Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

so.. got rear ended. need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heartbeat91
i cannot go to an audi certified shop. i really can't. the earliest they're open is mid august and i literally cannot afford to get rental for an entire month (i don't have rental coverage because i didn't think i need it. first accident..)
so.. i'm going with a shop taht does german cars generalist.
Why would you be fitting the rental bill? That would be on the insurer of the driver at fault.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because the insurer of the driver at fault does not have enough coverage, we are going with my insurance. and my insurance does does not have rental, so i cannot get a rental. my lawyer is having me still get one, but she plans to sue the other insurer for all the amounts getting expensed. with that said, since for now this rental is being expensed out of pocket, i can't just be paying 30 a day for rental for a month.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

wondering how someone is compensated in a case like this for the loss in value for resale or trade-in purposes down the road.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rynrynryn
wondering how someone is compensated in a case like this for the loss in value for resale or trade-in purposes down the road.
This is the first thing that popped into my mind....diminished value. I assume you would go through the other person’s insurance, but it sounds like he won’t be able to squeeze water out of a rock. This is a ****ty situation all around.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurac
This is the first thing that popped into my mind....diminished value. I assume you would go through the other person’s insurance, but it sounds like he won’t be able to squeeze water out of a rock. This is a ****ty situation all around.
Diminished value is extremely dependent on which state you reside in. I tried this in Ohio and it didn't work so you would have to sue the individual in that particular case.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

after talking with lawyer today, it seems like getting anything for diminished value is .. likely not going to happen. Disheartening for sure, but I'm honestly trying to think positively, as I was pretty much being really sad the past 2 days.
I wasn't planning on selling the car or trading it in any time in the near future, I love my car way too much for it. so the diminished value from this accident is less important, at least that's what I am telling myself. Yes, it will eventually be traded in, maybe 5 years from now, and yes, it will see the diminished value during the trade in there, but... if it's enough time (5 years enough?) later, I'm hoping it won't matter too much, as opposed to the value damage it takes now.

That being said - if there is any thing I can do more to get something more, or something you guys think i should ask my lawyer.. please let me know. anything helps.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't tell from your photo but is that a metallic paint color on your car? If so, a good body shop will tell you they have to paint the panels surrounding the damaged ones so that they can blend/match the color properly. That will turn into a lot of labor and miscellaneous trim parts as they have to replace any mouldings they pull off in order to repaint doors etc.

We had a small dent on the driver's door of our '17 Q3 and they had to replace the door shell according to Audi repair standards. After all the work painting fore and aft, the amount I saw billed to insurance was almost $9k. Our car was in the shop for almost a month.

I think you should rethink going to a lesser body shop to save rental cost. Figure out another option, whether leaning on family for rides or getting by with something like Uber/Lyft for a while...
Old 07-19-2018, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by carkarl
I can't tell from your photo but is that a metallic paint color on your car? If so, a good body shop will tell you they have to paint the panels surrounding the damaged ones so that they can blend/match the color properly. That will turn into a lot of labor and miscellaneous trim parts as they have to replace any mouldings they pull off in order to repaint doors etc.

We had a small dent on the driver's door of our '17 Q3 and they had to replace the door shell according to Audi repair standards. After all the work painting fore and aft, the amount I saw billed to insurance was almost $9k. Our car was in the shop for almost a month.

I think you should rethink going to a lesser body shop to save rental cost. Figure out another option, whether leaning on family for rides or getting by with something like Uber/Lyft for a while...
It's Navarra Blue - so yeah it's metallic. And wow, that's quite concerning - I will talk to my lawyer first thing tomorrow morning and see if I can still change the option - I believe my car was already towed to that shop though, so I fear it might be too late.

https://bellevuecollision.com/

that's the place where my car is taken currently. Reviews and whatnot seems promising at least.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

another question for ya'll - since I have not gotten a reply back today from the adjuster,

do you guys think the frame's bent based on the pictures? Pls say no... ugh my car will never be the same again.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heartbeat91
It's Navarra Blue - so yeah it's metallic. And wow, that's quite concerning - I will talk to my lawyer first thing tomorrow morning and see if I can still change the option - I believe my car was already towed to that shop though, so I fear it might be too late.

https://bellevuecollision.com/

that's the place where my car is taken currently. Reviews and whatnot seems promising at least.
You should only taken your car there to get a quote. Get a quote from them, get a quote from the certified Audi repair center, and another quote.

Did you get your insurance involved? Your insurance should be helping you with this, they determined the fault is the other driver, they will help get your car repairs and go after the other insurance for the deductible and repair fees.

I did this back when I was in an accident with my Hyundai Sonata I was leasing. I got a quote from 3 different shops including the dealer collision repair shop. Ultimately took it to the Dealer's collision repair shop to get resolved as the other driver who was a fault insurance was footing the bill. My insurance made it easy for me, they did the heavy work, and provided me the damage estimator, and I provided him the quotes collected from the repair shops.

With my A3 any issue I get, (primarily door dings, and rear bumps from *******s) I take my car to the certified Audi Collision Center for damage repair. I'm not dealing with no 3rd rate shop to work on my car.

Last edited by gamegenie; 07-19-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply: so.. got rear ended. need advice!