Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Leak from a hose at front of engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak from a hose at front of engine?

Hey everyone! Quick question regarding a leak that popped up recently.

I just noticed a few drops on my drive way when I pulled out the other day, for reference I have a 2011 A3 with 111k miles on it now. The leak I don't think is oil as it didn't seem to leave a stain like oil generally does. But I'm not really sure where or what its coming from. None of my levels seem to be dropping, although my coolant may be on the lower side.
I did an oil change today and decided to take off the bottom splash guard to get a better look and seem to have found where its coming from. I think it's a coolant hose as it seems to come off the radiator. I've taken a few pictures the best that I can in hopes someone else has had this problem or can point me in the right direction.
I'm not 100% sure if its this hose clamp or a hose next to it that also looks a little wet. Is the large hose a coolant hose? Thanks in advance! If the pictures aren't clear enough I can try to take better ones or give some more info.

Here is the view from the top of the engine, its the large hose in the middle, it is right behind the radiator fans.

This is from the bottom looking up, you can see the drips down this hose that look to be coming from that clamp,.

Here is a close up of the clamp looking up from under the car, this seems to be where its coming from. Is this a coolant hose?
Old 07-15-2018, 04:32 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

That's one of the hoses that goes from the turbo to the intercoolers. Just tighten the hose clamps if you can, it will stop weeping oil out. Also, yes, it's normal for a bit of oil to be in the boost hoses. the PCV/crank breather rebreathes through the turbo intake, which is where most of the oil comes from that ends up in the boost hoses/intercoolers/throttle body etc.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
That's one of the hoses that goes from the turbo to the intercoolers. Just tighten the hose clamps if you can, it will stop weeping oil out. Also, yes, it's normal for a bit of oil to be in the boost hoses. the PCV/crank breather rebreathes through the turbo intake, which is where most of the oil comes from that ends up in the boost hoses/intercoolers/throttle body etc.
Thank you so much! Just wanted to drop an update, this seems to have fixed it I haven't seen any leaks since I tightened it a few days ago. Thanks for the help!