Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 or RS3 as Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S3 or RS3 as Daily Driver

Hey all, new member here. For the past few years I've been driving a 2012 Mazda 3, and while there's nothing really wrong with the car, I can't say my daily commutes to school, residency, and a job have been particularly exciting.

I had the chance to drive a 2017 Audi S3 last fall and was very close to pulling the trigger. Having a fast car with AWD made it an especially attractive choice for winters up here in Minnesota. After getting engaged in January and closing on a house shortly thereafter, my car plans got put on hold for a bit.

I'll be married in September, so after that point I'll realistically be in a better position to upgrade my wheels, but with the timing of everything I've been but in a bit of a pickle.

For as much fun as the '17 S3 was when I drove it, I'm a little intrigued that the '18 model might get the HP boost that the Europeans got. And then there's the RS3 problem...

Realistically, I don't need an RS3- I could see myself taking it to a track occasionally, but it'll primarily be a commuter to the hospital where I work. However...I prefer the looks, exhaust note, and performance stats on the RS3. It'd still work well down the road for hauling future kids around, and I wouldn't realistically every need a sports car. One thing I'm curious about is what you think of the drivability comparison of the two cars. For instance, how does the turbo lag compare? I thought the S3 was fun, but there was definitely some lag in the lower rev ranges.

My fiancé is very supportive of me getting whatever I want, within reason- so I feel like I have a bit of a blank check. Any guidance/tips you all can offer would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have the means, just get the rs3. no ragrets!!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome! I'm new here myself and will be happy to share my thoughts.

I have a 2017 S3 that I picked up back in April. I am extremely happy with the car and would not have anything else for this class/price range.- like you said, getting a 300hp, AWD German sport sedan is very appealing. As far as performance goes, I'm never left feeling frustrated with turbo lag or anything of that nature. The power definitely lives in the 2500-3500 range, but that doesn't exclude the rest of the powerband from some beefiness.

Plus, for the real world, you're never really going to be driving in a way that demands 110% of the car and makes turbo lag noticeable.

My advice would be, if you CAN wait for the 2018 S3 to come out, wait for it. I know it's a small HP boost, but it also gets a 7th gear and some ECU tuneups that make the exhaust sound a tad beefier.

That being said, if you're in the market now and cant wait, I would at least try for the RS3. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you can expect to pick one up for around 55-60k after some dealer caressing. Should you lease it, I'd say you're looking at around $600-650/mo with a chunky down payment. The performance comparison will surely be...not for comparison. Ride comfort should be comparable for both cars (magnetic ride equipped).

The reason I'd say to go for the RS is simple. One day, you'll be in your S3 and pull up at a light next to an RS3 and wont be able to feel at least a small sense of regret when it pulls away with a breathtaking 5-cylinder symphony chiming out the back. Plus, if you're going to buy, that RS badge will hold its resale value longer.

If FOMO is not an issue for you and you just want a fast, grippy daily commuter right now - S3 is for you. Get the 2017 with technology package (a must) and any other toys. You can lease one for as little as $400-500/mo depending on your down. 100% get the resonator delete on day 1 (~400 bucks part and install).

Hope this helps!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed on Resonator delete option. Worth it!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by akraev

The reason I'd say to go for the RS is simple. One day, you'll be in your S3 and pull up at a light next to an RS3 and wont be able to feel at least a small sense of regret when it pulls away with a breathtaking 5-cylinder symphony chiming out the back. Plus, if you're going to buy, that RS badge will hold its resale value longer.
I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This! A while back I was looking at a used S6 or S7 here in North America and as strange as it sounds a big factor in choosing was that there was no RS6 in Canada. I could live with the S6 knowing I would never see an RS6 and have that feeling that I was missing out. If I'd gotten an S7 I would have to live in fear at every light lol. Now I totally get how that can come off as snobby or nonsensical but I guess (for me) if I can't have the best version I'd rather not have any of them at all. My 2 cents YMMV.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome! I'm new here myself and will
That being said, if you're in the market now and cant wait, I would at least try for the RS3. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you can expect to pick one up for around 55-60k after some dealer caressing. Should you lease it, I'd say you're looking at around $600-650/mo with a chunky down payment.
EDIT: After sifting through the RS3 forums here, it looks like your chances of taking one home anytime soon might be slim. If you find one that hasn't swooped up, you might find that the dealer has slapped on a $10k markup.

Orders at this point are delivering into 2019.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Both are great cars, and I think you'll be happy with either. If you go S3, wait for the 2018. You'll be close enough at the point of your marriage you might as well wait it out. Or wait until they come out and take a 2017 off a dealer lot for huge discounts.

if the RS3 hadn't come out, I'd be 100% content with my S3. But I'm one who always wants the best. The RS3 isn't a great financial decision, but it's an amazing car. I pick mine up this week.

As was mentioned before, you're odds of getting into an RS3 at the moment isn't great, though several have jumped ship due to delays with CARB on the 2017s. As soon as they are released (watch here for details), you may be able to snag one. 18s are all but spoken for, but there's always the chance of someone backing out here and there. Hard to monitor that though so you just have to get lucky with your dealer(s). Alert them that you are interested if that's the way you decide to go and hope that they call you should one become available.

As I said, at the end of the day, you'll love either car. Minimal difference in any lag, the S3 feels plenty powerful.

Good luck, and welcome!
Old 07-24-2017, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a case of FOMO.

Realistically, if I were to spend $50-60k on a car, I'd almost positively want to configure it myself. Daytona grey with the black optics package looks slick on both cars. I recall the wait times on S3s not being ridiculous last year, but it sounds like the RS3s might be a different story.

I was ideally hoping for a Spring '18 delivery- late enough to avoid the need for snow tires at first. If the '18s are spoken for, that might make an '18 S3 a great alternative, unless they plan on a Summer release again for the '19 model.

It's a little difficult to admit I have a case of FOMO since I'm upgrading from such a practical car.. I really did love that S3 until I saw the RS3s were coming out for a little more money. Having driven my dad's Golf R, it's also difficult to qualify the S3 as being the bargain performance option. The RS seems like a ridiculous car--I wish I could say I'll definitely be patient enough to wait for one! I agree that the '18 S3 seems like it'd be worth the wait over the '17s.

It sounds like I need to get to my dealer, then calmly explain to my better half why I just ordered a car. Maybe some wine and flowers will help soften that blow...
Old 07-24-2017, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you're ordering, keep in mind that the RS3 comes in Nardo Grey as well. Personally, I'd have that with black optics pack over the Daytona.

Also, it wont hurt to call up some dealers and see if they have a few "orphan" RS3's lying around, hopefully in your ideal config.

I've seen a couple of dealers here in LA with a handful in stock

Quick Reply: S3 or RS3 as Daily Driver