Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Creak/rattle in panorama sunroof/headliner area

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creak/rattle in panorama sunroof/headliner area

I have a REALLY annoying creak in the headliner area. It's right behind the front sunroof in the headliner. If I press on the headliner it goes away, so I'm guessing it's something loose on the headline?

It exists whether or not the sunroof is open/closed/tilted, so likely not the sunroof itself. At least not the front one.

Anyone have this issue? How difficult is it to remove the headliner? Could find any tutorials specific to this car.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I also had this problem. Luckily mine was still under warranty so I brought it to the dealer. They had it for at least three days and said the factory forgot to put a piece of felt in there someplace during assembly. Not sure where the felt piece was left out exactly but the noise is gone now.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

it's an easy fix...clean and then spray dry lube on the rubber seal under the glass panel. My car is dead silent..no pops, creaks or rattles.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Two different lubes to do the job, there is a procedure in the manual for this maintenence. Mine is quiet now also, jimellisaudi has the correct vw grease and rubber lube
Old 11-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by smooth 1
it's an easy fix...clean and then spray dry lube on the rubber seal under the glass panel. My car is dead silent..no pops, creaks or rattles.
But the noise isn't coming from the sunroof? It's definitely the headliner. Opening and closing the sunroof makes no difference. I sprayed dry lube on the seals when I got the car and it did nothing.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by swags
I also had this problem. Luckily mine was still under warranty so I brought it to the dealer. They had it for at least three days and said the factory forgot to put a piece of felt in there someplace during assembly. Not sure where the felt piece was left out exactly but the noise is gone now.
That sounds more like what this could be.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mkiv808
But the noise isn't coming from the sunroof? It's definitely the headliner. Opening and closing the sunroof makes no difference. I sprayed dry lube on the seals when I got the car and it did nothing.
YEah...I used a product called Jig-a-loo. I pushed the red pipe tip between the headliner and the car, sprayed it as deep as I could. Then I gave it a few hours to dry and set up. I haven't heard a single noise since.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by smooth 1
YEah...I used a product called Jig-a-loo. I pushed the red pipe tip between the headliner and the car, sprayed it as deep as I could. Then I gave it a few hours to dry and set up. I haven't heard a single noise since.
Interesting. Will try.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default headliner

I'm having a different problem but would also love to find a tutorial on taking down the headliner on a 2010 or new A4.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mkiv808
I have a REALLY annoying creak in the headliner area. It's right behind the front sunroof in the headliner. If I press on the headliner it goes away, so I'm guessing it's something loose on the headline?
I just removed the headliner in my b6 s4. While the headliner was off I wanted to check that the drain holes were not plugged so I reached into the rain runoff trays on both sides of the car and found two clips, one in each tray, not attached to anything. It turns out there are two sliders that move along the rail of the runoff tray and the sunroof had one pin on each side that attaches to that slider. The clips that I found sitting in the tray had become detached from the slider and the sunroof. Once I reattached the clips to the sliders and the sunroof to those clips, my rattling noise stopped.
There is a superb write-up on how to remove the headliner on this forum (titled "Headliner removal with pics...warning...very long!!!" posted by "Boston Driver"). I followed it and it took roughly 1.5hrs to remover headliner and another 2+ to put it back together.
Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by duncanto; 12-25-2015 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Added forum location

Quick Reply: Creak/rattle in panorama sunroof/headliner area