Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 or RS3 as Daily Driver

Old 07-24-2017, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by akraev
If you're ordering, keep in mind that the RS3 comes in Nardo Grey as well. Personally, I'd have that with black optics pack over the Daytona.

Also, it wont hurt to call up some dealers and see if they have a few "orphan" RS3's lying around, hopefully in your ideal config.

I've seen a couple of dealers here in LA with a handful in stock
I think I'll be far more flexible on color than wait time. If getting my ideal color means I'd wait an additional 6 months, there's no way I would be that patient.

I'm intrigued by the Nardo grey as well-- but in some pictures I've seen it almost looks bluish-silvery. The '17 S3 I test drove was "Nano" grey with the black optics package, but I don't know how that compares with the Nardo. I understand it's still a flat finish, but how does it do in different lighting conditions?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've seen a few RS3's in Europe in various times of day. To my eyes the color is more consistent than what you see in photos online. IRL the color doesn't come out blueish at all.

Find your nearest dealer, Im sure they have a Nardo R8 hanging out somewhere for you to see.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by eyedoc88
I'm a little intrigued that the '18 model might get the HP boost that the Europeans got.
dont count on it. Latest word is '18 S3 will have same power and tranny as '17s in North America.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks like Audi Canada has the '18 on their site for configuration. They have it as a seven speed with 292 HP. That's a little frustrating, but might actually make my decision easier. I'll be heading to my dealer later this week to ask a few questions (and maybe to put in my order!!)
Old 07-24-2017, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an S3, test drove the RS3 today, with an RS3 arriving this weekend. If you don't care about the money as much, or are ego driven like myself, the RS3 is the must have. The S3 is a great car, and does everything the RS3 does - turn, start, stop, go, just not quite as fast or as loud.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Civuck
dont count on it. Latest word is '18 S3 will have same power and tranny as '17s in North America.
The consensus I've been able to find is that the power will be unchanged on North American 18's, but the tranny will be 7-speed.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:23 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never seen or driven an RS3 but I think the S3 is a terrific car. Coming from the car you currently drive I think you would be quite happy with either car. The S3 will be easier to find and will cost less.

I ordered a 2017 Prestige S3 in March, which was changed to model year 2018 as they stopped taking orders for 2017s. According to all the information I have been provided, the 2018 HP and transmission are identical to 2107 (for USA).

My car is sitting in the Port of Houston awaiting EPA and CARB emission approvals before it can be delivered to me - "sometime in August". (I'm getting tired of waiting.) I was informed by the Audi NW Region Sales Manager that this approval is required each model year even when there are no changes to emission related items - like engine/transmission.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i took a lease on a loaded s3 and have no regrets
it will be months if not a year for me to get close to an rs3; i'll leave that for renewal time. even by then you may find a cert. pre-owned one.

when i hear daily driver, i just cant help but feel the rs3 is overkill albeit fine in the role. the s3 is plenty fun on its own. its a 4.7s car, you shouldnt fear much at a red light in the first place.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pagy
...the s3 is plenty fun on its own. its a 4.7s car, you shouldnt fear much at a red light in the first place.
Couldn't agree more. In real-world, daily driving conditions, you'll rarely pull up to something that you can't easily smoke off the light.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2015 S3 owner here. ALMOST RS3 owner. Backed out when I realized the financial hit I would take trading or selling my S3. Somewhat jealous of the new RS3 owner here but quite content keeping my S3. It's bumped up to 400 HP with APR Stage II gear and moves along quick rapidly when required. S3 is an awesome daily driver. It does everything so very well. Sometimes wish it was a different color because black is pain to clean but it's damn sharp when it is very clean. Good luck in your decision but you will not go wrong with either the S3 or RS3. It's a spirited sport sedan that does everything well. Zero problems with mine to date.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S3 or RS3 as Daily Driver