Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Taking 2016 A3 Cabriolet out on a race track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking 2016 A3 Cabriolet out on a race track?

My wife has asked me if I would like to take my '16 A3 Cab up to Brainerd International Raceway as a birthday gift this August. That sounds fantastic to me, but I'm wondering what, if anything I would need to consider before trying that. My Cab is the Premium Plus and does not have the sports package or larger wheels. Anything I would need to be careful about before doing some laps on the course? Here is a link to their website so you can see the track I'm talking about: Road Courses | Brainerd International Raceway & Resort .
Old 07-16-2016, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Cab restrictions

Some tracks/events have restrictions on open topped cars - so check.
Otherwise take everything out that might move ( I even take the floor mats out)
Check your fluids and tires. Have plenty of gas.
Have fun!
Old 07-17-2016, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks whitby. Good advice.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey all, I went to the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve F1 race track today in Montreal, Canada and filmed a small promo video... What do you think?
Old 07-18-2016, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by njajr
My wife has asked me if I would like to take my '16 A3 Cab up to Brainerd International Raceway as a birthday gift this August. That sounds fantastic to me, but I'm wondering what, if anything I would need to consider before trying that. My Cab is the Premium Plus and does not have the sports package or larger wheels. Anything I would need to be careful about before doing some laps on the course? Here is a link to their website so you can see the track I'm talking about: Road Courses | Brainerd International Raceway & Resort .

Having done quite a few track days in my Mini Cooper, I will tell you that it is a lot of fun. There are a few things to keep in mind: make sure they allow convertibles. A lot do, but require top and windows to be closed. You don't need a high performance car or parts to have a lot of fun. Go with a mentality of bettering your driving skills. Plan on the possibility of a needing new tires after a day at the track. Have fun! It's not a race and there will always be faster cars and drivers.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've never done one, but I've heard that your regular insurance does not cover any damage during a track day. You may need to get special "track" insurance. I think they have policies you can get just for one day. Have a blast!
Old 07-19-2016, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HockeyCrazi
I've never done one, but I've heard that your regular insurance does not cover any damage during a track day. You may need to get special "track" insurance. I think they have policies you can get just for one day. Have a blast!
You are right. Though I have never done anything bad enough to require bodywork repair. There are relatively cheap track day insurance packages if you want the peace of mind.
I have always had a spare set of wheels with old tires for track days, as you can destroy them pretty easily.