AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-mkii-209/)
-   -   Start-Stop hate (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-mkii-209/start-stop-hate-2972319/)

jermarTT 05-14-2019 05:27 AM

Start-Stop hate

I hate the S-S "feature" in my 18 S3. I lease and I'm wondering if I will cause problems at the dealer if I defeat it with OBD11. I assume I can easily change it at lease end, but I wouldn't want to switch for every dealer visit. Is this too risky?
Thanks

s3burgh 05-14-2019 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by jermarTT (Post 25316506)
I hate the S-S "feature" in my 18 S3. I lease and I'm wondering if I will cause problems at the dealer if I defeat it with OBD11. I assume I can easily change it at lease end, but I wouldn't want to switch for every dealer visit. Is this too risky?
Thanks

I don't see how permanently disabling with obd11 is any different than disabling manually every time you drove the car. I see no chance of them ever being able to pin any warranty issue on a disabled start/stop.

SCarGuy 05-14-2019 07:32 AM

are you sure you can turn it off altogether?

s3burgh 05-14-2019 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by SCarGuy (Post 25316576)

I did on my 17 with obdeleven and/or carista

jermarTT 05-14-2019 07:43 AM

I live with constant stop & go traffic. I find it a pain to press the button to turn it off every time I drive. Yes, I'm spoiled. Does anyone like this feature? A few years ago, BMW would program the button so you can have SS off unless you press. Default was press to disable SS like ours.

XMetal00 05-14-2019 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by jermarTT (Post 25316506)
Thanks

I left it disabled on my dealer visits and they didn't even noticed it.

I did it on my 18 with obdeleven

PaperLion 05-14-2019 08:34 PM

I went from a Prius to an S3 (long story) and the hybrid had SS, I dont think it was defeatable. The S3 SS is better from almost every angle. I find it pretty intuitive, if you don't depress the brake too much, it wont activate. I don't spend time in SS traffic but I sit at lights a fair amount. It doesn't bother me at all.

marttimat 05-14-2019 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by jermarTT (Post 25316586)
I live with constant stop & go traffic. I find it a pain to press the button to turn it off every time I drive. Yes, I'm spoiled. Does anyone like this feature? A few years ago, BMW would program the button so you can have SS off unless you press. Default was press to disable SS like ours.

There are several levels when it comes to emission compliance (entire model line wide) depending on several countries. If you equip S/S with memory learned disable feature (like earlier German brands), the manufacturer does not get a lower emissions score than those "with always on" S/S as default. Audi went with always active S/S on newer models to further put them in line with more stringent emission standards and further put the company in compliance as a whole. You may be wondering then why the RS3 does not have S/S. This is because this vehicle is what Audi considers to be limited run spec vehicle. If they keep production numbers under a certain amount per region, these emission standards are note effected by this vehicle build. Honestly, there is a TON that goes into feature implantation and cost associated per model per global region with emission standards.

In the end, the reason for all of us having to hit the button for S/S disable every drive cycle on face-lift cars is for emission compliance and someone at Audi said "no one will mind hitting the button every drive cycle... Ya." (unless of course you manually change codings to have S/S disabled).

Cheers.

Sinister#4 05-15-2019 04:11 AM

I would never buy a car that had start stop, its moronic

jermarTT 05-15-2019 06:30 AM

Thanks marttimat. I've heard about the emissions compliance before. My concern is, will the dealer be upset that I poke around w OBD 11 settings on a leased car?