Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Screen does not go away when button is pressed new 2018 a3

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

every car produced after April 18, across brands, has this same thing as Symawd mendtioned above. Gov't at work smh
Old 07-23-2018, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You'll also notice the icon on the button now shows the screen with a power symbol. Previously, it showed the screen with an arrow, meaning retraction. I saw this in an s3 test drive this weekend. My dealer said it was a running change on April and later built cars, and also said it would be applied retroactively to previous cars.

The good news is: if it can be patched via software to make that switch power the screen instead of retracting it, then it can also be un-patched Just need someone to figure out how!
Old 07-24-2018, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

This got me curious and tried it today. The button on my '18 does brings the screen up and down. So there are some inconsistencies here.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XMetal00
This got me curious and tried it today. The button on my '18 does brings the screen up and down. So there are some inconsistencies here.
Did you get your before April this year? I got mine last week and it doesn't go up and down from the button. Only when turning on and off
Old 07-24-2018, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s0ggyrice
Did you get your before April this year? I got mine last week and it doesn't go up and down from the button. Only when turning on and off
Yes, I got mine before April...so I guessed it is consistent with the info reported here
Old 07-24-2018, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So why even have it retract at all if new models don't let you retract during driving? Seems like a legacy feature now gimped by regulation.

Personally I love the option to put the screen away while driving.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Personally, I would like to have the button to let you lock the screen in the up position so the screen doesn't go up and down everytime - just like those old pop up headlights where you can have them stay up even when they're switched off.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XMetal00
Tried mine as well due to curiosity and it does retract while driving BUT my RS3 was built at the end of Sept 2017 and I picked it up in early November.

So I guess when I finally do sell my car (sometime out in the future) I can list that mine as having an ADDITIONAL feature not on other new RS3's.

Everyone, thanks for clarifying about the April "regulation" or I would have been majorly confused..
Old 07-25-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Kretrop
You'll also notice the icon on the button now shows the screen with a power symbol. Previously, it showed the screen with an arrow, meaning retraction. I saw this in an s3 test drive this weekend. My dealer said it was a running change on April and later built cars, and also said it would be applied retroactively to previous cars.

The good news is: if it can be patched via software to make that switch power the screen instead of retracting it, then it can also be un-patched Just need someone to figure out how!
The icon changed last year, the functionality changed for cars made after late April 2018
Old 07-25-2018, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

russbert: You'll have to take your car in for service sometime. They'll catch at that time when they do map or system updates!! Button did not retract the screen in my new RS3 while driving either. Thought there might be a setting for that but haven't had time to look. Now I know the real story. Thanks all for sharing this info.

Quick Reply: Screen does not go away when button is pressed new 2018 a3