2018 S5 gas in oil

Old 12-11-2018, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 S5 gas in oil

Purchased car February 2018 Audi Executive car with 8600 miles. After several weeks got warning yellow light oil sensor "too much oil" need to reduce . Called Day Audi dealership , said do not worry about it, probably hood latch. Brought car in to Day dealership to check sensor, no problems. Had 10,000 mile service in May 2018, oil change, check sensor. Warning light came back on in late September, car has no oil dip stick to actually check oil , so I recently purchased oil dip stick from ECS Tuning and oil level is high above billet onto cable and smells like gas. Called Audi Cochran Pittsburgh (Strip District ) 3 times yesterday and left name & number, no call back. Tried to call Fiore Audi, Hollidaysburg, PA , no answer , left message, no call back. Finally called Cochran Audi Service, Monroeville, talked to service agent about issues & made appointment to take car into service Wednesday morning. Asked if there is any danger driving car with gas in oil, and was told if the "check engine light" is not on there is no problem driving car. After talking to my local service tech, prior to driving car 50 miles , I am changing oil & filter, saving same to have Audi service techs to inspect. Looks like a chronic problem.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Additional info: had local oil service center change oil in Audi S 5, took out a little over 9 quarts of gasoline saturated oil out of car . Replace with 7.5 quarts of oil as per Audi specs. If anyone has had similar experience, please advise.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My oil level never changed at all up to the first change. Only way gas can be getting into the oil is past the piston rings. Dealer should do a compression test.
If the fuel-air mixture is good, there won't be a check engine, but if the rings are leaking, you'll get fuel in the oil (slowly).
Old 12-31-2018, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for your input. Dropped off vehicle at Audi dealership over Christmas week, everything checked out on various tests, told I needed to drive car longer distance , at least 20/30 minutes each week at highway speeds. Audi Corporate would not authorize any additional extensive tests, however did do oil & filter change. Drove car home 81 miles , Max Oil Light came on again, checked oil with ECS purchased oil dip stick, strong smell of gas in oil, notified dealer, instructed to have vehicle towed to dealership. Will keep you posted.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kona12A
Thank you for your input. Dropped off vehicle at Audi dealership over Christmas week, everything checked out on various tests, told I needed to drive car longer distance , at least 20/30 minutes each week at highway speeds. Audi Corporate would not authorize any additional extensive tests, however did do oil & filter change. Drove car home 81 miles , Max Oil Light came on again, checked oil with ECS purchased oil dip stick, strong smell of gas in oil, notified dealer, instructed to have vehicle towed to dealership. Will keep you posted.
I also have a Corporate car I bought in Sept with little over 9800 miles. Started getting reduce oil light after bout 350 miles after I bought it out of state. went out and came back. vented pressure on oil cap and it would be gone and it was intermittent. so I extracted bout 1 liter and electronic guage barely moved and I put back in fresh 12 oz. and back at max. But oil is very strong with gas that I saved and I'm taking THAT to DEALERSHIP. I'm guessing it WAS overfilled by dealership I bought it from and seems to be quite common. MOST of my trips are very short though and this engine does NOT like short trips. Curious on your outcome!! Going to watch if mine comes back!!
Old 01-02-2019, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

This is starting to be a problem on a lot of new cars with turbos and direct injected motors. If you run a search you will find lots of reports of the same thing (like this one https://forums.edmunds.com/discussio...ple-complaints).
Old 01-03-2019, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Great Info. Thanks. I know some gas gets into oil but mine is ridiculous and my commute is very short. My appointment at Audi Nashville is on 21st and he acted like he NEVER heard of a "Reduce oil Level" warning. lol.. I'm like yea right. It's an Audi! You've Got 4 other ones in your database under my name. But . U could get high off my dipstick or oilcap from the gas fumes.. But mine came From Chantilly, VA so no telling what they did with it. But I need some updates and another grocery hook like most of us and few other things but that's minor. This oil issue HAS to get dealt with!!! I'm NOT going to change my commute distance to make my engine happy!!
Old 01-03-2019, 05:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I called Audi Corporate and talked to customer advocate, they opened a case file on my car and will talk to Audi service center who currently has my car. Also filed a report on issue with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA). Will keep you posted.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My commute is very short each way and I understand the FSI principle with fuel condensation on short trips and then it burning off in longer trips but my previous fsi engines were fine. Something has changed. Dipstick and oil cap very strong fuel odor but after I drove it about 35-45 min at highway speeds light did go away before I extracted oil and my dipstick came in which is probably why. It burnt off fuel condensation from oil and that is NOT good long term solution... Fuel oil mix is not a healthy lubricant for internal parts. Makes me want my 8.5 back almost. we'll see what dealership says.. we're not the only ones with issues. s4's, s5's sq5's. googles full of write ups on various models.. sensors have problems in extreme cold which isn't our problem.. and I think there is a tsb fix for that..
Old 01-05-2019, 02:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got a call yesterday morning from dealership, they changed oil sensor, did computer "software" upgrade, checked oil viscosity , guy admitted oil smelled like gas but oil tested OK! Unbelievable. Guy asked my permission to keep the car a day or two to drive car and make sure "Max Oil Sensor" does not come on, and I agreed to that idea as I live 80 miles from dealer.Then at 4:45 PM I get another call from service manager that my car was ready for pick up, Audi said to release the car. I told him about my conversation with his assistant that they were to keep the car and drive it for a day or so and he said "NO", car is ready, no problems with the car! I asked him how do they explain the extra quart & half fuel in the oil which was taken out of the car prior to the last service, and he said that was due to short trip driving! My wife bought the car for driving to & from work which totals about 3 miles round trip. THIS HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE!

Last edited by Kona12A; 01-12-2019 at 05:42 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 S5 gas in oil