Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

AUX in mod has no sound output on right channel

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUX in mod has no sound output on right channel

I just did the aux in mod on my 2006 A3 with RNS-E with Navigation, SAT, Phone and I have an issue with it.
What I did :
Recoded VAG in the RADIO coding to show xxxxx6x for AUX and SAT radio. Should I have used the AUX only option which is xxxxx5x ?
Hooked up my 32 pin connector which has Left audio to pin 22, right audio to pin 6 and ground to pin 21 to a radio shack 3.5mm audio jack, RS part number 274-0249.
The head unit recognises AUX in and now displays it as a source option.
When I connect a source to it (ipod) using a 3.5mm audio cable I get sound to front and rear but only on the left side. If I use the fader to the right there's no sound at all.
The 32 pin connector is a new addition to my setup, for this purpose only. Before adding the AUX in there was no connector on the head unit, just the socket with the pins.
Questions.....
I read somewhere that I might have to recode VAG under the Navigation coding, thoughts anyone ?
Could I have a fried pin 6 in the head unit which supplies right channel audio from the 32 pin connector?
Faulty audio jack ? How could I test it ?

Sorry, bit of a noob when it comes to electronics, I know my way around a bit but this has me stumped. I've re-soldered all my joints, tested continuity from the pins on the back of the audio jack to the pins on the 32 pin connector so I know my soldering is ok...I don't know what else to try.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mandinca
I just did the aux in mod on my 2006 A3 with RNS-E with Navigation, SAT, Phone and I have an issue with it.
What I did :
Recoded VAG in the RADIO coding to show xxxxx6x for AUX and SAT radio. Should I have used the AUX only option which is xxxxx5x ?
Hooked up my 32 pin connector which has Left audio to pin 22, right audio to pin 6 and ground to pin 21 to a radio shack 3.5mm audio jack, RS part number 274-0249.
The head unit recognises AUX in and now displays it as a source option.
When I connect a source to it (ipod) using a 3.5mm audio cable I get sound to front and rear but only on the left side. If I use the fader to the right there's no sound at all.
The 32 pin connector is a new addition to my setup, for this purpose only. Before adding the AUX in there was no connector on the head unit, just the socket with the pins.
Questions.....
I read somewhere that I might have to recode VAG under the Navigation coding, thoughts anyone ?
Could I have a fried pin 6 in the head unit which supplies right channel audio from the 32 pin connector?
Faulty audio jack ? How could I test it ?

Sorry, bit of a noob when it comes to electronics, I know my way around a bit but this has me stumped. I've re-soldered all my joints, tested continuity from the pins on the back of the audio jack to the pins on the 32 pin connector so I know my soldering is ok...I don't know what else to try.
I can see that my code ended up with being 5.

Audi A3 - Retrofit
Old 03-06-2017, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, feel a bit stupid but I found out what the problem was.
When I was pushing the 32 pin connector onto the back of the head unit, one of the pins in the headunit that connects to the right channel in the connector, instead of just sliding into the hole in the connector, it was actually pushing the wire out of the connector so not making a proper connection. I couldn't see it in the darkness and even with a good light it wasn't obvious. Once I noticed it I was able to make sure the pin seated properly in the connector....fixed.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mandinca
So, feel a bit stupid but I found out what the problem was.
When I was pushing the 32 pin connector onto the back of the head unit, one of the pins in the headunit that connects to the right channel in the connector, instead of just sliding into the hole in the connector, it was actually pushing the wire out of the connector so not making a proper connection. I couldn't see it in the darkness and even with a good light it wasn't obvious. Once I noticed it I was able to make sure the pin seated properly in the connector....fixed.
Great news
Old 04-20-2017, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey I have a 2006 Audi A6 and was looking for a Aux mod for my iPhone 6 Plus.. would this mod work on my car? Any more Info? Thanks
Old 04-20-2017, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by erik83c
Hey I have a 2006 Audi A6 and was looking for a Aux mod for my iPhone 6 Plus.. would this mod work on my car? Any more Info? Thanks
Yes it would. You'll need the VAG COM software and cable unless AUX IN is already enabled on your head unit. I had to enable mine using the VAG COM. There are instructions on how to do this somewhere, I can't remember which module you alter but it only takes 2 minutes.

Parts - 3.5mm aux in socket and some wire, keys to remove the head unit, soldering iron etc.

Not including my "duh" moment the whole mod took me about an hour.