Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

SD Card Type & Size?

Old 08-11-2017, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SD Card Type & Size?

For those of you who have either have already received their RS3 (although I would hope it pertains to A3 / S3 as well) I was curious about the SD cards we are supposed to use. I am assuming its a standard SD card (so please let me know if that's a bad assumption) but my real question is .... is there a SIZE LIMIT or any other special consideration(s)? Thanks.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
For those of you who have either have already received their RS3 (although I would hope it pertains to A3 / S3 as well) I was curious about the SD cards we are supposed to use. I am assuming its a standard SD card (so please let me know if that's a bad assumption) but my real question is .... is there a SIZE LIMIT or any other special consideration(s)? Thanks.
From the owners manual.... 128GB (page 237)

SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC memory cards: with a capacity of up to 128 GB media DVD drive: audio CDs (up to 80 min) with CD text (artist, album, song)*, CD-ROMs with a capacity of up to 700 MB; DVD±R/RW; DVD video; DVD audio with audio tracks that are compatible with a DVD video player; Audi music interface*: mobile devices (such as an iPod ˘page 229, MTP player, USB storage device in "USB Device Subclass 1 and 6" that conforms to USB 2.0: USB sticks, USB MP3 players (Plug-and-Play-capable), external USB flash drives and hard drives
Old 08-11-2017, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ken-yyz
From the owners manual.... 128GB (page 237)

SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC memory cards: with a capacity of up to 128 GB media DVD drive: audio CDs (up to 80 min) with CD text (artist, album, song)*, CD-ROMs with a capacity of up to 700 MB; DVD±R/RW; DVD video; DVD audio with audio tracks that are compatible with a DVD video player; Audi music interface*: mobile devices (such as an iPod ˘page 229, MTP player, USB storage device in "USB Device Subclass 1 and 6" that conforms to USB 2.0: USB sticks, USB MP3 players (Plug-and-Play-capable), external USB flash drives and hard drives
Thanks and much appreciated!!
Old 08-14-2017, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This probably won't be a huge concern for most people, but there is a limit of 10,000 songs.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by davisflyer
This probably won't be a huge concern for most people, but there is a limit of 10,000 songs.
RE: SD Cards I have another question. As per the manual, the size limit is 128GB but also according to the manual the larger the size the longer the loading time so they encourage you to use playlists, artists, etc. But my question is instead of using ONE Large 128GB SD card, should we use TWO (2) 64GB cards or does it even matter? Inquiring minds (who need to purchase) would love to know.

Also, are there any other watchouts in terms of brands, etc. Would this one work well?
Amazon Amazon

Thanks.

Last edited by russbert; 10-28-2017 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RE: SD Cards I have another question. As per the manual, the size limit is 128GB but also according to the manual the larger the size the longer the loading time so they encourage you to use playlists, artists, etc. But my question is instead of using ONE Large 128GB SD card, should we use TWO (2) 64GB cards or does it even matter? Inquiring minds (who need to purchase) would love to know.

Thanks.
This is the tactic I tried (also to get over the 10,000 song limit). The one issue with using cards is that each one appears separately in the Media options. So, you have to select whether you want to play music from sd card 1 or sd card 2. Not a big deal, but one extra step vs.a single larger card. But then who listens to music in this car when we have that engine?!
Old 10-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't forget you can use the jukebox for your songs.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by nesbit
Don't forget you can use the jukebox for your songs.
I did FORGET so thanks for the reminder! I see from the electronic manual is has a 10GB limit. Have you compared playing from the Jukebox vs SD card(s) in terms of download or loading time for playing? Just curious. And thanks again.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zzcett
..... But then who listens to music in this car when we have that engine?!
+1 Exactly. LOL
Old 10-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did FORGET so thanks for the reminder! I see from the electronic manual is has a 10GB limit. Have you compared playing from the Jukebox vs SD card(s) in terms of download or loading time for playing? Just curious. And thanks again.
Playing shouldn't matter. The data throughput of even the cheapest card should be much higher than needed for the music. Loading directories might be faster on a card with a higher random read speed. To be honest I only have about 60 songs in a single directory and I don't really notice it loading.

I would suspect the flash memory used for the jukebox has a parallel bus or a much faster serial bus than what is used to access an SD card.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SD Card Type & Size?