Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 and up Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Start-Stop hate

Old 05-14-2019, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Start-Stop hate

I hate the S-S "feature" in my 18 S3. I lease and I'm wondering if I will cause problems at the dealer if I defeat it with OBD11. I assume I can easily change it at lease end, but I wouldn't want to switch for every dealer visit. Is this too risky?
Thanks
Old 05-14-2019, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jermarTT View Post
I hate the S-S "feature" in my 18 S3. I lease and I'm wondering if I will cause problems at the dealer if I defeat it with OBD11. I assume I can easily change it at lease end, but I wouldn't want to switch for every dealer visit. Is this too risky?
Thanks
I don't see how permanently disabling with obd11 is any different than disabling manually every time you drove the car. I see no chance of them ever being able to pin any warranty issue on a disabled start/stop.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

are you sure you can turn it off altogether?
Old 05-14-2019, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy View Post
I did on my 17 with obdeleven and/or carista
Old 05-14-2019, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I live with constant stop & go traffic. I find it a pain to press the button to turn it off every time I drive. Yes, I'm spoiled. Does anyone like this feature? A few years ago, BMW would program the button so you can have SS off unless you press. Default was press to disable SS like ours.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks
I left it disabled on my dealer visits and they didn't even noticed it.

I did it on my 18 with obdeleven
Old 05-14-2019, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I went from a Prius to an S3 (long story) and the hybrid had SS, I dont think it was defeatable. The S3 SS is better from almost every angle. I find it pretty intuitive, if you don't depress the brake too much, it wont activate. I don't spend time in SS traffic but I sit at lights a fair amount. It doesn't bother me at all.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I live with constant stop & go traffic. I find it a pain to press the button to turn it off every time I drive. Yes, I'm spoiled. Does anyone like this feature? A few years ago, BMW would program the button so you can have SS off unless you press. Default was press to disable SS like ours.
There are several levels when it comes to emission compliance (entire model line wide) depending on several countries. If you equip S/S with memory learned disable feature (like earlier German brands), the manufacturer does not get a lower emissions score than those "with always on" S/S as default. Audi went with always active S/S on newer models to further put them in line with more stringent emission standards and further put the company in compliance as a whole. You may be wondering then why the RS3 does not have S/S. This is because this vehicle is what Audi considers to be limited run spec vehicle. If they keep production numbers under a certain amount per region, these emission standards are note effected by this vehicle build. Honestly, there is a TON that goes into feature implantation and cost associated per model per global region with emission standards.

In the end, the reason for all of us having to hit the button for S/S disable every drive cycle on face-lift cars is for emission compliance and someone at Audi said "no one will mind hitting the button every drive cycle... Ya." (unless of course you manually change codings to have S/S disabled).

Cheers.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would never buy a car that had start stop, its moronic
Old 05-15-2019, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks marttimat. I've heard about the emissions compliance before. My concern is, will the dealer be upset that I poke around w OBD 11 settings on a leased car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Start-Stop hate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: