Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

To longtime FSD owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To longtime FSD owners

Been a while since I've been on this forum but I was hoping to get some free advice anyway. I have FSD+Neuspeed setup, cut bumpstop, neuspeed RSB. Ever since i installed my suspension i've been somewhat dissatisfied. Combo was more comfortable than stock sline suspension, but on large bumps (like dips and heaves not potholes) the suspension gets bouncy. Vertical travel of car seems like shocks? not damping enough (occasionally even feels like it bottoms) and then the car bounces a few times afterward.

So, do i blame the springs or the shocks? i don't want harsh but if i need diff shocks does anyone have suggestion for shocks or coilovers that give a good damped feel but maintain some comfort?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UncleNoName
Been a while since I've been on this forum but I was hoping to get some free advice anyway. I have FSD+Neuspeed setup, cut bumpstop, neuspeed RSB. Ever since i installed my suspension i've been somewhat dissatisfied. Combo was more comfortable than stock sline suspension, but on large bumps (like dips and heaves not potholes) the suspension gets bouncy. Vertical travel of car seems like shocks? not damping enough (occasionally even feels like it bottoms) and then the car bounces a few times afterward.

So, do i blame the springs or the shocks? i don't want harsh but if i need diff shocks does anyone have suggestion for shocks or coilovers that give a good damped feel but maintain some comfort?
Same thing here since I replaced my sport susp with FSD+Eibach combo at 20K (76K) now. While more comfortable the stock it's way too bouncy. Thinking of replacing Eibach springs with stock sport springs as I don't like the drop in front anyway, too low
Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

You could be in a no win situation.

When the springs are shortened with these aftermarket springs, they have to be stiffened up. When they are stiffened up, they might rebound too strong for the FSD to control, resulting in more bounce before the FSD dampens them.

Maybe you have to find a shortened spring that has the same spring force rate as OEM springs.

Cars like the McLaren F1 and Lamborghini Gallardo uses FSD, but they were tuned specifically for those cars' springs.

Maybe experimenting with a set of FSD made for heavier vehicles would help?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LWNY
You could be in a no win situation.
Cars like the McLaren F1 and Lamborghini Gallardo uses FSD, but they were tuned specifically for those cars' springs.

Maybe experimenting with a set of FSD made for heavier vehicles would help?
Interesting, thanks. Springs were sold as a set with shocks but that doesn't mean they were matched i guess.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does your car have excessive body roll during cornering or when you swerve the car side to side? If it does, then the FSDs are not working as they are intended. If the rolls are minimized, then they are doing what they are suppose to do.

Could the progressive springs also contribute to the problem? The small bumps are bypassed by the FSDs, but when the bumps gets too big, maybe the soft part of the spring does minimal damping and gets fully compressed easily causing the very short stiff part of the spring to do extra absorption and extra hard rebound.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm, perhaps. FSD was offered in a kit with eibachs, which i *believe* were linear springs. I've seen some posts by owners of that kit who complained of the same symptom (poor handling of large dips/bumps).

I've read others who have done FSD+OEM sport or OEM non-sport springs and seemed happy. I don't know what type of springs these are.

IF OEM uses linear and Eibachs are in fact progressive, you may be onto something here...
Old 12-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My FSDs with OEM Sport springs have become distinctly bouncy after 27,000 miles. They were fine for the first 20K , maybe a little bit under-damped in front on certain large bumps, but that behavior has worsened considerably since then, and now the rears seem to be getting soft, too.

I am strongly considering something different struts and shocks, despite the warranty coverage for the FSDs (installation would still be my responsibility).

Anybody have experience with Bilstein HD's and OEM Sport springs in an A3?