Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Subwoofer volume control missing from 2017 S3 sedan B&O system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Subwoofer volume control missing from 2017 S3 sedan B&O system?

hi all, i have done some digging in the forum to try to answer my question - is my subwoofer volume control missing from my MMI on purpose or not? from my digging, it appears that folks with a sedan and the B&O have the subwoofer volume control in their sound settings. folks with the cabriolet and B&O do not have the volume control since they do not have a sub. can someone with a sedan and the B&O please chime in and let me know if you have a sub volume control in your sound settings? if yes, i am thinking my car was programmed as a cabriolet, if that is even possible. fyi, i def do have the B&O and i have a sub in the rear shelf. i have ensured that the sub is working. i just am not able to control its volume. thanks in advance for your help!
Old 01-09-2017, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by -hef-
hi all, i have done some digging in the forum to try to answer my question - is my subwoofer volume control missing from my MMI on purpose or not? from my digging, it appears that folks with a sedan and the B&O have the subwoofer volume control in their sound settings. folks with the cabriolet and B&O do not have the volume control since they do not have a sub. can someone with a sedan and the B&O please chime in and let me know if you have a sub volume control in your sound settings? if yes, i am thinking my car was programmed as a cabriolet, if that is even possible. fyi, i def do have the B&O and i have a sub in the rear shelf. i have ensured that the sub is working. i just am not able to control its volume. thanks in advance for your help!
2017 S3 B&O sedan here, no subwoofer control.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

They got rid of it for whatever reason unfortunately
Old 01-09-2017, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s3burgh
They got rid of it for whatever reason unfortunately
thank you for responding! so that tells me that the older version of the MMI did have the control but the new one does not and should not. i even saw a pic that someone took of their sound settings in a 2015 A3 with B&O. it had the sub volume control. i am bummed. sub loudness is the only thing lacking from the B&O IMO.

fyi, i have done a lot of experimentation with the sound settings and have learned that the SDV setting seems to make changes to the EQ and not just the volume. i have turned SDV off and cannot get the bass to hit like it does when the SDV setting is turned all the way up (even with the volume cranked). it is a shame bc with the SDV turned all the way up, when the music stops for a second in a song and it comes back on, it sounds like someone turned the volume all the way up for a split second. scares the hell out of me. lol i have researched adding on a sub... really don't want to install an amp and i don't really trust anyone in this area to do the install.

Last edited by -hef-; 01-09-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was me. My 2015 A3 with B&O has the sub volume control. Go to the dealer and have them explain the radio. That's what I did. They had a salesman that went to class just for the radios.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2015 A3 with non-B&O Audi Sound System has a sub volume control.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I believe they skipped sub control on the 2017s. Even the A4 with the B&O doesn't have subwoofer controls. But the Q7 does.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks guys, for the additional input.

i weighed multiple options for enhancing sub volume... everything from creating a box for the existing sub and bolting it up under the sub to full blown aftermarket amp/sub. i chose an in-between option of replacing the factory sub with a 10" sub in the same location. it's a DVC sub which i plan to wire at 8 ohms initially. if i don't hear improvement in sub volume, i am going to run it at 4 ohms. even though it is harder on the amp, i have seen 2 posts on the forum where folks are doing this and the stock amp hasn't let out on them yet. if that solution doesn't work at either impedance, i am going to install an amp and connect it up to the sub i am installing in the rear deck. that should close the loop on needing more volume from the sub. i will follow up with whatever i wind up with and post it in a separate thread.

Last edited by -hef-; 01-12-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by -hef-
thanks guys, for the additional input.

i weighed multiple options for enhancing sub volume... everything from creating a box for the existing sub and bolting it up under the sub to full blown aftermarket amp/sub. i chose an in-between option of replacing the factory sub with a 10" sub in the same location. it's a DVC sub which i plan to wire at 8 ohms initially. if i don't hear improvement in sub volume, i am going to run it at 4 ohms. even though it is harder on the amp, i have seen 2 posts on the forum where folks are doing this and the stock amp hasn't let out on them yet. if that solution doesn't work at either impedance, i am going to install an amp and connect it up to the sub i am installing in the rear deck. that should close the loop on needing more volume from the sub. i will follow up with whatever i wind up with and post it in a separate thread.
I don't know if it will work for the S3 but in the new A4, Mitchfin did get sub control by putting in Q7 coding for the mmi. But that resulted in the graphics (picture of the car in the mmi) changing to the one with the Q7 image. But he did get sub control and it did work. I guess you could set the sub level to whatever you wish and then revert settings to original but I'm not sure the sub level you set will stick. Mitchfin would be able to answer that hopefully.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I don't know if it will work for the S3 but in the new A4, Mitchfin did get sub control by putting in Q7 coding for the mmi. But that resulted in the graphics (picture of the car in the mmi) changing to the one with the Q7 image. But he did get sub control and it did work. I guess you could set the sub level to whatever you wish and then revert settings to original but I'm not sure the sub level you set will stick. Mitchfin would be able to answer that hopefully.
thanks for that. i actually did see that post. i assumed, and shouldnt have, that reverting back would wipe the setting. it would be tremendous to be able to crank it to the highest setting using the Q7 display and then revert back. i will follow up.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer volume control missing from 2017 S3 sedan B&O system?