Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Wrapped my RS3 in Xpel Ultimate Plus (and small warning)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh I see, you literally meant the headlights from the Euro models. Yea, that's a lot of money for removing the reflector. Even with the matrix lights and the ability to use the dynamic turn signal in the front like in the back, I couldn't justify the cost. I'd rather find a refurb or used version.

I wonder if state inspections (which we do here in TX) have to check turn signals for this sort of thing...
Old 01-18-2019, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my RS3 wrapped as well. But only the entire front end forward of the doors, A pillars, B pillars, rocker panels and truck open area. Installer included door edges and cup behind door handles. Did similar on my former S3. When I sold the car May 2018, it looked like new. No chips, dings, nothing. Worth the effort and money if you expect to keep the car for a long period. Love my RS3 and expect to be in it for 8 to 10 years. Famous last words, I know. LOL

My installer mentioned the hood crease line issue as well. Was the same as on my S3. Difficult to do correctly. May have my hood readjusted in the spring as some air bubbles are still showing a bit.

Red with BO does look great. Was my second choice. Feel in love with Nardo Grey however. With the BO of course. Have gloss black OZ Racing wheels on the car now as well. Again, clear wrap is a great but not cheap cosmetic option for your car.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wanted to post an update after speaking to my installer. It turns out my dealer put some sort of sealant on the car. This is why it took eight tries on the hood before the installer wanted to see if I'm ok with it before trying a ninth time. Also, part of the roof film came off, probably due to the same thing.

My installer at Xpel is researching the specific sealant to see how it needs to be removed before redoing anything. Gotta love those forced dealer add-ons. Good thing you can return them for a refund.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:35 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Raidin
I wanted to post an update after speaking to my installer. It turns out my dealer put some sort of sealant on the car. This is why it took eight tries on the hood before the installer wanted to see if I'm ok with it before trying a ninth time. Also, part of the roof film came off, probably due to the same thing.

My installer at Xpel is researching the specific sealant to see how it needs to be removed before redoing anything. Gotta love those forced dealer add-ons. Good thing you can return them for a refund.
Raidin,

When I say the following I'm not picking on your installer as I don't even know who that is.
I'm just chatting with you and I hope you take what I say as just me sharing my thoughts.
I worked at new car dealerships for like 20 years before I retired back in 2008.
And I have been into the car thing since the mid 60's and had all different brands over those years.
So in my case I do have a lot of experience.
So ..............
If the selling dealer did in-fact apply some (Sealant) to the Audi it would have been noted in the cost for sure as nothing a dealer does is (Usually) FREE.
That being said your Xpel installer if in-fact a (Certified) installer he or they should have IMO buddy picked-up on that Audi having some sort of dealer installed sealer.
Or if they even suspected that ???
They would have simply asked you if the Audi had a Sealant applied ???
All I'm saying to you as one car guy to another is you might have possibly picked the wrong installer, maybe.
If it was my New Audi and the installer had tried/attempted 8-Separate times to do the Expel I think before all those attempts I would have asked for a (Refund) and found a different Company to do my work.
(I do know there would not be a Ninth (9th) attempt under any circumstances)

I hope things get worked out to your satisfaction and that really is all that counts.

Terry

Old 01-20-2019, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Believe me, Terry, I completely understand where you're coming from.

Xpel doesn't ask about things like that. I think the reason is that 95% of their work is dealer work. They get Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, McLarens, all sent to them by the dealer on behalf of customers who want the full coverage protection of their film.

Also, The best two films on the market to my knowledge through the research I did long ago are Suntek and Xpel. The installer I use is Xpel's own Houston office. These are the guys that make the film, they're the best you'll find in Houston.

I do plan to tell them that they should always give customers a questionnaire that asks about things like this, but they did warn me this car specifically rejects film on the hood. This is why it didn't raise any red flags when they ran into so much trouble.

Now as far as my Audi dealer is concerned, they did charge me for two services by force (something Sonic dealers do apparently) that I cancelled afterwards. At the time I purchased the car, they made it sound like it was some sort of insurance. I didn't realize it was a paint sealant brand that they actually put on the car already. My salesman drove the car from the port the day I bought it so it never entered my mind anything was done to it. Must be a port-installed thing.

Regardless, Xpel has excellent warranty service and so I am not worried at all. They will redo the film as many times as needed (and they do a great job, believe me, they do it every day and did so on my other car), but yes, some cars are more problematic than others.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:13 AM

Believe me, Terry, I completely understand where you're coming from.

Xpel doesn't ask about things like that. I think the reason is that 95% of their work is dealer work. They get Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, McLarens, all sent to them by the dealer on behalf of customers who want the full coverage protection of their film.

Also, The best two films on the market to my knowledge through the research I did long ago are Suntek and Xpel. The installer I use is Xpel's own Houston office. These are the guys that make the film, they're the best you'll find in Houston.

I do plan to tell them that they should always give customers a questionnaire that asks about things like this, but they did warn me this car specifically rejects film on the hood. This is why it didn't raise any red flags when they ran into so much trouble.

Now as far as my Audi dealer is concerned, they did charge me for two services by force (something Sonic dealers do apparently) that I cancelled afterwards. At the time I purchased the car, they made it sound like it was some sort of insurance. I didn't realize it was a paint sealant brand that they actually put on the car already. My salesman drove the car from the port the day I bought it so it never entered my mind anything was done to it. Must be a port-installed thing.

Regardless, Xpel has excellent warranty service and so I am not worried at all. They will redo the film as many times as needed (and they do a great job, believe me, they do it every day and did so on my other car), but yes, some cars are more problematic than others.
I hope in the end your Audi looks exactly as it should after the wrap is completed buddy.

Terry
Old 01-20-2019, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, Terry! It does! The pictures I posted are all post-film. You can't see it has film at all unless you find the film edges where they can't wrap around panels.

I will take more pictures and post them at some point!
Old 02-01-2019, 07:37 AM

Thanks, Terry! It does! The pictures I posted are all post-film. You can't see it has film at all unless you find the film edges where they can't wrap around panels.

I will take more pictures and post them at some point!

@Raidin,

Hey buddy don't leave us RS3 wanna be owners out of the completed pictures.

Also, did everything actually turn-out 100% to (Your) satisfaction

Terry
Old 02-01-2019, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
@Raidin,

Hey buddy don't leave us RS3 wanna be owners out of the completed pictures.

Also, did everything actually turn-out 100% to (Your) satisfaction

Terry
I'm sorry, it takes a long time for me to do anything. I have near 0 spare time these days, I work 60 hours a week, 6 days. Working on pictures and the review.

As far as the film, I'm happy with everything so far. I will be taking the car back to them the week of the 11th to get the roof redone. These guys will redo whatever isn't perfect as many times as they have to. They always encourage me to bring the car in if I have the slightest issue. Warranty work for them is no issue, that's one of my favorite things about Xpel.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:10 AM

I'm sorry, it takes a long time for me to do anything. I have near 0 spare time these days, I work 60 hours a week, 6 days. Working on pictures and the review.

As far as the film, I'm happy with everything so far. I will be taking the car back to them the week of the 11th to get the roof redone. These guys will redo whatever isn't perfect as many times as they have to. They always encourage me to bring the car in if I have the slightest issue. Warranty work for them is no issue, that's one of my favorite things about Xpel.
Have a relaxed weekend and as you have the time post up buddy.

When I was working I also did the 6-day work week and in my case sometimes that actually exceeded 30 hours plus.
I worked so many hours I had to actually mow the 1-acre lawn in the evening after getting home.
And it was not my choice working those longggggggggg hours it was necessary and not an option.

Terry

Quick Reply: Wrapped my RS3 in Xpel Ultimate Plus (and small warning)