Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

SCREENS NO LONGER RETRACT

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCREENS NO LONGER RETRACT

I test drove two RS3s and really liked the fact that the screen was retractable. In fact, I specifically chose my last car (e92 M3) with no nav to get a clean dash.

I picked up my new RS3 yesterday, and drove it up to the detailer. Everything seems good. I push the retract button when I arrived at the detailer. The display turned off, but didn't go into the dash. I assumed I needed to modify some kind of setting somewhere deep in the system in order to get it to not just turn off, but go into the dash. I left it with them to start PPF, ceramic, etc.

I called the dealership where i bought it yesterday evening, and they told me that the screen is now stationary. They say that in Ontario, for cars built past a certain date, the screens on new cars past a particular time are not permitted to retract into the dash. Something about the new back-up camera legislation.

Does anyone have a fix? I'm thinking of paying someone to flash the MMI to the prior software version, or just driving over to Quebec and getting a dealership to flash to their most recent version. But since the MMI is tied to drive modes, etc, I don't want to void a warranty.

I'm very unhappy with this. I called and complained to customer care, to see if they can do anything (ie retrofit prior mmi software version). Funnily enough, last week I had a deposit down on a CPO car that had the retracting system.

I found another thread on this - New Q7 owner had the same issue.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...tract-2953440/
Old 09-12-2018, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a regulation in which the rear view camera must be viewable within a certain amount of time, if the screen was retracted and it needed to pop up to display the camera, it didn't meet the new spec.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I’m gonna search for that regulation later. Does anyone have it?
Old 09-12-2018, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

try this

https://www.google.com/search?q=FMVS...hrome&ie=UTF-8

NTEA's Rear Visibility FMVSS 111 Field of View (Rearview Camera) Conformity Resources
Old 09-12-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You say you are in Ontario....Canada or California? If Canada, that regulation should not apply, as it is a US regulation. I also agree with you as I leave my screen down at all times except for the odd time I use Google maps and was one of the reasons I bought my S3 for the clean dashboard look and not some I-Pad stuck on the dash.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks All.

I'm in Ontario, Canada.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tax Lit
I test drove two RS3s and really liked the fact that the screen was retractable. In fact, I specifically chose my last car (e92 M3) with no nav to get a clean dash.

I picked up my new RS3 yesterday, and drove it up to the detailer. Everything seems good. I push the retract button when I arrived at the detailer. The display turned off, but didn't go into the dash. I assumed I needed to modify some kind of setting somewhere deep in the system in order to get it to not just turn off, but go into the dash. I left it with them to start PPF, ceramic, etc.

I called the dealership where i bought it yesterday evening, and they told me that the screen is now stationary. They say that in Ontario, for cars built past a certain date, the screens on new cars past a particular time are not permitted to retract into the dash. Something about the new back-up camera legislation.

Does anyone have a fix? I'm thinking of paying someone to flash the MMI to the prior software version, or just driving over to Quebec and getting a dealership to flash to their most recent version. But since the MMI is tied to drive modes, etc, I don't want to void a warranty.

I'm very unhappy with this. I called and complained to customer care, to see if they can do anything (ie retrofit prior mmi software version). Funnily enough, last week I had a deposit down on a CPO car that had the retracting system.

I found another thread on this - New Q7 owner had the same issue.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...tract-2953440/
That sucks. I also appreciate the fact that I can lower the screen. I didn't trade yet in part because all newer Audi screens look like they were glued on as an after thought. I guess I will just have to get used to it
Old 09-21-2018, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Confirmed that my RS3 screen doesn't retract. I thought it was a setting but unfortunately its not. My RS3 was manufactured in June 2018 so I am at a loss

I sure hope someone comes out with a fix soon because this is not what I was sold (I test drove an RS3 where the screen retracted just fine).

Audi if you are reading these threads you need to find a better option than this. You're making a lot of owners upset by taking the easy way out of this requirement. Find a more creative solution. For example, make the back up camera screen appear on the Virtual Dashboard if the center screen is down.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Is this only Canada, or the US as well?
Old 09-21-2018, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I believe it's a US regulation (https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.111) that is incorporated by reference into the Canadian regulations (https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regula...-crc-c1038.htm). So it would be for both Canada and the US.

Last edited by Tax Lit; 09-21-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply: SCREENS NO LONGER RETRACT