AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-mkii-209/)
-   -   TYRE REPAIR KIT question (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-mkii-209/tyre-repair-kit-question-2962987/)

Eran Levi 11-25-2018 10:56 AM

TYRE REPAIR KIT question

I had a very bad luck and after replacing two front tires I have drove on top of a hole on the road and the right tire lost all its air pressure immediately.
Tomorrow I'll go to the tire workshop again but before that I need to use the TYRE REPAIR KIT to put some air in.
According to the manual, I need to connect the compressor to the sealant can and the sealant can to the tire.
Can I try first to connect the compressor directly to the tire? I'm not sure that there's really cut or puncture.

Thanks

steve111b 11-25-2018 12:17 PM

Try with just air. Once you put in the sealant, I believe the tire cannot be repaired (the sealant ruins the inside) and you have to throw away the tire. Using the sealant is a temporary fix to get you to a service facility. If you use just air you may be able to have the tire repaired.

XMetal00 11-25-2018 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by steve111b (Post 25241005)
Try with just air. Once you put in the sealant, I believe the tire cannot be repaired (the sealant ruins the inside) and you have to throw away the tire. Using the sealant is a temporary fix to get you to a service facility. If you use just air you may be able to have the tire repaired.

Not true. The sealant will NOT ruin the tire. The repair shop will just have to clean up the mess prior to patching if the tire is repairable.

Eran Levi 11-25-2018 09:32 PM

Thanks both.
I have tried without the sealant for a minute or so and nothing happened. I assume the puncture is too big to repair.

Eran Levi 11-26-2018 11:12 AM

Update:
It was a very big puncture. No way to repair using the kit. On top of that, the back tire also got damaged from this pot hole.
I've been towed from my home to the service facility. They replaced both tires.
Damage: 850$

numerobis 11-27-2018 02:07 AM

Don't you have a spare tire? I thought all Audis still come with a spare.

whitby 11-27-2018 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by numerobis (Post 25241643)

Not all. My S3 does have a donut spare but my RS4 had no spare. I don't think any of the RS models have a spare.

Eran Levi 11-27-2018 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by numerobis (Post 25241643)

In my country, all luxury cars (Cars above 80K USD) has no spare tire. Haven't tried to figure that out but I assume that they think that "reach" people will not use the spare tire but will call for assistance? Just an assumption....

numerobis 11-28-2018 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Eran Levi (Post 25241802)
In my country, all luxury cars (Cars above 80K USD) has no spare tire. Haven't tried to figure that out but I assume that they think that "reach" people will not use the spare tire but will call for assistance? Just an assumption....

This is BMW's rationale for having run flats and no spare (Except on special-order-only X1 which can be ordered with a spare and non-run flats). I read somewhere that BMW thinks that changing a spare is not part of the BMW experience. But I guess being stranded in the cold at night waiting for assistance is ok? :)

Eran Levi 11-28-2018 11:20 AM

I prefer to have a spare tire. Doesn't matter how "rich" I am or how cold it is (it doesn't go below 50F here)