Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Yet another RS3 tire question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EXELR8
Today I had the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 Ultra High Performance All Season 235/35/19 installed on my staggered wheels (all four). Will keep everyone posted as to how it all plays out :-)
Will look forward to your experience with the Conti DWS06 AS tires. I am thinking of going this way in a couple of months.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EXELR8: I think you made a good conclusion overall. I do not see any issue with your logic am confident that I will be doing the same very soon. I truly look forward to reading your review on your tire choice!!!
Old 07-23-2018, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
EXELR8: I think you made a good conclusion overall. I do not see any issue with your logic am confident that I will be doing the same very soon. I truly look forward to reading your review on your tire choice!!!
FWIW, I have now put 400 miles on the new tires. Just dry weather no rain). All is good thus far. They are not quite as "go-kart connected" to the road as the OEM Pirelli's. But they are still really really nice. Very smooth & they stick really well. Just not quite as glued to the road as the Pirellis. This is the first car that I've owned with dedicated summer tires. So I'm sure the difference I'm feeling is between all-season & summer compounds.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

FWIW, I have now put 400 miles on the new tires. Just dry weather no rain). All is good thus far. They are not quite as "go-kart connected" to the road as the OEM Pirelli's. But they are still really really nice. Very smooth & they stick really well. Just not quite as glued to the road as the Pirellis. This is the first car that I've owned with dedicated summer tires. So I'm sure the difference I'm feeling is between all-season & summer compounds.
I'm sure it is as well. What I was wondering is ... are you noticing any differences in road noise? I am ASSUMING the Continentals do NOT have the foam inside of them like the OEM Pirelli's (is that a good assumption?).

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by russbert
I'm sure it is as well. What I was wondering is ... are you noticing any differences in road noise? I am ASSUMING the Continentals do NOT have the foam inside of them like the OEM Pirelli's (is that a good assumption?).

Thanks.
You are correct. The Contis do not have the foam inside. To my ears there is zero road noise difference between the OEMs & the Contis. I too was very curious if this was going to be an issue. But it is not. :-)
Old 07-24-2018, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You are correct. The Contis do not have the foam inside. To my ears there is zero road noise difference between the OEMs & the Contis. I too was very curious if this was going to be an issue. But it is not. :-)
Thanks and keep the periodic updates coming.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know nothing about the Haldex, but I do know the ATTESA on my GTR can get rather unhappy if it detects significant difference in revolutions per mile (circumference).
If I owned an RS3 (currently scoping it :-) I'd be super careful to be at the exact same revolutions per mile figure.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zebekias
I know nothing about the Haldex, but I do know the ATTESA on my GTR can get rather unhappy if it detects significant difference in revolutions per mile (circumference).
If I owned an RS3 (currently scoping it :-) I'd be super careful to be at the exact same revolutions per mile figure.
True, but see the attachments that FlorS3 attached earlier in this post which addresses your concerns. The circumference of what I've done is the same as the standard square setup. I would like to think that if there was something awry, the car would throw an error message or be detected with VAG-COM. So far so good. I drive 23,000-25,000 per year, so time will tell...
Old 07-24-2018, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

True, but see the attachments that FlorS3 attached earlier in this post which addresses your concerns. The circumference of what I've done is the same as the standard square setup. I would like to think that if there was something awry, the car would throw an error message or be detected with VAG-COM. So far so good. I drive 23,000-25,000 per year, so time will tell...
FYI - I did a google search on "can haldex systems work with different circumference front to rear" and found the following info on the VW Vortex website - apparently Haldex can handle up to a 4% difference in circumference (info is a bit old but I would guess it should apply to the current Haldex systems). See the email and links below.

From the first link
----------------------
Haldex wrote:
Hi Franz,
Yes, we do compensate for tiresizes up to 4%. This since we read the wheelspeed and the driveshaft and can understand if you have a minispare, weared down tires or different sizes.
Best Regards,
Mats Johansson
Haldex Traction AB Detroit
-----Original Message-----
To: web@haldex-traction.net
Sent: 11/27/2004 4:29 PM
Subject: Haldex Online Message
que: Does the Haldex System compensate for different wheel diameter between fron and rear?
I am looking to run a staggered setup on my VWR32 and want to know if I have to run 100% equal or if i can use slight diameter differences
Thank you very much.
Franz Schmitt
Brookfield, WI
--------------------

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3856751-Adverse-Effects-from-running-different-tire-sizes-(ver.-Haldex
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...taggered-setup

Last edited by FlorS3; 07-24-2018 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-25-2018, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the update EXELR8! That is good news. Very confident I will be doing that same as you now. Will wait until November or so when the cold temps turn the summer only tires to crap however. I was aware that the all seasons, despite being high performance, are never as sticky as good dedicated summer tires. I bet you'll be happier in the long run. Using the OEM wheels saves a ton of money. Something I may consider in the future however. Getting ready to bring my car in for clear bra and paint protection treatment. THAT is very expensive but worth it to me and best done when the car is new. Hence, new wheels are moved down the mod list. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Yet another RS3 tire question...