Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Yet another RS3 tire question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yet another RS3 tire question...

Has anyone thought to just use the 235/35/19 tire all the way around even with the fronts being 8.5"w and the rears being 8"w? I have been studying a square setup & was planning to do the Neuspeed RSe102, which is 8.5" wide. I then see their recommended tire is the 235/35/19. Then we could do an actual tire rotation with all season tires. Is there some adverse effect (with daily driving) to have the same tires all the way around even with the half inch width difference in the factory fronts to back? I'd imagine there might be a slight visual difference, maybe? Also, didn't know if the different offsets (46mm in fr & 42 mm in rear) but same tire size would mess with the electronics of the car. I need new tires right now & am not finding any wheel below $500 ea that I am truly in love with.

Last edited by EXELR8; 07-16-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

According to the calculator on the wheel-size.com/calc website, there's virtually no difference mounting 235/35R19 tires on either 8 or 8-1/2" wide rims (see attachment).

Section width, overall diameter, circumference, Revs/mile and speedo error are all listed as identical for the two wheel widths with the same size tire mounted. According to some of the tire websites I checked out (when buying my winter wheel/tire package for my S3) there may be a difference in the "rolling circumference" but it should be small considering there are no differences reported by the calculator.

FYI - I got the offsets from another thread that said the RS3 staggered setup is 46mm front (19"x8.5") and 42mm rear (19"x8"). The fender, wheel well and suspension clearances are arbitrary as I don't have an RS3 to measure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
wheel1=235-35-19X8.pdf (175.1 KB, 101 views)
Old 07-16-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FlorS3
According to the calculator on the wheel-size.com/calc website, there's virtually no difference mounting 235/35R19 tires on either 8 or 8-1/2" wide rims (see attachment).

Section width, overall diameter, circumference, Revs/mile and speedo error are all listed as identical for the two wheel widths with the same size tire mounted. According to some of the tire websites I checked out (when buying my winter wheel/tire package for my S3) there may be a difference in the "rolling circumference" but it should be small considering there are no differences reported by the calculator.

FYI - I got the offsets from another thread that said the RS3 staggered setup is 46mm front (19"x8.5") and 42mm rear (19"x8"). The fender, wheel well and suspension clearances are arbitrary as I don't have an RS3 to measure.
Thank you sir! That is great info!!
Old 07-16-2018, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Just for fun I used the calculator using the RS3 staggered setup data (Front: 255/30R19 ET46 on 19x8.5 rims | Rear: 235/35R19 ET42 on 19x8 rims)

See attached. The calculator shows ~1.8% difference in overall diameter, circumference, revs/mile and speedo error between front and rear whees/tires. Apparently the Quattro (Haldex) AWD system can handle the difference? Or perhaps the calculator is wrong?

~2% seems significant - I've had AWD cars (e.g. Subaru) that recommend replacing all four worn tires, when one fails, to minimize drivetrain wear.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
wheel1=255-30-19X8.pdf (174.5 KB, 91 views)
Old 07-16-2018, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just for fun I used the calculator using the RS3 staggered setup data (Front: 255/30R19 ET46 on 19x8.5 rims | Rear: 235/35R19 ET42 on 19x8 rims)

See attached. The calculator shows ~1.8% difference in overall diameter, circumference, revs/mile and speedo error between front and rear whees/tires. Apparently the Quattro (Haldex) AWD system can handle the difference? Or perhaps the calculator is wrong?

~2% seems significant - I've had AWD cars (e.g. Subaru) that recommend replacing all four worn tires, when one fails, to minimize drivetrain wear.
So if I understand what the calculator is stating, the stock staggered offset is actually more irregular with all aspects than my initial questioned configuration, correct?

Last edited by EXELR8; 07-16-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EXELR8: I was actually thinking along the same lines some time ago but never investigated thoroughly however. Glad you looked into it. And I also love the Neuspeed RSe102 wheels! Top of my list for possible replacement wheels over the OEMs. I do not need tires at this time but I live in Ohio and know I'll need some winters/all-seasons a few months down the road. What you say makes very good sense. The offset difference between the OEM staggered setup fronts and rears is only 4 mm. (46 - 42 mm). I think it would be very smart to mount 235s all around and be able to rotate at least front to back on each side. Definitely keep the same width wheel opposite each other obviously but your idea could work very well.

I was also looking at the Neuspeed RSe102 wheels with some Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Ultra High Permance All Season in 235/35/19. Lord that tire name is long!! But with the cost of the wheel, tire, AND I need the more accurate Audi TPMS sensor for my Dynamic Plus, it's going to cost a good chunk of money. Also called Audi today to ask what the price was on each RS3 Blade (BO) wheel thinking I would just buy 2 to match the rear wheel specs and have 4 identical wheels in the end. Each wheel is about $770. Ouch. Be cheaper to buy a set of the 4 Neuspeeds!

I don't see anything wrong with your idea however. The 8.5 inch wheel would work fine with a 235 width tire and it seems the wheels are pretty close except for the .5 inch width variance. I am not an expert and do not work in a wheel/tire shop but it seems logical from my point of view. Good thinking.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:24 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Yes, that is what the calculator is saying. It seems hard to imagine that Audi would set up the car that way if it might cause additional drivetrain wear. I can only conclude that Audi is not concerned with the difference or the calculator is not accurate
Old 07-17-2018, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, that is what the calculator is saying. It seems hard to imagine that Audi would set up the car that way if it might cause additional drivetrain wear. I can only conclude that Audi is not concerned with the difference or the calculator is not accurate
+1 Definitely makes you want to go .... Hmmm.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
EXELR8: I was actually thinking along the same lines some time ago but never investigated thoroughly however. Glad you looked into it. And I also love the Neuspeed RSe102 wheels! Top of my list for possible replacement wheels over the OEMs. I do not need tires at this time but I live in Ohio and know I'll need some winters/all-seasons a few months down the road. What you say makes very good sense. The offset difference between the OEM staggered setup fronts and rears is only 4 mm. (46 - 42 mm). I think it would be very smart to mount 235s all around and be able to rotate at least front to back on each side. Definitely keep the same width wheel opposite each other obviously but your idea could work very well.

I was also looking at the Neuspeed RSe102 wheels with some Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Ultra High Permance All Season in 235/35/19. Lord that tire name is long!! But with the cost of the wheel, tire, AND I need the more accurate Audi TPMS sensor for my Dynamic Plus, it's going to cost a good chunk of money. Also called Audi today to ask what the price was on each RS3 Blade (BO) wheel thinking I would just buy 2 to match the rear wheel specs and have 4 identical wheels in the end. Each wheel is about $770. Ouch. Be cheaper to buy a set of the 4 Neuspeeds!

I don't see anything wrong with your idea however. The 8.5 inch wheel would work fine with a 235 width tire and it seems the wheels are pretty close except for the .5 inch width variance. I am not an expert and do not work in a wheel/tire shop but it seems logical from my point of view. Good thinking.
Our brains are thinking alike! I too looked into just 2 new OEM 'Blade' wheels & came to the same conclusion. That Conti Extreme DWS is the exact tire that I've settled on as well. It's specs state wheel width of 8"-9.5" so it'll be good in that regard.
There was a set of Black Optic, staggered wheels that sold on eBay a month ago for $1000. I wish I would've been doing my research back then as it would've been a great alternative.

Last edited by EXELR8; 07-17-2018 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Today I had the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Ultra High Performance All Season 235/35/19 installed on my staggered wheels (all four). Will keep everyone posted as to how it all plays out :-)

Last edited by EXELR8; 07-20-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Yet another RS3 tire question...