Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Having Trouble finding the Audi I want

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having Trouble finding the Audi I want

I want a 2009-2012 Audi A3 Quattro hatchback in silver(maybe white) with under 75,000 miles.

I am in the Pacific Northwest and I was willing to travel pretty far to find one and no luck. There was one on craigslist for $15,000 in Colorado but it has sold. East Coast is a bit too far.

New to the Audi scene. Quattro is a must because of where I live. Is this model in particular rare or is this model so good that the people that buy them keep them and don't want to sell them?

When I started my journey I didn't think they'd be this hard to find. If I wanted a 2015+ Audi A3 Quattro sedan, there's PLENTY to choose from with under 25k miles and slightly under $20k.

This is exactly what I want

Last edited by FNH5-7; 07-07-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Audi abandoned the all combustion engine A3 5 door--you can only get it as a hybrid. Even still, it doesn't seem to be selling all that well. The Q3 and Q5 are very popular, satisfying the flexibility needs of a wagon with cross-over capability.

The original all combustion A3 5-door appealed to a niche demographic. I'm one of them. This car design totally speaks to me on so many levels. Sure, it's not perfect. There are a number of things I'd like to change about it. But anything else approaching what I want demands a new car that's infinitely more expensive. Some people have gone out of their way to stop me and comment (positively) on my A3. One guy even offered to buy it. But, I've seen some pretty low prices on my local Craigslist, dependent upon condition and options.

I would think that California would be a great place to find older A3's. I'd check AutoTrader and others, not just Craigslist.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check EBay, cars.com, AutoTrader, etc.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think you are right, I got my 2008 A3 SLine Quattro 3.2 with just under 70k about 3 years ago. I don't know how I would part with it. I'm having trouble finding information on it and I've been searching for a while. So, I'm guessing they became more rare. I'll tell you though, mine has over 100k now and still runs great.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by absoluTT A3
Audi abandoned the all combustion engine A3 5 door--you can only get it as a hybrid. Even still, it doesn't seem to be selling all that well. The Q3 and Q5 are very popular, satisfying the flexibility needs of a wagon with cross-over capability.

The original all combustion A3 5-door appealed to a niche demographic. I'm one of them. This car design totally speaks to me on so many levels. Sure, it's not perfect. There are a number of things I'd like to change about it. But anything else approaching what I want demands a new car that's infinitely more expensive. Some people have gone out of their way to stop me and comment (positively) on my A3. One guy even offered to buy it. But, I've seen some pretty low prices on my local Craigslist, dependent upon condition and options.

I would think that California would be a great place to find older A3's. I'd check AutoTrader and others, not just Craigslist.
I find several with high miles, not very many with under 5pk miles here locally or anywhere in the west coast. The ones under 55k miles that I have found are close to the $20k dollar range, while the ones 85k miles+ are under $10k and don't sell.

I've literally been checking everywhere.

craigslist
autotrader
edmunds
cars
cargurus

and have had no luck so far. Earlier in July there were 2 A3's with 13k miles. One was a 2013 the other a 2012, on in CA the other in Ohio. Both priced at $19,000. They sold before I could get to them.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FNH5-7
I find several with high miles, not very many with under 5pk miles here locally or anywhere in the west coast. The ones under 55k miles that I have found are close to the $20k dollar range, while the ones 85k miles+ are under $10k and don't sell.

I've literally been checking everywhere.

craigslist
autotrader
edmunds
cars
cargurus

and have had no luck so far. Earlier in July there were 2 A3's with 13k miles. One was a 2013 the other a 2012, on in CA the other in Ohio. Both priced at $19,000. They sold before I could get to them.
Do you absolutely need quattro? I've driven my FWD in snow and it was just fine for urban snow conditions. Need snow tires, though, for serious snow.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Close by in Vancouver is a white 2011 A3 2.0T quattro with 60k miles asking $16k and it has roof rails!
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo.../2011-audi-a3/

This 2011 A3 2.0T quattro with 47k miles, priced at $16k, is over in Colorado, but it's black.

A silver 2011 A3 2.0T quattro is out there in Virginia, but has 90k miles. $11k asking price.

Last edited by absoluTT A3; 08-09-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea, I really need quattro.

Thanks for the links. You're right, it appears that these either have high miles and low price, or low miles and high price. I really regret not picking one up last month.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FNH5-7
Yea, I really need quattro.

Thanks for the links. You're right, it appears that these either have high miles and low price, or low miles and high price. I really regret not picking one up last month.
You're welcome. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and pay a premium to get what you want. Forget about the regret on timing, because all you have to work with is here/now. If you're set OK with your current car and can wait, then it may be worth looking around more for something a little more to your liking to appear. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2018, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Right now there's one with 16k miles for 21k. Think I kay go with that one. Unfortunately it's at a no haggle dealership. So 21k is 21k.

Quick Reply: Having Trouble finding the Audi I want