Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 07-29-2016, 10:26 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Use Siri with MMI SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use Siri with MMI SOLVED

Hey folks I have just found a "workaround" - if you hold down the apple home button to bring up Siri, then when it is active hit the "speak" button on the steering wheel the microphone turns on and will pass whatever you say through to Siri.

The downside is that it will also pass whatever you say through to the MMI speech recognition system. So you have to manually cancel that... but Siri works. Siri speech recognition is so much better for dialling contacts than the MMI, it's quite amazing how poor the Audi software is in comparison, but I guess they are in the market of making vehicles not digital interface systems.

I can only hope that I'll be able to software upgrade the MMI to the Carplay version they are releasing this year ... most likely will have to find a hacked software update to install as my guess is that Audi policy is not to run rolling software upgrades; even though they should! It's a market expectation now for digital interfaces to deploy rolling software upgrades... how do we petition Audi to get with the program!?
Old 11-01-2015, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Italian: Bravo!
UK: Brilliant!
US;
- Boston: Wicked Smart
- DC: Bipartisan Genius
- CA: Dude!

(This also turns AOA's "...this was done for safety reasons" into the BS that we all knew it was.)

Thank man, nice work.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arU4ic

(This also turns AOA's "...this was done for safety reasons" into the BS that we all knew it was.)

Thank man, nice work.
This! My non-nav MMI worked flawlessly with Siri; Nav w/B&O doesn't work with it at all. Anyone think this is a marketing ploy to get people to continue with Connect?
Old 12-05-2015, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Peter Vee
This! My non-nav MMI worked flawlessly with Siri; Nav w/B&O doesn't work with it at all. Anyone think this is a marketing ploy to get people to continue with Connect?
Yeah, it's pretty well-known that Siri is fine with non-nav on this gen MMI. (Again more evidence to the BS of AOA that it's for safety.)
Old 12-28-2015, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good work, but ... I just tried your workaround and one other I found on another thread and yes, they do work. But they really aren't practical or realistic when you are behind the wheel. The only real solution is a Carplay software upgrade from Audi. Perhaps the scandal will soften them up a bit and encourage them to play nicer on this subject. I think there will be pressure on them. Today, I saw two news releases of other auto companies that have announced they will make a software upgrade installing Car Play on their 14 and 15 models.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I hope you are right about a future update. I've got my S3 in for 15K service now and they are telling me that they do not know of a fix yet. I will post if I get any news.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikele
Good work, but ... I just tried your workaround and one other I found on another thread and yes, they do work. But they really aren't practical or realistic when you are behind the wheel. The only real solution is a Carplay software upgrade from Audi. Perhaps the scandal will soften them up a bit and encourage them to play nicer on this subject. I think there will be pressure on them. Today, I saw two news releases of other auto companies that have announced they will make a software upgrade installing Car Play on their 14 and 15 models.
Yes I completely agree with this, is there any way to formally petition Audi on this front?
Old 12-28-2015, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You can call AOA or email them and complain... there's was a big push to contact them on this topic earlier in the year from this forum, I don't recall the thread.

I did and it made me more angry, the AOA rep claimed that it was a safety issue, which we all know is crap. But worth talking to them, curious what spin they are putting on it these days.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I found another workaround: if you have an Apple Watch, you can give it Hey Siri commands and they will work. For example, you can tell it to play an artist and, since the watch's mic isn't "hijacked" by the car's bluetooth, it can hear you and pass the command on to the phone.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I asked about CarPlayand was told this...

Reference #150904148

Dear Mr. Rubinoff,

Thank you for contacting Audi of America. It’s great to speak with you again!

At this time, Apple’s CarPlay has only been confirmed for the 2017 A4 and 2017 Q7. We expect to see this technology incorporated into the remainder of the model lines in coming model cycles, however, it is undetermined if this feature will be implemented into previous model years as a software update. The Audi dealership would be in the best position to advise if any updates come available for that in the future.

While I understand this may not be the answer you anticipated, I do appreciate you allowing me the opportunity to respond to your inquiry. If you have any further questions I can assist with, you may reach me by replying directly to this email.

Best regards,

Christopher Salgot
Digital and Social Media Advocate, Audi CXC

Audi of America, Inc.
Customer Experience
3800 Hamlin Road
Auburn Hills, MI, 48326
United States of America
Tel. +1 800 822 2834
Fax. +1 248 754 6521
mailto:audicare@audi.com
http://www.audiusa.com