Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Stage 1 Tune Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 Tune Issue

Hey there,
I've got a 2018 S3. I had the APR Stage 1 tune on it and ran into a problem with the wastegate motor being stuck open. I flashed the car back to stock and took it to Audi to have it looked at. The tech took the computer offline and did a scan on the car. When he scanned it he found that the last 3 of the VIN and ECU did not match. This would lead obviously to a TD1. I contacted APR and they said all the tunes they do would never force change the box codes and that shouldn't be an issue. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this? Cannot seem to find any reason why the numbers of the stock tune/ecu/vin would randomly not match up.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I find it HIGHLY unlikely that the Audi assembly line got the numbers wrong - The APR installer/ tech did this - as much as I like them and their products are fantastic - it's still where I think a switch was made. Not sure how they can possibly make this right at this point - can't undo a TD1 as far as I know.

"that shouldn't be an issue"

well it is.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's the kind of response I got from APR when they screwed up my software years ago.. couple grand of my expense later, they fixed the software, but never even acknowledged their mistake. Its great when right, but not very good support when its not... (had exhaust failure issues with their stuff previously too)
Old 01-20-2019, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinnetti
That's the kind of response I got from APR when they screwed up my software years ago.. couple grand of my expense later, they fixed the software, but never even acknowledged their mistake. Its great when right, but not very good support when its not... (had exhaust failure issues with their stuff previously too)
I'm sad to hear this. Bummer.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I was curious and did a little poking around on the web. There are many articles that suggest re-flashing back to stock does not hide the fact that the car was modified and that the ECU code is incremented (which sounds like your problem). I've included a link to one of the articles I read.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492
Old 01-21-2019, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There’s zero reason to use a canned tune in this day and age.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

APR does not even try to be incognito... sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeiit.............. it's not like this hasn't happened 10 million times. One would think that by now APR could have figured that out. I miss the old days when we swapped the ECU by hand. True, its harder now to avoid TD1 but still...APR should know better. And yes they will tell you "Sorry Buck-o" if you can even get a hold of them

Glad I resisted the urge to tune. I have been stock as a rock for 4+ years. GL bro
Old 01-31-2019, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't understand how switching back and forth between tunes has led to this. I've had my 2016 TT flashed back and forth a few times now before service, there are no glaring issues associated with that. However, it's not hidden you have a tune IF they want to dig deep enough. Sounds like the dealer suspected a tune and looked further. This is why I think APR+ is a great program....you retain warranty coverage. Hope you get some resolution.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I don't understand how switching back and forth between tunes has led to this. I've had my 2016 TT flashed back and forth a few times now before service, there are no glaring issues associated with that. However, it's not hidden you have a tune IF they want to dig deep enough. Sounds like the dealer suspected a tune and looked further. This is why I think APR+ is a great program....you retain warranty coverage. Hope you get some resolution.
Not really - you don't really "retain your warranty coverage" with APR+. APR just cover you for whatever Audi had denied with APR+. But then again, good luck in that fight as I am sure you will get ping pong'ed back and forth between APR and Audi.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Seems rather disingenuous to assume APR would be difficult to get along with on a warranty claim. Few people with a Stage 1 tune will EVER have a failure anyhow. Still seems like pretty awesome coverage to me. I have Stage 1 on my TT, 40,000 miles with zero issues.