Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 Suspension/ Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S3 Suspension/ Wheel Question

Just ordered an S3 , initially went with the 19 " performance package with magnetic ride.

Being new to Audi's I do not fully understand the magnetic ride suspension.

I have been trying to search and learn and it seems like the ride quality may be better with the magnetic ride suspension.

We live in Metro Detroit and I have not come across worse roads in my travels.

I also looked at the tires and the 35 series tire on the 19" rim seems to give up .3 " sidewall over the 40 series on the 18's.

Also wondering what the standard 18" 5 parallel spoke design bi-color wheel looks like.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Old 06-21-2014, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

you can order an S3 now?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Order guide came out Thursday.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

From what I can gather searching the net. The magnetic suspension is driver activated and uses magnets to react with fluid in the dampers stiffening the suspension.

I wonder if it still offers the same settings, comfort, dynamic etc.

I also own a Mustang with 285/35/19 Goodyear F1's in the rear 255/40/19 front. I don't know if they are a softer compound but IMHO they have a good ride quality, a little loud but its a loud car (good loud) anyway.

Just wondering if we can get away with 19's and the magnetic suspension on the Audi ?
Old 06-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We test drove an A3 with the 18" wheels/tires but not the sport suspension and I thought the ride quality/ handling was great.

If the S3 has close to that compliance I would be very happy.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Alloy07
From what I can gather searching the net. The magnetic suspension is driver activated and uses magnets to react with fluid in the dampers stiffening the suspension.

I wonder if it still offers the same settings, comfort, dynamic etc.
The magnetorheological system was first developed by GM and used by Cadillac. It is now seen in various car lines, including Ferrari and the new Corvette. I think the jury's still out on how it will be in the S3, but it's been very positively reviewed in other cars.

Just my 2 cents.

John
Old 06-29-2014, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi has been installing magnetic ride since 2009. It uses magnetic particles in the hydraulic fluid in the shock absorbers. As I understand it when activated it causes a stiffer suspension.

AoA initially made it available as an option on the A3 for the 2009 model year. They discontinued it for 2010 due to low sales of the option.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

THANKS everyone. I have spent a lot of time trying to research magnetic ride. I can't find any negative reviews but I have found a lot of positive reviews.

From what I have read the ride quality in " comfort " is good even with 19's.

Magnetic ride gets really good reviews on the Vette forums.

I am a little concerned about 19" tires here in Metro Detroit but I figure its easier to change wheels/tires then it would be to change the suspension.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you are concerned about ride compliance quality, then the 18" wheels would be beter with a slightly higher profile tire. If you are only about perfromance and don't mind being in a car that radiates the quality of the pavement directly to the ride quality, then go for the 19" wheels.

I can only speak for myself when I say that i did not buy this car to compete on track or competition of any kind, that the ride quality is most important. I dont want a slopppy car that rolls on corners and floats over bumps. I already own a "pure" sports car" and don't need a reproduction of that in my four door sedan that I bought to combine handling characteristics and comfortable ride in even quantities. If this is your sports car, then go for the S3. But for those of us who already have this quality in another car, the need for a highly stiff wheel and tire combination just takes away from what we desired from this car.......Good handling and comfort if you want it, but a choice to change to dynamic mode and get a small, tight handling and light sports sedan.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jdouglas2000
If you are concerned about ride compliance quality, then the 18" wheels would be beter with a slightly higher profile tire. If you are only about perfromance and don't mind being in a car that radiates the quality of the pavement directly to the ride quality, then go for the 19" wheels.

I can only speak for myself when I say that i did not buy this car to compete on track or competition of any kind, that the ride quality is most important. I dont want a slopppy car that rolls on corners and floats over bumps. I already own a "pure" sports car" and don't need a reproduction of that in my four door sedan that I bought to combine handling characteristics and comfortable ride in even quantities. If this is your sports car, then go for the S3. But for those of us who already have this quality in another car, the need for a highly stiff wheel and tire combination just takes away from what we desired from this car.......Good handling and comfort if you want it, but a choice to change to dynamic mode and get a small, tight handling and light sports sedan.
We test drove an A3. I thought the handling was fine, the ride was a nice balance between handling and ride quality.

Just as we were ordering an A3 with the sport package the S3 became available and we switched the order.

My other cars are a 2012 Focus SE with the Sport Package and a manual.

That car has great steering, good handling and a compliant ride.

We also own a 2007 Mustang GT, lowered etc, etc.

I would like something with the handling ride quality of the Focus and response and power close to the Mustang.

I ordered the S3 with 18" tires but after reading about Magnetic Suspension thought that I may be able to attain better road compliance even with the
19's.

I looked at Tire Calculators and there is a .3 " difference in side wall between the 18's and 19's.

I don't know enough about tires to understand if that makes much of a difference.

We are not planning on using the Audi for any kind of track event.

I don't know how the S3 with 18's would compare to the A3 we test drove, the A3 did have 18" tires.

The roads here are bad.

THANKS Much for your thoughts that's the kind of info I am looking for.