Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Turbo lag?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo lag?

How obnoxious does the turbo lag get? During a test drive it seemed worse than my macan gts and two test drives of a quadrifoglio. Slowing down then quickly trying to accelerate it didn't do anything for a solid second or two. Man but once up to speed it accelerates like crazy and the glorious exhaust.

Edit : I also recognize what I'm describing may not be turbo lag per se but still a delay in throttle response.

Edit 2 : referring to rs3.

Last edited by Dchang81; 05-27-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you have the engine and transmission set in dynamic mode. That makes for a faster throttle response. Yes there is turbo lab up to about 1600 RPM but most 4 and 5 banger turbos suffer with turbo lag..
Old 05-28-2019, 06:22 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dchang81
How obnoxious does the turbo lag get? During a test drive it seemed worse than my macan gts and two test drives of a quadrifoglio. Slowing down then quickly trying to accelerate it didn't do anything for a solid second or two. Man but once up to speed it accelerates like crazy and the glorious exhaust.

Edit : I also recognize what I'm describing may not be turbo lag per se but still a delay in throttle response.

Edit 2 : referring to rs3.
Dchang81,

The below is me taking delivery of mine like a week or so ago.
You can see the Full Post with lots and lots of pictures by going to my dedicated thread in my signature if your interested.
I also POSTED a video of what both of us are speaking of on my thread.

As far as actually driving it and what I came away with ???
Speaking just for myself and not even remotely trying to tell someone else what to think.
I may have driven it 30-miles, maybe.
So it should be obvious to anyone what could I really say with it being a brand new car and my limited time in the driver's seat ???
I made sure before I pulled out from Audi Nashville that it was in, Dynamic & Sport modes.
Where I live we thankfully don't have screwed up streets, roads, or interstates.
More than likely I'll drive mine 90-Plus Percent of the time in those two modes.
I could constantly hear the engine as it was always at higher RPMs with those settings.
I could in general hear the exhaust and in some cases hear the street pavement according to it's surface.
I could (Easily) hear the exhaust as it went through the gears BOTH Up & Down shifting.
You could Definitely Hear it (The Exhaust) as it Down-Shifted coming to a stop which most guys I think would love.
I had my buddy Tom Cochran on the phone for sometime while we were driving it.
So, just for the heck of it I NAILED-IT to the floor in maybe 2nd or 3rd gear and took it to like 7,000 RPM once.
I said Tom that was 7K buddy and it does it instantly ..............
He did hear it doing it's thing as I was talking with him on the RS3's phone.
BTW, it was hottttttt yesterday so we had the windows-up and everything I said above was with the windows up.
It's brakes I really like and they to me feel GREAT.
I didn't have any reason to stand on them but in normal Stop & Go traffic they feel GREAT to me.

I'm thinking some of you might wonder how is it as far as taking off from a stop ???

This is what I observed guys .........
I obviously didn't Grand-Slam it from a Stop so let's all get past that sort of thing.
However IMO guys, it does seem to me to have a pause, when touching the gas according to what gear it's in and what RPM the engine is at.
And there is No-Way in hell that me or anyone else I don't think can put it in to exact wording to totally 100% describe that.
Also, for those interested, it does NOT even with it in Dynamic & Sport Modes with (Moderate) throttle take-off like a NON-Turbo-Car.
It's just simply the way it is if your in bumper to bumper traffic and driving there is some Pause/Hesitation driving it normal.
I think now after driving it myself I understand what the fellow that did the 1st video on You-tube was referring to between the S-Model versus the RS3.
To him it seemed the RS3 was NOT all that Quick/Responsive if driving much more normal.
So, let me say what I think on what I said and he said regarding the above with the RS3.
I think once it's actually got some real miles on it where you can drive it as you please.
And you just go ahead from a stop as aggressive as you like the above will not be an issue.
But, guys, this is NOT a Muscle-Car like the Challenger Hellcat I traded in on the RS3.
The Hellcat from a stop has ZERO hesitation period but it's totally two different engines and drive-trains.
I'm not trying to Bust any one's ***** on here and I sure hope No-One thinks I don't love my newly acquired RS3.
I love it and will continue to more so after it and I have time with one another so I totally know how it behaves and then I drive it accordingly.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 05-28-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, yea read through your thread. Not sure if it's actually turbo lag or transmission programming. I don't remember what mode I test drove it in, probably normal and not dynamic.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:48 PM

Thanks, yea read through your thread. Not sure if it's actually turbo lag or transmission programming.
I don't remember what mode I test drove it in, probably normal and not dynamic.
Well my man honestly it's just a characteristic of the RS3.
It's more programmed I'm thinking for Performance not so much for slow bumper to bumper poking along sort of driving.
Mine of course is new with no-miles so I can't say if any of this changes with miles or not.
I don't have an issue with it as I can adjust my driving style accordingly.
But, I know when I watched that guy's video I thought to myself well we shall see if he is talking $hit or is for real.
My now opinion is I get where he was coming from.
Driving the S-3 in the same circumstances I have little doubt it's more Zippy at low RPM and Poking around.

Terry

Old 05-28-2019, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All turbos have turbo lag, and we have to either accept it, or suffer it. If you add a supercharger, that should resolve the issue for you.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The RS3 and TTRS for that matter do have a significant turbo lag. Especially in scenarios described by OP. For example, slowing down into a corner, downshifting and then getting back on the throttle is met by a significant delay until the turbo has boost again and the car takes off. On a very curvy road driven in a spirited manner by the time the engine has boost again, it's already time to slow down for the next corner. For me personally that killed it for me.

The issue is that small displacement turbo charged engines have to make a lot of boost to get the power figures they offer. This leads to a significant difference between the naturally aspirated power the engine has on its own and the power it makes once boost kicks in. In other words a steep change in power delivery once the turbo comes in. In addition the RS3/TTRS only have a single turbo that needs to be large enough to make the power and as a consequence has more inertia and takes longer to spin. It's also on the side of the engine, so the piping is longer further increasing the lag.

All turbos have lag, that's correct, but there are designs that significantly reduce it. Currently the best designs are the hot-Vee biturbo V6 and V8 engines. Using two turbos allows them to be smaller and therefore quicker to spin and placing them inside of the V makes the piping very short further reducing lag. The higher displacement of these engines also reduce the amount of boost needed, so there isn't such a big difference between the power the engine makes on its own and the power it makes on boost. I recently took delivery of my 2019 C63S and if I didn't know it has turbos, I could barely tell. The 4.0 V8 makes decent power on its own down low, so the transition from off boost to on boost feels much more like a natural aspirated engine. I have yet to experience turbo lag in any situation. In the Audi camp, the V6TT in the RS5 is also very good in terms of not having much lag. It's the same design as the AMG V8TT, except that it's a V6 and needs to make a bit more boost to make similar power.

Ultimately, these cars will most likely all get 48V mild hybrid systems with an electric supercharger in addition to the turbo(s). The electric supercharger eliminates turbo lag completely as it produces boost while the regular turbo(s) spin up and then take over. Of course this all adds weight, so it's not all perfect.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by superswiss
The RS3 and TTRS for that matter do have a significant turbo lag. Especially in scenarios described by OP. For example, slowing down into a corner, downshifting and then getting back on the throttle is met by a significant delay until the turbo has boost again and the car takes off. On a very curvy road driven in a spirited manner by the time the engine has boost again, it's already time to slow down for the next corner. For me personally that killed it for me.

The issue is that small displacement turbo charged engines have to make a lot of boost to get the power figures they offer. This leads to a significant difference between the naturally aspirated power the engine has on its own and the power it makes once boost kicks in. In other words a steep change in power delivery once the turbo comes in. In addition the RS3/TTRS only have a single turbo that needs to be large enough to make the power and as a consequence has more inertia and takes longer to spin. It's also on the side of the engine, so the piping is longer further increasing the lag.

All turbos have lag, that's correct, but there are designs that significantly reduce it. Currently the best designs are the hot-Vee biturbo V6 and V8 engines. Using two turbos allows them to be smaller and therefore quicker to spin and placing them inside of the V makes the piping very short further reducing lag. The higher displacement of these engines also reduce the amount of boost needed, so there isn't such a big difference between the power the engine makes on its own and the power it makes on boost. I recently took delivery of my 2019 C63S and if I didn't know it has turbos, I could barely tell. The 4.0 V8 makes decent power on its own down low, so the transition from off boost to on boost feels much more like a natural aspirated engine. I have yet to experience turbo lag in any situation. In the Audi camp, the V6TT in the RS5 is also very good in terms of not having much lag. It's the same design as the AMG V8TT, except that it's a V6 and needs to make a bit more boost to make similar power.

Ultimately, these cars will most likely all get 48V mild hybrid systems with an electric supercharger in addition to the turbo(s). The electric supercharger eliminates turbo lag completely as it produces boost while the regular turbo(s) spin up and then take over. Of course this all adds weight, so it's not all perfect.
superswiss,

..... ..... ..... .....

I could not have possibly said or explained the above better, well done,
Terry
Old 05-29-2019, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess my thing was I have a 911 T and a Macan GTS that while they lag for half a beat, they at least go when I hit the gas. The RS3 felt like I would press the gas aggressively then it would think about what to do for a second rather than actual turbo lag. The Alfa QV had the same delay. Once the car was cooking it was amazing but yea I don't expect miracles from a small displacement turbo car.

My main question is I just didn't know if living with it day to day if it got grating. The RS5 felt like the macan in delivery but with a whole lot more shove.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the replies. I guess my thing was I have a 911 T and a Macan GTS that while they lag for half a beat, they at least go when I hit the gas. The RS3 felt like I would press the gas aggressively then it would think about what to do for a second rather than actual turbo lag. The Alfa QV had the same delay. Once the car was cooking it was amazing but yea I don't expect miracles from a small displacement turbo car.

The RS5 felt like the macan in delivery but with a whole lot more shove.

My main question is I just didn't know if living with it day to day if it got grating.
Dchang81,

Being 100% honest in what I think about your above ^^^ comment.
I really think it's all going to come down to where and how the RS3 is being driven for the majority of the time.
It's not going to be an issue to me simply because once I actually see just how it's going to behave I'll work around it.
Also in my case there are so many-many other positive things I do luv they far-far outweigh the stumble, slow-reaction, transmission reaction etc.

I can easily see that if the owner was always driving it where the above ^^^ takes place it might be a Pain to deal with frequently !!!

Luckily for me mine is actually a Guy Toy really so I'll be driving it as I choose and certainly not as a daily-driver.
(Retired fellow here)

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 05-29-2019 at 07:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo lag?