Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Pigeon poop

Old 10-13-2018, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pigeon poop

Hi all,

First time poster, excuse the subject wasn’t sure how else to put it. Have an S3 black edition registered mar 18 on a lease.

Seems some bird droppings left for a few hours on the car bonnet combined with the heat has left some damage on a small part of the paintwork on the bonnet. Unfortunately apart from not knowing what to do about it, it happened a day before was heading out on honwymoon

In 25 odd years of having cars never had this problem. Few posts I’ve seen online suggest it may not be covered by a warranty? If so best possible solution?
Old 10-13-2018, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never heard of it being covered by warranty. All bird droppings have some sort of corrosive content (depending on what they eat) that will damage the car's top coat if left on for a long time. It is called etching. The best way to negate the problem is to have a sponge soaked in water and put on top of the droppings as soon as you notice them. This will allow the droppings to be removed easily. Never rub the droppings, because the grit contained in them will scratch the top coat.
Detailers usually polish them out using orbital sanders because the etchings only damages approximately 5 microns of the top coat.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is the fist time in your life a bird has crapped on your car?
Old 10-15-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Peter John
Never heard of it being covered by warranty. All bird droppings have some sort of corrosive content (depending on what they eat) that will damage the car's top coat if left on for a long time. It is called etching. The best way to negate the problem is to have a sponge soaked in water and put on top of the droppings as soon as you notice them. This will allow the droppings to be removed easily. Never rub the droppings, because the grit contained in them will scratch the top coat.
Detailers usually polish them out using orbital sanders because the etchings only damages approximately 5 microns of the top coat.
Thanks for the response, had a few people tell me unfornuately won't be covered by the warranty regardless of age of car. Will try and source a local car detailer to see if he can resolve the damage

@USCRS3 no i've had birds poop many a times. Just never had the problem of not instantly seeing to it leading to paintwork damage.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by USCRS3
This is the fist time in your life a bird has crapped on your car?
My question too - etching is common this way, particularly noticeable with black.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Logically, there is no reason for this issue to be covered under warranty, would you expect a paint chip to be a warranty issue? It's just normal wear and tear. Any good detailer should be able to mitigate the damage. I would suggest not using the dealer since they will simply sub it out and make a profit. Don't make yourself crazy, it's an easy fix.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by michael818
Logically, there is no reason for this issue to be covered under warranty, would you expect a paint chip to be a warranty issue? It's just normal wear and tear. Any good detailer should be able to mitigate the damage. I would suggest not using the dealer since they will simply sub it out and make a profit. Don't make yourself crazy, it's an easy fix.
Thanks for the reply. Definately not making myself crazy over something so trivial in the context of life. No I wouldn't expect a paint chip to be covered under warranty, as stated before in 25 years of owning cars never had to give thought to damage a pigeon can leave on a new cars paintwork so was seeking advice which has kindly been given.