Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

TYRE REPAIR KIT question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TYRE REPAIR KIT question

I had a very bad luck and after replacing two front tires I have drove on top of a hole on the road and the right tire lost all its air pressure immediately.
Tomorrow I'll go to the tire workshop again but before that I need to use the TYRE REPAIR KIT to put some air in.
According to the manual, I need to connect the compressor to the sealant can and the sealant can to the tire.
Can I try first to connect the compressor directly to the tire? I'm not sure that there's really cut or puncture.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2018, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try with just air. Once you put in the sealant, I believe the tire cannot be repaired (the sealant ruins the inside) and you have to throw away the tire. Using the sealant is a temporary fix to get you to a service facility. If you use just air you may be able to have the tire repaired.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steve111b
Try with just air. Once you put in the sealant, I believe the tire cannot be repaired (the sealant ruins the inside) and you have to throw away the tire. Using the sealant is a temporary fix to get you to a service facility. If you use just air you may be able to have the tire repaired.
Not true. The sealant will NOT ruin the tire. The repair shop will just have to clean up the mess prior to patching if the tire is repairable.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks both.
I have tried without the sealant for a minute or so and nothing happened. I assume the puncture is too big to repair.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update:
It was a very big puncture. No way to repair using the kit. On top of that, the back tire also got damaged from this pot hole.
I've been towed from my home to the service facility. They replaced both tires.
Damage: 850$
Old 11-27-2018, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't you have a spare tire? I thought all Audis still come with a spare.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by numerobis
Not all. My S3 does have a donut spare but my RS4 had no spare. I don't think any of the RS models have a spare.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by numerobis
In my country, all luxury cars (Cars above 80K USD) has no spare tire. Haven't tried to figure that out but I assume that they think that "reach" people will not use the spare tire but will call for assistance? Just an assumption....
Old 11-28-2018, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eran Levi
In my country, all luxury cars (Cars above 80K USD) has no spare tire. Haven't tried to figure that out but I assume that they think that "reach" people will not use the spare tire but will call for assistance? Just an assumption....
This is BMW's rationale for having run flats and no spare (Except on special-order-only X1 which can be ordered with a spare and non-run flats). I read somewhere that BMW thinks that changing a spare is not part of the BMW experience. But I guess being stranded in the cold at night waiting for assistance is ok?
Old 11-28-2018, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I prefer to have a spare tire. Doesn't matter how "rich" I am or how cold it is (it doesn't go below 50F here)

Quick Reply: TYRE REPAIR KIT question