuMa
I haven't really read the other posts, but so the music isn't playing when I start my car I always tap the volume **** next to the shifter to mute my music?
I do that also, but sometimes it'll start playing when I use MMI to select the the satnav or other MI feature.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
globet; Never considered Mario to be the fastest or quickest by any means. Thought his quote was pretty cool however! And it is a superb all around driver. Guy can drive the wheels off anything. 1005 mph? We're talking Bonneville stuff there I think. Manned missiles!

What I like about Audi at speed is actually having control. Audi designs control into the car and you almost have to be a moron to get one bent out shape! Mario wouldn't like that very much. LOL
Bloodhound, in South Africa...and yes, and on Mario, it's a cool quote form a cool driver
Old 05-26-2017, 03:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Amazing! I copied the various replies from those having the steering button issue over to my Audi dealership on Monday. Today they called me to set up a date to install the software update from Audi Germany. Not sure if it also sorts out the display in the instrument cluster also, but fingers crossed. If so, great result for the forum.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice! Let us know the results. Btw, I realized that I misspoke about not being able to see what mode the car is in in my cluster gauge. I can in fact see it but for some reason forgot. Whether it be Dynamic, Comfort or whatever, it's definitely displayed, at least for my case with Technology Package (MMI, VC).

Quick Reply: S3 Drive Select issues