Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 engine in other Audis?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S3 engine in other Audis?

Hey guys -- been a long time since I posted here. Had two allroads in early 2000's -- been driving an STi lately. Love it - just may be outgrowing it. Question about the S3 engine: I know its roughly the same engine as the new Golf R, and that it is a special engine capable of considerably more power. Question is are there other audis that use the same 2.0T?(A4, A6, etc) or is the 2.0T TSFI I see described the older lower -power 2.0T in the A4/A6? Thanks == sorry if this is a newb question. Couldnt find the info clearly anywhere.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

You will find this engine in the 2016 TT.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is something I think about a lot too, yeah a TT is a no-brainer, but it would kick a$$ in an A4 in the form with a little less horsepower in the form of an 'Sportline' for those that want a sleeper car. 40 more HPs might have got me into an A4 Sportline.

Q3 S, same idea, maybe even the AllRoad 'S'.

That growl is exactly what those cars in the Sportline version need.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Aha -- excellent info. Today I'm loving my crazy immature subbie. but that EA888 engine intrigues me. My brother has a new Golf R with a neuspeed something or other and it is faaaaast. Seems its pretty simple to extract some major HP from it. Agree that it would be rather nice in a sporty A4 -- maybe too good! competition for the S4 --> which come to think about it is probably due for a bump up in power anyway
Old 09-09-2015, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

At the risk of being thrown off the boards after a 7 year hiatus -- here's a pic of my current ride
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by myroad
Hey guys -- been a long time since I posted here. Had two allroads in early 2000's -- been driving an STi lately. Love it - just may be outgrowing it. Question about the S3 engine: I know its roughly the same engine as the new Golf R, and that it is a special engine capable of considerably more power. Question is are there other audis that use the same 2.0T?(A4, A6, etc) or is the 2.0T TSFI I see described the older lower -power 2.0T in the A4/A6? Thanks == sorry if this is a newb question. Couldnt find the info clearly anywhere.
It shares many of the same parts as the MQB A3 2.0t, mark 7 VW GTI, and 3rd gen TT and likely the B9 A4. It is more or less the exact same engine found in the new golf r and new TTS. The biggest difference being the turbo (although reinforced Pistons and a few other internal differences will be there)

Older generation cars used a different engine, but if your concern is about finding parts long-term, I wouldn't worry too much about it. They haven't revealed the b9 s4 yet, but According to articles I've read from sites like car and driver, it will almost definitely initially offer the same engine found in the current s4, which is a highly tuneable, supercharged v6, before eventually moving to a newer engine design (likely a new generation v6)

Last edited by Antarius; 09-09-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

At the risk of being thrown off the boards after a 7 year hiatus -- here's a pic of my current ride
My girlfriend loves subaru design language... I personally think they look like they got beat up in a fight and the swelling hasn't gone down, but you have a pretty classy (if not still a bit flashy) subbie. Minus the wing and I'd drive that thing any day. Probably not worthy of a ban, its not blue on gold wheels.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sevenpsych
My girlfriend loves subaru design language... I personally think they look like they got beat up in a fight and the swelling hasn't gone down, but you have a pretty classy (if not still a bit flashy) subbie. Minus the wing and I'd drive that thing any day. Probably not worthy of a ban, its not blue on gold wheels.
Ha! -- subbies are definitely not too pretty thats for sure. More muddy brawlers than anything else. Certainly not in the same class as pretty much any audi. FYI for the first time in US you can get an STi without the wing from the factory in MY 2016. I just think if youre going STi you gotta own the wing. Anyway -- thanks for the info. I do admire the S3 and its very stout engine.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll be back.

If you loved your subby as much as your audis, you wouldn't be trolling.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At first I didn't like the new body style, but boy have I warmed up to them big time over the last 6 months or so. Nice Dude!! I always thought that the generation before your car was a little too large. Yours is slim and trim.

Quick Reply: S3 engine in other Audis?