Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

SD card 128 GB?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericbergan
Apparently on the e-tron, its a max (around 5000?) in a folder. But our SD has about 7000 across lots of subfolders, and it seemed to handle it, after chewing on it awhile to index.
With the B & O system, maximum number of songs the car will recognize is 10K per card. if they are not higher than 192 bit MP3 Files that will fit on a 64 Gb SDXC card when the MP3 files are individual tracks. The car recognizes the SDXC cards but the song limit makes it a waste of money to go with a 128 Gb card. The amount of music that could be accessed would go up dramatically if albums were saved as a continuous file for the whole album.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobMar46
With the B & O system, maximum number of songs the car will recognize is 10K per card. if they are not higher than 192 bit MP3 Files that will fit on a 64 Gb SDXC card when the MP3 files are individual tracks. The car recognizes the SDXC cards but the song limit makes it a waste of money to go with a 128 Gb card. The amount of music that could be accessed would go up dramatically if albums were saved as a continuous file for the whole album.
Well I went ahead and gave it a shot! Copied all of my albums onto a 128 gb card. Ended up taking up 115 gb with 1615 folders and 19,850 songs. It took about 5 min to load but the system handled it all fine!
Old 07-19-2016, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

If BobM is right about a 10,000 song (or file) limit in the system, you may experience what I did with the stock (not MMI) system. That is, it will accept the larger media without any indication of a problem. But, all of the files "beyond the limit" are simply not recognized and cannot be played. In my case, the first 32GB on a 64GB SDHC card were recognized, but only the tracks written to the first 32GB on that card were indexed and available to play. Again, if BobM is right, that would mean the first 10,000 songs on your card will be on the car's index, and the other 9,850 may simply not be seen or found. You might want to try looking for them and playing them, so see if you've hit any such limit.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
If BobM is right about a 10,000 song (or file) limit in the system, you may experience what I did with the stock (not MMI) system. That is, it will accept the larger media without any indication of a problem. But, all of the files "beyond the limit" are simply not recognized and cannot be played. In my case, the first 32GB on a 64GB SDHC card were recognized, but only the tracks written to the first 32GB on that card were indexed and available to play. Again, if BobM is right, that would mean the first 10,000 songs on your card will be on the car's index, and the other 9,850 may simply not be seen or found. You might want to try looking for them and playing them, so see if you've hit any such limit.
Info on file limit was in my MMI Manual in a section about Supported Media and File Formats. It says there that SD, SDHC SDXC and MMC cards can be used with capacity up to 64 Gb.

File limits shown were DVD drive - 1,000 per disc (it will recognize dual layer discs), Jukebox (hard drive) 3,000 files up to 10 Gb in total size, and memory cards max. 10,000 files per medium. My car has two SD slots and both cards inserted are at the file limit.

I usually listen randomly and based on artist and song titles shown when they are playing it looks like all of the files are being accessed. I do not have the files in folders and sub folders. It is possible based on how the system stores the info that those may be included as files cutting down the number of songs that could be played. Without the MMI limits may be different and I suspect there is not a hard drive.

It appears that limits are based on the maximum size of the database that keeps track of what is loaded for each device. However there could be addressing issues when using a reasonably full card over the 64 Gb stated maximum. The system reads and displays MP3 tag info in the files if they are tagged. That system truncates names at 30 characters each for artist, album and song.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by davisflyer
Well I went ahead and gave it a shot! Copied all of my albums onto a 128 gb card. Ended up taking up 115 gb with 1615 folders and 19,850 songs. It took about 5 min to load but the system handled it all fine!
Normally the cards would store folders and files alphabetically. You should be able to verify if all songs can be accessed by trying to go to album artist / album name that would be near the end of what you loaded. I tend to believe that if their file limits stated are correct that some will not be recognized. It is hard to tell if the system stores the info for the time the same card is loaded or reloads it every time the car is started. However it does take longer for the system to startup when cards near the limit are loaded than when radio is sound source.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I can now confirm that many of the folders are not accessible on the 128 GB card. So it seems that the 10,000 file limit is real. I guess my wife just inherited a new 128 GB card for her camera, lol. Going back to my 64 GB card.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by davisflyer
Well, I can now confirm that many of the folders are not accessible on the 128 GB card. So it seems that the 10,000 file limit is real. I guess my wife just inherited a new 128 GB card for her camera, lol. Going back to my 64 GB card.
Well, good to know. Thanks for taking one for the team. I've loaded up all my music on a 64gb card (actually a microSD as they were cheaper, for some reason). I'll have to double-check that my ZZ Top albums are available.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just confirming a 10,000 file limit on my brand new 2017 A3 Prestige with Bang & Olufsen stereo. I've got a 128GB SDXC card, exFAT formatted, with about 90GB of stuff loaded on it. The MMI crashed the first time it indexed the card, but then music played anyway. On closer examination it won't play audio after about Johnny Cash in the third of six folders. If stuff was copied alphabetically that's just about the 10,000th file. It's also about 69GB, at first I thought maybe it was a 64GB limit until I counted more carefully.

What a dumb limit.

BTW, has anyone figured out how to force the MMI to reindex an SD card? Where is it storing the index, anyway? It's not on the card; there's a tiny WMPInfo.xml file it's writing but no files big enough to be an index.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't complain. Audi is still in shock that an auto-reverse cassette player won't satisfy their customers any more.

Apparently my friends new-used-2015 Subaru also has a more advanced music system than my Q5 does. And, I think his radio will keep playing after the engine is shut, until the driver's door is opened.

The phrase "asleep at the switch" comes to mind.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nelson Minar
Just confirming a 10,000 file limit on my brand new 2017 A3 Prestige with Bang & Olufsen stereo. I've got a 128GB SDXC card, exFAT formatted, with about 90GB of stuff loaded on it. The MMI crashed the first time it indexed the card, but then music played anyway. On closer examination it won't play audio after about Johnny Cash in the third of six folders. If stuff was copied alphabetically that's just about the 10,000th file. It's also about 69GB, at first I thought maybe it was a 64GB limit until I counted more carefully.

What a dumb limit.

BTW, has anyone figured out how to force the MMI to reindex an SD card? Where is it storing the index, anyway? It's not on the card; there's a tiny WMPInfo.xml file it's writing but no files big enough to be an index.
If you rename the card a different name on a PC, the MMI should think that it is a different card even if contents are the same.

Has any one tried high resolution files on a 128 Gb card? At 192 bit 10k just barely fits. I tend to think that the limit of 10k is based on the amount of space reserved for the artist, song, and album info. At higher resolution it would take more than a 64 Gb card to hold all 10K.

Quick Reply: SD card 128 GB?